Tent Catapillers-HELP!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by steff bugielski, May 30, 2006.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I had some in the apple trees but burned them early. Now there are little ones every where. They have eaten all the new buds on the apple trees. More upsetting, since the apples don't ever give any fruit to speak of, They ate the flowers off my new blueberry bushes. The only ones still un eaten are the late variety. I must repel or eliminate them now. Help. What do I do.
    I was watching those blueberries sop closly. Planted them last fall and they alredy had lots of flowers and fruit. All for not.
    Steff

2. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

ARGH! I hate tent caterpillars!!

You could take the time and energy to use a long stick or pole, wind up the webbing, and burn it.

That said, most folks know that I am so organic that it irritates the heck out of friend and family alike, but the only thing I know that will destroy tent catepillars is Sevin.

If it was me, I would get the Sevin. Spray it. Save the trees and bushes.

Pony!

4. Taney

Taney Member

I had them here as well. They came in waves. I thought the problem was over after the first wave, but I learned my lesson; they came back twice and they may come back again. Remember that for next year. I spent a great deal of time grabbing the little demons with large tweezers, then burnt them on a grill. I would have to go out once every couple of hours to check on things. They were disgusting. Covered the entire back wall of my house at one point. Yuck.