Tendon injury-to boot or not to boot?

Discussion in 'Equine' started by Harmony_Meadows, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Harmony_Meadows

Harmony_Meadows Well-Known Member

Hey all,

We have a new horse coming very shortly. He is a retired standardbred, 5 year old gelding. Very calm, lovely temperament. The only drawback is he was retired due to a tendon injury (it has only been about a week or two, so very fresh). Now the injury does not really concern me in the long term. We don't do much here, so even if he can only do light work in the end, that is not a big deal for us. We have handled tendon injuries many times before, so I do know the ins and outs, but the one question I never really had answered is would having him in sports medicine boots, especialy at first, be benificial or more of a detriment? I have heard very opposing views on it and both seem to have good success healing them up. Would love to hear some more opinions on it.

Thank you!

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I have first hand experience with bowed tendons, but it wasn't my horse just one I cared for when I managed a boarding barn. This was about 15 years ago, the treatment was padding and bandages but if you are at all unsure about how to bandage don't use them as incorrectly done it can cause more damage. I would think the boots would be easier to use. The biggest thing was stall rest for, I believe, 3 months and light hand walking but it depends on the severity and where the tendon was damaged. The current treatment could be different.

You may want to try Calm and Cool pellets for a horse that needs to be stalled for that long. It works on some horses but than others, but you'll need something to take the edge off.

3. Harmony_Meadows

I do know how to bandage, but we are gone from here for 12 hours or more a day during the week. I would not feel comfortable leaving wraps on that long. He will have an outdoor stall for the first few weeks then we will probably put him on turn out with our big guys....one is arthritic and one is blind, not much action happens there! One way or another we will play it by ear, and work with the vet, but I think boots are a good idea. Just would like to hear any other ideas...it is always good to get other ideas!

4. dkrabec

dkrabec Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I know two people who I spoke with recently about bowed tendons and really the first 24 hours are the important hours to head off further damage, after that what's done is done. One of the people was my farrier, his son's roping horse had a bowed tendon and they hosed the injury to reduce the heat and swelling and gave bute for the first 24 hours, then turned him out for three months no care just grass. Brought him up after three months he was sound and they went back to roping off him. My other friend called the vet got a bunch of meds, rotated with hosing and sweating for a few weeks, kept the horse quiet for a month in a stall with hand walking, then kept splint boots on her for another two months and the horse ended up being sound as well. So two scenarios, same result you did not say if it is a high or low bow, or full or partial, not that it matters at this point. But turning him out and letting him move around at his own pace will promote circulation which aids in healing. If it were me I would probably turn him out and let it heal on its own. A splint boot will add extra support and will probably not hurt, but defiantly would not do the leg wraps. Good luck

Irish Pixie likes this.
  5. malinda

malinda Well-Known Member Supporter

What type of injury is it specifically and how severe?

6. Harmony_Meadows

Don't have specifics at the moment, they had a couple horses they needed to tend to today at the track. But I think iti s a simple bow or at least a very minor tear. They said usually an injury like this and they will have them back sound in a couple months and back racing, but usually not very long as they are prone to bow again, so they want to retire them at this point and find good homes for them. Should have news tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a picture of him:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. Harmony_Meadows

Sadly the vet exam this week has show the tendon is damaged much worse than originally thought and it looks like he will never come sound again. Unfortunately he wont be coming home with me. :( Thank you everyone for the opinons. We are hoping to foster or adopt a Standardbred in the future, but looks like he wasn't the one for us.

We are down a few as well. The little stallion has gone back with the friend I got him from. We wanted to geld him but she wanted him back intact so there you go. We also sent her riding mare back to her. Doesn't make much sense to keep a riding horse when you can't ride! ;) So we have my big Belgian X mare, the old blind Appy gelding as a companion, the two donkeys, the auction twin minis and the little pony mare we got at auction. Everyone seems settled and happy and with luck I will have time to take some pics...and a camera that cooperates...and I will post some this weekend. Can't wait to see what the second half of the year brings! Take care all!