Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a terrible time adjusting the bobbin tension on my Singer Sewing machine #401A....any tips??? I have tried nearly every thing and I would love to whip up a few cute Christmas things but...my tension is very loose so it looks terrible.:help:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Righty tighty -- Lefty loosey

If the machine is a front loading bobbin------

Put the bobbin in the case with thread on it like for sewing. Then hold the tail of thread and let go if it drops with out a jerk keep thightening the screw.

If you can't get the bobbin and case to move with jerk as you drop it then it needs loosened.

If the tightening makes no difference then there is something stuck behind the tension piece. You will need to take it apart.

To take it apart-- put the bobbin case inside a small plastic baggie (this is so you don't lose any of the pieces) and gently remove the tension screw. Lift the tension piece and clean with your sewing machine brush. put it all back together and test.

If your machine is a top loading bobbin your hook/bobbin case may be chipped and the repair is best left to a repair person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts