Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try growing tepary beans and I am in EC KS. Will they grow here? I know they like hot and dry. It does get hot in the late summer here, but there is usually humidity also.

I would love to hear from anyone that has grown these beans.

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
Kansas is not that far removed from their Southwest origins. I've grown the Black and Sonoran Gold varieties. The black one was great and although a bush plant, acted more like a short runner. That gave a tremendous return per seed planted. The gold one remained short but production was poor. Both were subject to mildew on the lower leaves and pods if crowded too much in damp weather. The black ones are perfect for black beans and rice while the gold ones went into a general soup mix.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Paquebot. The varieties I have comming is the brown and white. I have heard so many good things about their health benefits, etc. so I hope they will grow.

Is it too late in the summer to plant them? We are still getting lots of rain. Just on the edge of some of the real nasty stuff, but the ground is still wet with some rain almost every day. It is usually dry by now.

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
I would not even consider planting them this year. Tepary beans are not noted for their earliness and you haven't even got them into the ground yet. Brown Speckled is one of the earliest at 75 days while Sonoran White is 90 days. Black is 80 days and it took all of that and more last year. Sonoran Gold seemed to go on forever before finally making pods and listed at 100 days. Just plain Gold is at 120-150 days and suitable only for growing in the warmest parts of the Southwest. Those days to maturity are according to SSE member listings in the yearbook.

Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.