Test Pregnancy Re-Breeding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. Hilda

    Hilda Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    203
    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
    I've read the pros and cons about re-mating after 14 - 18 days to see if the doe will accept the buck. Who does it here and what have been your results? Have you ever had does that lost litters because of re-breeding? If the does do accept, do you ever get kits from the re-breeding if she doesn't kindle on due date?

    Thanks in advance for any advice or personal experience. :)
     
  2. MaggieJ

    MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    11,280
    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
    Good question, Hilda! I've never done this because I have been too afraid of having two sets of buns in the oven... but it would be interesting to hear other people's experiences. Actually, I've never yet had a doe miss, so I guess I have been very lucky.
     

  3. Al. Countryboy

    Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    617
    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2004
    Location:
    Alabama
    Like Maggie, I have heard that they could have 2 preg. going at the same time and would most of the time loose the last bred bunch of kits. Be patient and wait those extra 12 days. :) Usually after about 3 weeks I can tell if my does are preg. by looking any way. Also one of my does will fuss at me if she is bred when she is about 2 weeks into her pregnancy. She was bred on the 12th. of Oct. and starting fussing at me about 4or 5 days ago. She doesn't do if any other time. Good luck
     
  4. raybait1

    raybait1 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    267
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Location:
    Southeast Texas
    I think I read that its the hare that can get preg 2 times, not the rabbit.
    possibly mistaken though.
     
  5. Honorine

    Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

    Messages:
    1,735
    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2006
    Location:
    PA
    I don't do it because of the risk of losing both litters. What I've been told is that the doe can often concieve in one horn the first time, then in the other the second time. What can happen is that the second litter messes up the first one, causing neither to develop properly, and the does passes 'blobs' or 'marbles'. I've also heard of does producing and taking care of litters that were two weeks apart, making separate nests, normally in a colony setup. I have heard of it, I don't think it happens often. Not many breeders that I know use the rebreeding test to check pregnancy, most wait and see.
     
  6. mustard

    mustard Active Member

    Messages:
    37
    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    I did this with one doe because I'd bred her two or three times with no results...so she delivered a litter of six; three were full term and three were way premature...lost the whole litter, but I don't remember why the full term kits died, it's possible that she wasn't nursing them...I lost several litters in a row during that six month period of time...(she was one of three does)...by the way, this doe acts the most promiscuous of any doe I've ever owned, a real nympho...

    After that she kindled and raised her kits...and one of the other does, too...so then I had too many rabbits and the pet store wouldn't buy them, after they had asked me to raise them! So I've been eating them...
     
  7. annie716

    annie716 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    280
    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    I've used the 14 day re-breed/check many times with no ill effects. I've never had a second conception that I know of. If you aren't able to palpatate(?), I'm could never get it, it saves valuable time rather than waiting the extra days. If you're raising for meat/money it makes a difference. Usually my does that did take the first time will start growling & whining as soon as they get near the buck, that's usually a sure sign for me that they are bred.
     
  8. Hilda

    Hilda Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    203
    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
    Thanks everybody for your ideas, experiences & advice, I found it very helpful.

    I've had three misses now and I'm looking at all options. All three does should be pregnant at this time. If no-one has kits, I guess I'm going to consider if it is my buck that isn't delivering (which why the does don't deliver :rolleyes: ). It was a very hot summer and perhaps he is temporarily shooting blanks. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but perhaps getting another buck might be an option.

    My biggest concern about the re-breeding was the possibility of harming the doe or her kits.

    I did let Sunfire (due Nov.22) run around with Gem and she didn't want anything to do with him at all. So we'll see.

    Thanks again, you all are great!