Tennessee Property Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nomad, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Any of you Tennessee folks familiar with the Maynardville area? I have a line on a piece of property, but would like to learn a bit about the area if possible from someone other than a realtor. Thanks much.

Nomad

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Nomad
    is it one of 4 possible acrages?

If so, I think Sancraft went up to look at them a Saturday or two ago. She should be able to tell you about the area, and if the realtor was any good.

If the same people, from what she's told me, she was less than impressed.

But get hold of her.

AngieM2

3. Nomad

Angie,

It is listed on the United Country web site. They have 8 lots from 6 to 18 acres I think. There wasn't a lot of information on the listing but I heard from the agent and sent a request for information on electric, phone, water sources, restrictions, etc. I also asked if I could get any pictures and a plat map. Guess I'll have to see what the guy says. I'm not looking for anything special. We are searching for a retirement property of at least 5 acres with some trees and a good spot for some type of dwelling and a garden. Thanks.

Nomad

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

That sounds like the property.

Sandra went up there, was handed a map and pointed in the right direction.
    No road signs and never found it.

I'll try to get in touch with her and have her post on this for you.

AngieM2

5. Nomad

Thanks. I'll be interested to hear if it's the same property. The lots front a black topped road, so I figured it would be easy access. Maybe not. Course it might be good if people can't find you...especially unwelcome relatives. Not that I have any of those. :D

Nomad

6. Maynardville is about 45 mins out of Knoxville up Broadway, (Hwy33 ?) We looked at property up there several yrs ago and the lady drove us batty calling constantly, we finally told her to keep it.

Its a pretty area, low income county, and very clanish. Locals have lived there all there lives and for several generations, which is the same in alot of areas of the country. The town itself is very small and not alot of development around. It would be a very nice place to retire, but some of the backroads even I wouldn't drive after dark.

We finally bought a place south of Knoxville, in Blount CO. but the property has trippled or more in prices around here and a person cannot afford to buy in this area anymore.

ET

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

If it's the owner financed property with $300. closing cost only, that's the place. I went up and the lady acted scared, the man and the children didn't speak. SHe gave us some directions and sent us on our way. The 1st property, if it was up the unmakred road that we think it was, was impassable without a 4 wheel drive, high clearance truck. The 2nd set she said was off 61. We followed it to the end and never found it. I don't know if the people don't like outsiders or if it was a racial thing, but I surely felt less than welcomed. I'm still considering buying the property and holding on to it for a while. The area may change and get a little more flavor in the upcoming years, thus making it a better place for me to settle then. If not, I can always sell later. Let me know how they treat you and if you actually get to see the properties. I'd be interested in some pictures if you take any. Keep in touch.

8. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

Maynardville is very close to Norris Lake, one of the most beautiful lakes in the Eastern US in my opinion. The Clinch River feeds it and the Clinch below Norris Dam is one of the finest trout streams in the East. US.
    \
    Tim
    Knoxville, TN

9. Nomad

Well, I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Not sure I'd be comfortable living around people who sound like they could have been extras in the movie Deliverance. Course if the land is anything decent at all, the price seems pretty good and if nothing else should appreciate in value. It seems that every time I think I've found something, I'm wrong. But I guess if the places I find were something wonderful, someone else would have beaten me to them. The only thing I know for sure is I'll blow my brains out before I'll stay where I am now. So that's sort of an incentive to keep looking. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your input.

Nomad

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

The countryside was beautiful up there. And the price is so low, I can afford to sit on it for a while and wait for the world to catch up to them a little bit. I wish I could have seen the tracts though. It was a pretty long drive from Atlanta for nothing.