Termite contract- Renew??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!! I was wondering what everyone does about the issue of subterranean termites?? I had a problem with my home about 12 years ago and had a major termite company treat the house at a cost of about $800. They charge a yearly fee for inspection and re-treatment if necessary. Since that time I had one spot treatment. We have now added on the house (20X30) and during my annual inspection, I was told that I would have to have the "new" structure treated to keep my coverage. The cost will be $400. I will then probably have to pay more on my yearly fee - presently $135 (it started out to be $89 - 15 years ago)
    I feel this is a rip-off but I do not know of any alternative - how does the rest of the world handle this problem??

Appreciate any feedback.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Here is the alternative. Contact your agriculture extension office and sign up to get your pesticide license for agriculture use. This license will not let you do work for others but you can buy and apply products for your own use. The return on the effort is tremendous.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I don't know where you live or if termites are a problem in your area. I just learn to identify termites and do my own inspections. I have no idea what they use for treatment now but I'm sure you could buy and treat yourself as someone else said.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just came from a class that said that the treatments that include baited traps DO NOT WORK. Instead, try the chemicals that treat the area specifically. They have limited area use. I can look up the names if you send me a PM. Other than that you are wasting your $ (per a doctorate degree gal who seems to know).

5. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I live in Central Texas (South of Austin) - there is a saying around here - there are "3" things you can count - the last being termites - you either have them or will get them at some point.

I agree it seems like a lot of $$$ and the ongoing "insurance" will be similar to taxes.

My dilemma is that (other than finding out about a pesticide license), most all treatments are restricted purchase.

I don't mind spending the money if it is money well spent - just looking for possible alternatives.

More comments??

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With your license you will be able to buy restricted used insecticides for your personal use.

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The area of the country is important, here in CO I would say to pass on the retreatment. The further south you go, the more risk termites pose for the property. As an exterminator I can tell you that the initial treatment part of the termite job is all the work. The warranty is gravy. There are specialized tools and some of them you can't rent. If your home is in termite country, I'd say pay them to do the treatment, and pass on the warranty. But if you do this, you better babysit the job and do your own annual inspections. Baiting the termites can be very effective, but you must sign up for the whole program. Soil poisons will last a decade or so, and you really don't need the annual warranty if the job is well done. You already had a retreatment. Was the job improperly done, or do you live in termite heaven?