testing a dog tomorrow...wish us luck!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Meg Z, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We've got a blue-tick mix rescue dog coming to visit tomorrow, to see how he reacts to the livestock and especially the poultry. His foster home can't even tell me how he reacts to cats and squirrels, so it's a full test!

If he looks like he'll be okay with them, and he seems like he'd be okay with moving in, then we may have a doggy. Good timing, too, as hubby leaves again soon. An 85 pound visual deterrent who likes skritches would be nice to have around!

So cross those fingers and toes. :)

Meg

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A big ole Bluetick can coldnose the worst of tresspassers.

3. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope he works out for you!

I'd be at a loss without dogs around though only two of mine can be trusted around the livestock. It just wouldn't be home without dogs :)

Will keep our fingers crossed.

Pauline

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

LOL...that's why he'd just be a 'visual deterrent'. Gotta love a hound dog!

Meg

5. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Meg, the first dog I got upon moving out to the countryside was a bluetick coonhound from a local shelter. I added ducklings the following spring. Being a pretty good hunter, every time he got loose there was at least one dead duck! One crazy duck even managed to get into his fenced yard and only lasted a few seconds after I let him out - not knowing she was there.

Given half a chance, he might have licked someone to death! He would bark initially, and then his tail would start wagging.

He was quite a character, and had the softest ears! He got along very well with the indoor cats.

Each dog has his/her own personality, and if mixed with another breed, there are even more variables. I enjoyed my coonhound, and hope things work out well for you! I may also be getting a rescue dog next week, and will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

How exciting! We often times have to 'cat test' or 'small dog test' the greyhounds as well. Please let us know how it goes! :)

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, the dog was a no-go for us :Bawling:

An absolutely gorgeous beastie, though. He'll make someone in town with a fenced yard an excellent pet.

The entire foster family brought him. He was on a leash held by a chubby young teenage girl. He immediently started his nose going, trying to bring in even possible scent...and pulling hard on the leash. I suggested that before we move from the spot that the leash be transferred to my husband. :cool: I expected the dog to be excited by all the new smells and such, but wanted to see what his response was. So, we headed for the sheep pasture first, since there was a good fence between. The sheep came running, stomping their feet and snorting at the intruder...to my husband's surprise. He hasn't been around the sheep much!

Jester the dog was interested, but not unreasonably so, so we followed the fence around toward the poultry. Oh, my. He wasn't too bad until one of the turkeys startled. When she jumped, so did he, but not backwards. She would have been a quick snack! :croc: I'm glad all of the poultry was in the pasture and not walking around the yard like they often do. Jester pulled my husband nearly of his feet several times, and was too excited to be called down even for a moment to look at a person.

All agreed that Jester would not work for us. My husband remarked after they left that if we didn't have the stock, the dog would have stayed. We both really liked him. He just isn't suited to be around livestock...or cats, for that matter. One of the times he almost took my husband off his feet, and the only time he bayed, was when he saw our barncat. She didn't stick around long!

So, I'm back to waiting until my friend's dog has her puppies, and then we'll have a couple mastiff's running around. But it would have been nice to have a dog now, while hubby is deployed again. :(

Meg

8. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

That's a bummer. :( Hang in there though..everything happens for a reason. :)