Test your skills! ;)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KayJay, Nov 29, 2006.

1. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd see how many people could guess what breed/cross my old buddy "Bucky" was.... I know exactly what he was as he was born here at my grandparents' place to their doe bred to the neighbor's buck, so you'll have an answer in the end! lol
    [​IMG]

This pic was taken last year, when he was 14 years old, this was about 6 months before he died. He weighed about 150lbs in his prime and had a crooked horn due to a botched disbudding done by the neighbor without anyone's consent (you can see why he wasn't given consent, look at those horns!). This guy cemented my fledgling love for goats, and everyone that met him loved him. My Grandma named him, but I thought it was kinda rude to name a whether "Bucky" lol. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and all the animals they had. Bucky was always so special, and I spent many various days crying and begging them not to sell him. I used to come out with a cup of cold water for him during the hot months, and he actually drank from it just as a human would. I shared my Reese's Peanut Butter cups with him all the time because they were his favorite treat (yes I know now that I shouldn't feed goats candy lol). When I was old enough to hold a job, he became my goat, and my responsibility, so no more begging them to keep him! Bucky lived out his life free to roam the 10+ acre pasture and do whatever he pleased. When he finally died, he went peacefully during the night (he was still curled up in the position he always slept in) and I was expecting it at his age.
    Some kids grow up with a dog for a best friend, some a cat, me.... I had a goat for a best friend. :)

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

My guess is Pygmy/Nubian....and he is so cute! :)

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Pygmy/alpine? He's a cutie!

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

5. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Nubian Alpine

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I agree with DocM

8. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

nubian/saanen

9. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to wait a few days to give ya the answer, but I just couldn't. lol ;) His momma was a fat little silver pygmy and his poppa was a big fat brown nubian. I always thought he was rather big for being half pygmy, does anyone else think so or am I just to hung up on how small his momma was? By the way, I never would have bred a small pygmy doe to a large nubian buck, I didn't breed them, so please don't tell me what a risk it was. :p

10. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I was right! Did I win a prize???? :p

11. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I was going to say Alpine Nubian as well. I guess I've got Alpine-itis, since I have a barn full of them.

BTW, anyone have use for a Nubian Buck? He's a real Nubian, but not registered, neither are his parents. He throws nice babies though. I have two of his daughters I'm having registered as NOA. His owner needs to make room for a pony for his son so he said I can have his one Nubian doe and this buck free. (I'll give him to anyone who wants him.) I have no use for the buck though. I'll breed the Nubian doe to my Boers.

Ruth

12. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

I thought, too, that since he weighed so much and was so big that he couldn't be part pygmy/dwarf!

Allison