terrorists attack on the farmlands.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 28, 2005.

1. Was reading in the newspaper the other day about how the next terrorists attacks may not be in some big city where their will be thousands killed at once but could well be out here in the country on the big farm business. They could release diseases that would have a major effect on our farm animals or grain feed.

Since most of the feed we feed our animals come from the feed store and every so often we have to introduce new bloodline into our animal stock for better gene pool, as homesteaders how could we better prepare for a terrorists attack?

2. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Prepare like the Mormons do by keeping a years worth of staples on hand. Raise your own feed.

But, honestly, the 'grow' part of is pretty decentralized, isn't it? If I were a terrorist mastermind, I'd be doing my sabotage somewhere in the processing stage. Perhaps introducing botulism toxin at a food processing factory or introducing hoof and mouth disease at a feedlot or hog cholera at a giant hog confinement. Maybe put something nasty into a chicken processing plant.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot is being done, you would all be surprised. But, hard to stop an undefined attack, so mostly it just costs us farmers with more paperwork......

--->Paul

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I posted a link yesterday for a plant biosecurity course being offered online free by EDEN.

It's supposed to be designed to help farmers/ranchers and extension agents prepare for a possible attack on out agriculture system.

Nikki

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Agribusiness is more at risk than the homesteader...until you look at where our feed comes from.

What makes it such a possible target is that agribusiness has eliminated diversity. Most milk comes from holsteins, most eggs from leghorns, most corn one type, etc. Having such a monoculture exposes it to breed specific diseases. Just like certain breeds of dogs are more prone to certain diseases, or the recent blight that's affecting dogwoods...or the one for redtips...or American chestnuts.

It probably wouldn't be difficult for someone to develop a disease that targets our food plants. The animals would be a bit harder, but not much.

The good side is, that the homesteader has a tendency to NOT have that monoculture. We grow open-pollinated heirloom foods, heritage livestock, and maintain diversity on our places (We may just like the look of having a couple different breeds of this and that, but diversity is what it is!) The more of our own livestock feed we can grow, the better off we'll be, of course.

I don't have enough land to grow my own feed. If push came to shove, though, I could probably manage to feed the poultry and rabbits. The goats I couldn't do.

"Country folk will survive"

Meg