the ones I will be shipping from their lighter weight
littermates. I have used super heavy duty permanent
markers to indicate the ones that I will ship. But the
mark won't last but a couple of days when placed
ANY WHERE on the rabbit.

If I could readily tell which ones are ready, it would make
the loading a lot easier on Saturday evening. I would not
have to take time to reweigh. We could get the rabbits
loaded and begin moving with them quicker.

It must be quick, easy, and non-toxic as I will handle
from 100 to 200 fryers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Linda
(it's been hot today in Texas!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think it is Jeffers that have a velcro leg bracelet I don't know if it would work or not on a rabbit. Could you maybe paint an ear? LOL

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know you said you tried the perm maker everywhere. I don't have any problem at all marking them on the inside of the ear with a perm. marker. I do it all the time with no problem. Other than that, I don't have any ideas for you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I'm in agreement with Jay. I have used the permanent marker inside the ear, and also a very heavy mark on the forehead with no problems. Rabbits have a tough time trying to remove marks inside the ears and on the forehead. A bright nail polish can also be used inside the ear, but that seems to be more trouble than it is worth (and smelly, too).

Perhaps what you need to do is to simply make a point of refreshing the marked ones every couple of days? More work, yes, but only if it *must* last for five days.

Pat Lamar

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the "disappearing" mark may be related to the
heat and humidity. The marks will last during the winter
but not during the summer. I use red for the ones
staying and black for the ones who are ready. I have
placed the marks in the ear, on the back of the ear,
the top of the head, the feet, the shoulders, the back,
the rump and all combinations thereof. I've used three
different brands of markers and started with fresh ones.

And, yes, remarking a large number of fryers is very
time consuming. I did that this week.....until
yesterday.....when I simply did not have the time to do so.
Here's hoping that I will be lucky enough to have a
semblance of a mark left by 6 PM to make loading easier.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Linda

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could you maybe place one number in your tattoo and use it in one ear? Even without ink should have a bit of a scab or mark for awhile. Or would the processor think that all your rabbits were infested with ear mites?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Along that same line, could you make a few small cuts with an exacto knife (box cutter) in the ear? Not enough to do damage, just enough to scab that would last 5 days. It might take about the same amount of time as marking with an ink marker.
Robin

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Maybe try and make a very large mark in the ear, wouldn't most stay? I would not do the exacto knife thing, I just think it is just giving the rabbit un needed pain(I realize this is a meat rabbit forum, and altho I don't raise meat rabbits, I do cull whenever needed. I just hope you don't take my statement as the wrong way)
Roo

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Try using the roll-on green ink sold for tattooing black cattle. The ink I bought from Jeffers stays on the rabbit for about two weeks before they are clean again. You could either just dab an ear with the roll on or dip a brush and stripe the forehead. The brush will use less ink.
Ox

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used Sanford Permanent Markers which come in several different colors. They usually last about 2 weeks but they do wear off. This can be a problem when I group several does from different litters together for possible future stock and intend for them to stay together for a couple of months.

Recently I switched to a more permanent solution which appears to be better. The Testors paint like you used to use on models now comes in pens. I think I paid about 5 dollars for three different colored pens. I used them about 10 days ago on the exterior of the ears and it still looks great.

Last week I picked up some cattle markers at Tractor Supply in bright colors. They appear to be fat grease pens. I have not used them yet so I can't speak to their effectiveness but they were reasonably priced.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If I had problems with the ink staying on, before I went crazy and bought all kinds of stuff, or used something that was a real pain to clean off of me after doing it, I would put a small bowl of rubbing alcohol on the weighing bench, with a cotton ball in it. I would just wipe out the inside tip of the ear to remove any type of greasy film, then use the marker. But like I said, my little "Sharpie" does just fine without fussing with anything. Black works best. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

Jay

·
Registered
960 Posts
What about getting stickers (the kind they put on cattle for auction) You coudl cut them up in little bits and use orange for staying and yellow for going. Or something?

Cait

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone! You've given me several good tips.

I hope to experiment this week in preparation for the
weighing next week. I'll let you know what works!

Linda

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE!

While at the local Dollar Store after my post, I found
a cheap package of markers -----3 for a dollar----
which worked great. They are a permanent marker
called Liqui-Mark. The ink is "wetter" than all
the markers I have been using but not nearly as wet
as the Liquid Markers I use for marking cattle ear tags.

I bet this marker is every mother's nightmare!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Linda

·
Registered
44 Posts
Larry,
I tried the Testors paint pens, and they are fantastic. The angled tip gives you the option of a thin or broad line, too. The red shows up great on the Californians' black ears. It's been almost 2 weeks and they look like they've just been done. Thanks for the idea.
Robin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts