Temporary power poles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by South of Forty, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. South of Forty

    South of Forty Active Member

    Feb 25, 2004
    What does it take to put one up? I need to install one to get power out to my place to start my barn. Does it take any electrical skill?
  2. fordy

    fordy Well-Known Member

    Sep 13, 2003
    Whiskey Flats(Ft. Worth) , Tx
    ....................When I moved to the country , my utility provided up to a 100 foot power drop coming from the main transformer. Mine was 85 feet. At that point they set a smaller pole which was about 15 feet high. I had to provide a weathewrhead , conduit that ran down to the main double 50 amp breaker . From there I was responsible for running the power into my building , etc. If , you set your own pole , go buy yourself a roll of #6, solid copper wire and drive a ground rod immediately beside your pole . Also , I would install another ground rod immediately below your breaker panel in your barn. If, you're going to pour a slab , take a piece of 1 inch pvc and duct tape both ends and insert into the fresh concrete so that after it cures you can drive a ground rod THRU the pvc without having to knock a hole in your slab............fordy..... :eek: :) :eek: :)

  3. desdawg

    desdawg Well-Known Member

    Jul 18, 2004
    I install lots of poles with 200 amp panels and meter housings here in AZ. The local power company provides a drawing of how they want it built. So I would start there and check with the utility company for their specs. I have a backhoe so I attach all of the hardware to the pole while it is in the horizontal position on some saw horses, dig a hole to the specified depth and stand the completed service pole up with a chain attached to my backhoe boom. (We have stood 18' poles with all of the hardware with two men by hand.) I have built them in the upright position but it is much simpler if you can do it on the ground. As Fordy said you will need a ground rod. The size of the ground wire will vary with the amperage of your service. Here I typically do 100 amp but mostly 200 amp services and they require #4 bare copper ground wire. Once again get the specs from your electric utility company. Personally I would go with the 200 amp service from the start. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My welder takes 50 amps by itself for example. I can scan the specs I have and e-mail them to you if you want but they may vary somewhat with your local provider.
  4. YuccaFlatsRanch

    YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

    May 3, 2004
    Hill Country, Texas
    I had the power cmpany put in enough power for three 200 amp services. One for my garage/shop, one for the house and one for my wifes quilting studio. Cost was the same - FREE and they provided the poles, and set them in place. I provide the connections to the buildings which were all done underground in conduit.
  5. Stush

    Stush Well-Known Member

    Aug 27, 2002
    The best advice that you have received is to contact your utility company. I work for a power company that operates in several differnent states. The rules for constructing a service, temporary or otherwise, vary from state to state due to differences in the regulatory agencies. Most will provide you with a detailed drawing showing you what they require from you. It will vary depending upon whether you want overhead or underground service, the size, distance from their existing lines, etc. Give them a call.
  6. mary,tx

    mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

    Dec 4, 2002
    I noticed at the McCoy's Building Materials Center that they have pre-built power poles for sale. They have everything already assembled on the pole--entrance head, conduit, meter base, breaker box--the works. All you have to do is dig a hole and plant the pole than call the power company. I have not checked other building supply centers. Perhaps a prebuilt power pole from the local building materials center will meet your local requirements. I think these are used here for mobile homes, but I presume they will work for temporary power as well. You may wish to check with some mobile home dealers on where they get their power poles.
    Dale (DH of Mary Tx)