Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am miserable! I cant even remember the last time Ive had an earache

For the past few days Ive had a mucusy cold. Today I woke up and (sorry for the grossness) sucked it all back, causing my left ear to become clogged.

For awhile I just ignored it then it started getting painful and my hearing was lessening in the ear.
I tried swallowing big gulps, holding my nose and blowing out, holding my ear to the side and jumping, laid on a heating pad for an hour....

The pressure started cauing my eye to twinge and a pain towards my jaw.

Then I had the bright idea to dab a qtip in tea tree oil and swab the ear.
Pressures gone, pain sky rocketed.
Man.. a good 15 minutes I was pacing the floor, jumping up and down and on the verge of tears. My kids called their father they were so scared, bless their little hearts.

It was an intense stabbing pain that went to my jaw line with every pulse beat.
The pain has lessened but is still there with a little pressure.

Whats my next move?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Sweet oil. Or olive oil. Warm it up in a spoon with a heat source (lighter or over the eye on the stove). Sop it up with a cotton ball and let it cool a bit. Test the temp on the little thingy that pokes out above the lobe of your ear before you get to the inside of the ear. Lie down with the ear that is hurting up. Squeeze the warm oil into your ear and then stuff the cotton ball behind it. Then sleep for as long as you can.

From someone who was plagued with earaches since I can recall, this is the only thing that brings me relief. And it seems to work much better if you can have someone else do it for you, like your daddy. :)

If you have the time and ability to suck the pain up a little longer, add a touch of garlic to the oil when you're heating it. If it is hurting that badly it may rupture - but it may not. Good news is, if it does pop the pain stops. :) Bad news is - it could become infected. If it pops you will know it. Keep it clean, keep it covered so nothing can get inside (water, dirt, dust, goat dander) ... and know that if you go to the doc they WILL tell you antibiotics are required. That'll be your choice - as an adult I skip the meds and just keep it clean.

I hope you find relief quickly. I know how badly it hurts. And earache is about the only pain that brings me to my knees at this age. :(

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Try a nasal decongestant mist. Dont use it but once or twice though. If it doesn't stop the pain, get thee to the doctor before your eardrum bursts.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Ignoring it can cause a ruptured eardrum and loss of hearing. If it's still hurting, get medical help. If it quits hurting, its either better or the drum ruptured lessening the pressure.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Next time, put the ti tree oil under your ears at the first hint of pain.

Reactions: SeaGoat

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pain isn't s bad but still there. I'm going to try boiling some ginger root to help.

I'll try the warm olive oil as well

·
Registered
573 Posts
It sounds like your q-tip swiped the eardrum, behind which the congestion is building up; that's why the pressure relieved but the pain skyrocketed.

If your ear infection was caused by congestion, then you have to address that cause so that the ear congestion has someplace to go, else it may continue to build and eventually rupture your eardrum -- ask me how I know :( Mucinex/guaifenesin is the best I've found for that, though it doesn't work equally well for everyone. Whatever congestion medicine works for you, take it in prescription/extra-strength doses and continue taking it for several days so that the congestion doesn't return. As others have mentioned, you may need to see a doctor if the medicine doesn't begin to work soon.

For pain, anti-inflammatory medication can help, as can a very hot damp washcloth held over the ear. You mentioned lying on a heating pad -- you need to lie with the affected ear up so that the congestion can drain back down the eustachian tube. If the tube is completely inflamed it may be so swollen that it can't drain. Ibuprofen or another NSAID can help reduce the swelling.

I have had many ear infections related to sinus infections, and many related to allergies as well (until I found the vinegar trick I relate below). You may find, as I did, that you are susceptible to multiple types of ear infections after getting one really bad one. Antibiotics will only work on bacterial infections; many ear infections are fungal. If antibiotics aren't working on your ear infection, try dripping 3-5 drops of a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol into the affected ear several times a day. The vinegar creates an environment in which fungus cannot live, and the alcohol helps it dry out faster so that you aren't adding moisture to your ear, which can help fungus grow (note that the hot washcloth tip above can exacerbate this issue). This simple treatment has eliminated the recurring ear infection I had for two years, as long as I dripped it in at the first sign of pain or itching. Again, it will only work on fungal infection -- for bacterial you would need antibiotics.

Good luck. The worst pain I have ever felt was from the worst ear infection my doctor had ever seen -- until the eardrum ruptured, which relieved the pain but left me without hearing in that ear for six weeks until the eardrum healed.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes!

I took 800mg ibprophin (finally found it) and it's helped.
The ginger root helped as well.
The pain is almost completely gone, the pressure is there

·
Registered
573 Posts
The pressure is just the congestion. It's unpleasant, but if the pain was relieved by ibuprofen that's a good sign :) Don't try to hold your nose and blow -- that'll force the congestion toward the eardrum. Best thing is to let it run its course, keep taking the ibuprofen and whatever cold medicine relieves congestion for you. Most of the time it'll clear up without needing additional treatment. (As always, and as others have mentioned, if it doesn't clear up soon, best to see a doctor.)

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Ok, I know this is going to gross everyone out, but it works. :D If, with your mouth open, you hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle to your nostril, you will feel it sucking all the gunk out of your nose. Now, still holding it there, say, "tick, tick, tick", and it will suck the gunk from higher in your sinuses. Do this, alternating ticking and no ticking for 4 or five minutes to really get the gunk out and relieve the congestion.
:D See, I told you :D
This isn't something you want to do all the time, but will help when in the OP's position.
Those nose spray decongestants work very well, but if you use them more than a time or two you get dependent on them. I'll only use them when absolutely necessary, and then never twice in a 24 hr period and not for more than three days. Typically, I'll use them at night to sleep.

I actually learned the vacuum cleaner trick from an ear doctor. ;)

ETA
Now, I don't want to see everyone with hickies on their noses in the morning.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You got some great suggestions - garlic oil is wonderful, vinegar works great on fungal infections. Also, Hylands has natural ear ache drops and they have always relieved pain for me (and the kids). But with all that said, if it does not get back to normal soon, you need to see a doctor. I nearly lost my hearing 3 years ago because I was trying to deal with an ear infection by myself. It would get better but come back. Then, during a physical I mentioned my ear issues to my primary doctor. She said they looked so horrible that she would not touch them and sent me to an ENT pronto. I have scaring from the infection but thankfully no permanent hearing loss.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am miserable! I cant even remember the last time Ive had an earache

For the past few days Ive had a mucusy cold. Today I woke up and (sorry for the grossness) sucked it all back, causing my left ear to become clogged.

For awhile I just ignored it then it started getting painful and my hearing was lessening in the ear.
I tried swallowing big gulps, holding my nose and blowing out, holding my ear to the side and jumping, laid on a heating pad for an hour....

The pressure started cauing my eye to twinge and a pain towards my jaw.

Then I had the bright idea to dab a qtip in tea tree oil and swab the ear.
Pressures gone, pain sky rocketed.
Man.. a good 15 minutes I was pacing the floor, jumping up and down and on the verge of tears. My kids called their father they were so scared, bless their little hearts.

It was an intense stabbing pain that went to my jaw line with every pulse beat.
The pain has lessened but is still there with a little pressure.

Whats my next move?
Sounds like you may have a blocked eustachion tube. I had it happen with a cold a whole lot of years ago. As far as I know, there is nothing you can about it and it just has to resolve itself. Hopefully, I'm wrong on that because it is incredibly painful! :(

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Sounds like you may have a blocked eustachion tube. I had it happen with a cold a whole lot of years ago. As far as I know, there is nothing you can about it and it just has to resolve itself. Hopefully, I'm wrong on that because it is incredibly painful! :(

I had an all nighter with this ONE time, when I was about 28yo. A miserable night indeed. The vacuum helped, but relief came about sunup, when I was able to get someone to bring me some Afrin. I thought my head was going to explode. There was no way I could drive. That nasal spray is bad stuff to get hooked on but, at a time like that, it is just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My bout with it was 40 years ago and, although Mom called the doctor, he said there was nothing that could be done except endure until it cleared out. It finally cleared out several days later. I'm so glad that there are now options to treat it!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The original ear is about 90% back to normal. Now the other one is flirting with becoming clogged.

I'm not even sure why I'm sick. Probably the weather going hot cold hot cold.
I don't know what kind of meds to take.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Ok, I know this is going to gross everyone out, but it works. :D If, with your mouth open, you hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle to your nostril, you will feel it sucking all the gunk out of your nose. Now, still holding it there, say, "tick, tick, tick", and it will suck the gunk from higher in your sinuses. Do this, alternating ticking and no ticking for 4 or five minutes to really get the gunk out and relieve the congestion.
:D See, I told you :D
This isn't something you want to do all the time, but will help when in the OP's position.
Those nose spray decongestants work very well, but if you use them more than a time or two you get dependent on them. I'll only use them when absolutely necessary, and then never twice in a 24 hr period and not for more than three days. Typically, I'll use them at night to sleep.

I actually learned the vacuum cleaner trick from an ear doctor. ;)

ETA
Now, I don't want to see everyone with hickies on their noses in the morning.
Did you tell Mrs. Stone this story? ;)

Glad the earache is easing. I have not had one since childhood. I don't want them for anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
herbal remedy is to boil an onion. cut it in half. wrap with towel and hold to ear until onion cools off. the heat raises the temp inside the ear and bacteria can not live with elevated heat. also, the onion fumes seem to penetrate the ear drum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts