Temporary Greenhouse - what to put on the ground?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Suburbanhmstedr, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I'm a homesteader at heart, but currently in suburban Chicago, so I have to make do....

I have an 8' x 8' plastic sheeting & alumnium greenhouse. Last year I just set it up on a patch of lawn, but the grass is now all dead and there's nothing but mud and weeds left. Before I set up the greenhouse again this year, I'd love some advice as to what to put on the ground. I've thought of wood chip mulch, or straw, but would certainly appreciate hearing from others more experienced!

Kristi

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Anything to cover the soil that will drain well and not be soggy, and last underfoot and not break down too quickly should work. Small wood chips are great, as it gravel if you don't need plants there (grass?) after you're done with the season. Straw will hve to be thick enough so that when you've walked on it a lot, it will still be there and not all broken down. Woven or spunbonded geotextile (ground cover cloth) is great except on really heavy clay soil, as the fines will come up through and make it slippery when wet -- and can grow weeds!

3. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

Most the people I know have pea gravel in theirs. I like the idea of bark chips though(or wood chips).

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Gravel is really nice-- until you want to remove it. Anything that will be above the ground will work. You can also use wood pallets if you only need a path to walk on.

5. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

Or, do what I did with a portable one. Make a plank walkway and then dig up the dead grass on either side. Keep it as weed free as possible. Then in late summer, plant cold resistant crops such as beet greens, lettuce and oriental cabbages like nappa or pak choy. By doing so, I've often enjoyed fresh veggies until the frost sets into the ground around Christmas time.