Tests for cancer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Buffy in Dallas, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

We just found out that my dad has cancer again. :Bawling: This is his 4th cancer. He's had mouth, skin, bladder and colon cancer. They took a tumor out of his bladder last week. It turned out to be a very aggressive type that would have killed him quick if we hadn't caught it early. We are terrified that if he gets a tumor somewhere that doesn't show symptons early, that the next one will get him permanently.
    Is there any screening test that will show tumors? Like a full body scan of some type that he could get every year as a screening. MRI or CATscan or ultra sound? Has anyone here done something like that?

2. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

My mother has bone cancer right now...metastized from breast cancer she had 11 years ago. She lives in North Carolina and is seeing a wonderful doctor at Duke Hospital. She gets a CAT/Pet Scan. You drink a radioactive solution and ANY where there is cancer in your body it shows up on the CAT scan. I'm surprised this hasn't been done for your dad yet. Push to get it done...that way if there is cancer somewhere else they can start treatment right away. Also blood work....they should be checking CEA levels.

Feel free to PM me if there are any other questions you have and I will ask my mom. It is a hard time to watch your parent go through this. God bless you all.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My heart goes out to you and your family. My Daddy died last August of colon cancer. He fought it for three years. In 1991 Daddy had lymphoma and was on chemo for a year. Amazingly he beat it. Afterwards he was required to have regular bloodwork done, but they didn't catch the colon cancer until it was in Stage 4 and had spread to his liver. They also discovered he had lung cancer, but chemo cleared that up. He had two colon surgeries and was on chemo for three years, but it was to late. He also had over 20 melanomas removed over the past few years.

Obviously, bloodwork didn't do what it should have for Daddy. I have heard of full body scans so it is something you could look into. Do a search online and check out this website:

http://www.bodyscandirectory.com/

I've thought about having a body scan done myself. At age 30 I had a three inch tumor removed from my neck, at age 38 I had a hysterectomy (thumbnail size uterine tumor and softball size tumor attached to an ovary) and when Daddy was diagnosed with colon cancer I had a colonoscopy and several precancerous polyps were removed.

4. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Ravenlost. That's exactly what I'm worried about. The only reason they found my dad's colon cancer was because he had a screening test done because of his age and family history. I did some surfing on CAT/Pet Scans and sent the results to my mom and dad. I'll talk to dad about schedualling one real soon! This reminded me that its time to do my mamogram. You can't be too careful!
    teresab, I hope your mom is doing well. It is scary when we realize our parents won't always be around. I just want to put that off as long as possible!!!

5. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I was told that blood test would show if you had cancer. Also if your kidneys and liver functions were good. Best of luck to you and your family.
    Mary