Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just Hanging On
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am usually a lurker here and appreciate all of you who post very much, however I am in need of some advice from anyone who lives in Tennessee.

We currently live in the Pacific Northwest (Western Washington) My DH has a great job here so that is not a conisderation. He is interviewing today (at the request of a friend) for a job in Chattanooga Tennessee.

It sounds like he could have this job if he wants it but I know nothing about Tennessee. Can you help? I would only want to move if we can move to a place that we can make secure in the case of TSHTF. What is your opinion?? If we did this where should we be looking to move? What do you know that I can't find on the web??

Thanks so much for your help, Tracy in WA

·
Registered
549 Posts
Didn't want to read and run, but unfortunately I don't know anything about Tennessee. I do have ex-family who moved there when they retired - building similar 'McMansions' around a pond with a huge HOA. They said it was the 'new florida' for retirement. I am sure that is very specific areas, but just a thought to toss out there.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
39,740 Posts
That is the lower edge of the Smokie Mtn area. There are red necks and hollars and such. Check out the LookOut Mtn area to get some idea of the topo of that place. I'd think there'd be very good obscure places to live around Chattanooga.

Hopefully some members, more local to Chattanooga, will come by and help.

Angie

·
Registered
799 Posts
Chattanooga is actually a great little city, though awful hot. A nice and clean downtown, a great aquarium, small but cheap zoo, good minor league baseball, nice riverfront.

A little north is the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge megalopolis, which is absolutely hideous.

In between are what appeared to be some pretty nice little towns and country areas.

I don't know what your personal vision of TSHTF is, so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I grew up about 60 miles northeast of Chattanooga. It is a neat town. The humidity is probably going to be the greatest adjustment. The people are very friendly and the pace is slower. Spring is usually cool and wet, summer hot, humid and dry, the fall is absolutely gorgeous and usually dry and winter is usually cool but not too cold. You might get 1 good (3-4") snowfall and the rest will be dustings(for which they will close the schools). Land prices are not too bad. If you go rural then $3-5k per acre. There are no taxes except for sales tax of 9.75% on EVERYTHING and property(land) tax. The schools are fair but the roads are better. Overall it is a neat place to live, especially if you love the mountains. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Chattanooga is actually a great little city, though awful hot. A nice and clean downtown, a great aquarium, small but cheap zoo, good minor league baseball, nice riverfront.

A little north is the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge megalopolis, which is absolutely hideous.

In between are what appeared to be some pretty nice little towns and country areas.

I don't know what your personal vision of TSHTF is, so I can't comment on that.
i live in east central tn not far from g'burg and pf. i agree with this.

tn is so varied it's hard to say if what you are looking for is here.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Chattanooga is a great little city! It is beautiful - wooded and hilly with a nice river. Think "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" town. Close to Atlanta and Nashville for extended fun and airports. Close to the Smokey Mtns and less than a day's drive from the ocean. Lots of history there.

TN in general is HOT and HUMID in summer. Did I mention HUMID? Winters are mild. Largest weather-related threats would be ice storms or tornadoes. In 12 years, we never experienced the roads being closed due to ice storms - rather, their thread is to bring down the power lines. A generator is a good investment. We were only without power for more than a few hours once. Tornadoes...well, they are hit or miss and can be deadly in TN. Snow is infrequent and will close the place down with less than an inch as the cities have no snow removal equipment. Over closer towards the Smokey mtns might be different. Winter starts in Dec and ends in Mar - give or take a week or two. I picked fresh tomatoes for Thanksgiving dinner several times. There is a long growing season, good soil (once you tame the clay) -usually acidic. Many fruit trees and berries thrive there. Common crops are cotton and corn. Not many homes have basements - since the footings don't have to go down very far...basements aren't considered as cheap to build. It isn't that they CAN'T be built. Most builders won't know a thing about them.

TN has no state tax - sales tax is high 8.979% (?)
cost of living is LOW
Home costs compared to the rest of the nation - Very LOW
Wages compared to the rest of the nation - LOW
Schools - questionable - check them out! Education level in TN in general - LOW but there are good school to be found. Homeschool friendly - fill out your paperwork or use an umbrella school and they won't bother with you. Some school districts still bus students.

Check to be sure they are not still fighting the civil war in Chattanooga as they are in other parts of the state. :bash: The term "Yankee" is often heard. TN isn't as cosmopolitain as Atlanta is. And forget about southern hospitality -folks are nice, but standoffish at times.

We lived in TN for 12 years - Chatanooga is a very nice place.

I can't think of a single place that is TSHTF proof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love Chattanooga. I love Tennessee. that said, if you've never been to the south I would recommend visiting for a week or two during the summer just to see if you could live with the heat/humidity before making a move

·
Registered
296 Posts
We looked at Tennessee, and considered moving there. It has a lot going for it, but it is not homeschool friendly.
I really have to disagree with that last part of your post. Tennessee is actually one of the easier states to homeschool in from what I hear. 180 days are required with at least 4 hours of instruction a day. I homeschool and live in TN. I've not had issues but then again I am signed up under an Christian umbrella school. We did homeschool under the local superintendent one year though (our first homeschool year) and it went smooth.

I used to live in a suburb of Chattanooga... Hixson and then Red Bank.

There are rural area outside of Chattanooga that you may find interesting. Dayton, Pikeville, Dunlap, Jasper and a few others. All are small towns with that small town feel and have a lot of farm area. There are also other cities in easy driving distance that are bigger than the above such as Athens, Collegedale, Ootlewah, and Cleveland.

Price of where you want to live, etc. will vary of course from area to area.

Tax in TN is high... 9.75% on non-food and I think it's still 9.25% on food items.

Chattanooga has since done away with the "blue law" so now all stores open early on Sunday. It used to be a law they couldn't open until noon. That's changed now.

As with any small towns, you're going to be limited on what's available to you but you can drive into Chattanooga from any of the aforementioned towns easily within 45 minutes or less.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm a lurker here, too, but I saw this and wanted to help if I could.

I live in West Tennessee, but I love Middle and East Tennessee. West TN has Memphis, and Memphis is horrible. Lots of crime. So stay as far away from there as possible. But further east is really beautiful land. We've been to Middle TN a lot lately, and I'm always shocked by just the difference in people's attitudes up there from near yucky Memphis- they're a lot nicer, from what I've seen. The land is also very very beautiful, if you like hills and mountains.

Some cons (about TN in general) would be that the ticks and other pests are pretty prolific due to the milder winters and hot, humid summers. There are a lot of "********", which some people dislike in general, but honestly some of them are great people. Some are not. If you buy a lot of land, you may have problems with hunters using it without permission. (I have nothing against hunting, btw, I enjoy tagging along with those who do myself, but I'm just pointing out that some of the less decent hunters don't respect people's property as they should.)

Pros: Longer growing season, good fishing and hunting, lots of rural land, I said before it's beautiful further east. The winters are mild, but we still *usually* get snow, so you kind of get the best of both worlds there.

Oh, I should also mention that I was homeschooled all through highschool and most of middle school. Most of my friends were homeschooled, and I know several people that are still in homeschool. I don't know about further east, but in my area there are large groups of homeschoolers, parents get together to do co-ops for teaching difficult classes (like math- I had an outside teacher for that.) People make plans for homeschoolers to get together and socialize.

Over all, I think if you got a good place you could prep very well. You will have a long growing season so you can have a big garden and put tons of stuff up.

·
Appalachian American
9,315 Posts
I really have to disagree with that last part of your post. Tennessee is actually one of the easier states to homeschool in from what I hear. 180 days are required with at least 4 hours of instruction a day. I homeschool and live in TN. I've not had issues but then again I am signed up under an Christian umbrella school. We did homeschool under the local superintendent one year though (our first homeschool year) and it went smooth.
It may well be easier there than I had believed. My opinion was formed by the fact that the state won't hire people who were homeschooled. I figured if the state had a mindset like that, homeschooling wasn't well protected by the state legislature.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Don't know what your looking for. There are some nice rural areas in Georgia that are within a few minutes of Chattanooga as well. Chattanooga is just North of the state line. The valley on the west side of Lookout Mountain is beautiful, rural and close. There are also lots of rural areas in all directions around Chattanooga in Tennessee as well. There are also some nice subdivisions on the Mountains around the east side of Chattanooga.

·
mean people suck
2,384 Posts
It may well be easier there than I had believed. My opinion was formed by the fact that the state won't hire people who were homeschooled. I figured if the state had a mindset like that, homeschooling wasn't well protected by the state legislature.

That had to do with the fact that state and local govermental entities didn't give diplomas from homeschooling the same equality as those from public schools. The governor changed all of that earlier this year.

http://homeschooling.about.com/b/2009/06/01/tennessee-homeschool-diploma-equality.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.