Testing ((again))

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

So over the past year i've bugged you all with questions about testing my goats. I thought I would do CAE and CL, and even have drawn blood from 3 of my 6 goats... Which is now too old and I just tried again on the only UNRULY doe I have and STILL cannot get blood from her... ARG. So I'm just gonna haul all 6 in the back of our enclosed pickup to the vet, lol. they're Miniatures and it shouldn't be that hard.
    Anywho, I was wondering if it is worth it to test goats for CL with blood tests... Or should I just say Abcess free? But I think that may be a little misleading, because some abcesses internal (and aren't the tests misleading also? or is that a rumor)? So what should I test for? CAE? CL? Johnes? TB? other? (I am registering my goats with the www.NMGA.net and will be tattooing them as well... So TB can be done)

2. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

I'll try to give my opion quickly. Talk to your vet. I don't know your states requirement for TB. PA no longer requires it and as a general rule goats don't get it so it probably isn't necessary. As far as Johnes is concerned ask how prevelant it is in your area and test accordingly. It probably is a good idea depending on were the goats came from. I know nothing about the test for CL so you well have to do some homework. The CAE test is probably the most critical. I was on a complete CAE provention program and culled all positive goats. You have to decide what you are going to do with the results if they don't come back clean. There are no cures for most of this, so the positive goats should go. Good luck to you.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I had my herd checked for CAE and CL at the same time with the same blood draw (all negative). To my knowledge, there is not a problem with the other diseases in my area and i tend to keep a closed herd with out goats coming in unless they come from a very reputable herd. If one of my goats would have had CL, I eould have destroyed it immediately and built new pens for my negative CL goats and retested them over and over. I would not have used the old pens again. CL is BAD! It is not ethical to pass a CL goat to anyone or to take it to an auction. A doe with CAE can still live a somewhat productive life and give you kids, but they must be removed from the mom at birth and NEVER be allowed to nurse or drink any of her colostrum or milk as it is passed to them that way. Better not to have CAE in your herd. I will not go into all the prevention needed here, there are many threads dicussing it.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yup Yup, know all that good junk already, lol. If I owned a doe with CAE I would practice prevention. If a goat had CL, I would cull it and probably have to sell the rest of my herd unless my dad would be willing to spend a bunch more money on more fencing... Doubt that!
    I don't talk to my vet about goat stuff unless absolutely needed. They don't know goats and I don't trust them. They don't even really know why I bought probiotics when my doe had diarrhia, and told me that she had pneumonia (diarrhia is a sign of pneumonia? since when?) And I wormed her as suggested on this board and the diarrhia went away... To them, it seems like everything is pneumonia. Makes me wonder if my wether that died 2 years ago really had pneumonia. They don't know why on earth I would ever want to test my goats for diseases, it's a 'waste of time' in thier opinion, or at least not worth educating themselves on it.
    ANYWHO, after my veterinarian rant, I still need to know if the CL test is accurate. I thought I heard some people say that they don't do blood tests for CL because they aren't fully accurate.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If a goat ha sbeen vaccinated against CL, then the blood test will/may show that the goat is positive for CL so you don't know if it is or isn't, that may be some of the confusion.

My vet could not understand why i wanted to test my goats for CAE and CL if it was not mandatory and if there were not tags to put on the goats afterwards declaring the goats disease free (of CAE and CL). I tried to explain that the dairy goat world is small and much of this is based on the "honor system" and that unethical breeders were quickly found out. I told him it was for my benefit and my goats benefit. He didn't know how any of this could be done without tags. I explained that registered goats had tattoos and that all goats had names and that the paper work would match tattoos and names or just names. He just could not understand at all where I was coming from. He was especially concerned because my Lamanchas have no ears. He thought something had happened to them. Not real knowledgeable on goats and goat breeders.

6. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

"I thought I heard some people say that they don't do blood tests for CL because they aren't fully accurate."

But neither are the CAE tests. They count the number of cells they find or something like that and if its under a certain number you are negative and if your count is over, you're positive. Thats why you need to retest all the time, levels can change. And that's why you should use the same university for testing as they have differing opinions on what is that magical number. But, they will never tell you that #. It can be frustrating. I tested my nubians for CAE, CL, and G6S the first time (only nubian and nubian crosses can have G6S so don't worry about your little ones) and from then on I tested for cae one a year and cl every other year. I haven't added anyone to my herd so testing every 6 months seemed a little overkill and way to expensive.

Good Luck with your blood work, I hope everything turns out okay for your babies.