Tetanus booster?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you get a tetanus booster shot every 10 years as recommended for adults? Hubby and I have been discussing this. He cut his arm putting up fencing and a couple weeks ago I scratched my arm on barbwire. Both wounds became infected (tea tree oil cleared it up though). We're thinking we should get tetanus shots since we're both so accident prone. I know I haven't had one since 1985-86 and he can't remember the last one he had.

What are your thoughts?

2. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Yes, I get the tetanus boosters.

However, I believe they recommend another shot if you get a particularly deep wound between boosters.

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we get them every 5 years since we work with so much animals and fencing and poo, as recommended by our doc in CA

4. Ravenlost

Guess we'd better get them soon. We have a chicken coop and run to build, plus other projects. Need to get shots before we start all that.

SIGH...I hate shots. Of course, I'd probably hate having lockjaw even more.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I got one a couple of weeks ago at the county health department and surprisingly it was FREE. Once you get lockjaw there is no real treatment and 1 out of 3 die from what I read.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you are working around horses you especially need to keep the booster up! My mother's cousin died of lockjaw. BAD way to go and still no cure.

7. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

My doctor has me getting boosters yearly, I cut myself nearly every day though. I think it was the roadmap of scars on my hands that clued her in.

8. Ravenlost

Well, ya know we're out there with those horses every day. Hubby is off tomorrow...guess we better go get them.

Hmmm...we have to take the pup to the vet to be spayed. Wonder if he gives tetanus shots?