Temporary fencing

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by sunflower-n-ks, Oct 8, 2006.

1. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard different people mention using temp fencing. I am working to fence in my property and find I am starting to "juggle" the ram/ewe situation also. My main pasture is cross fenced, but I realize that at times another cross fence would be great and also have about 1/2 acre I would like to use part time also.

So, my questions: When you use Cattle panels are they the kind that are sections of heavy fencing or the ones that are made of tubular material that somewhat free standing?

If using the fencing type, and fasten them to fence posts, how do you move the fence posts easily, or do you? I know putting the T posts in is not too hard, but how do you move them? Or is there a method of keeping the panels standing that I am missing?

I am trying to get the safest, best use out of the little land I have with my limited resources. As I figure out what works best, I can keep adding more permanent fencing in the right places.

2. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

Cattle panels that I use would be the heavy fencing kind. I use t posts to hold them up,and though it is a little work to put up and tear down, it isn't as much work as stretching and stapling a woven wire fence. I use woven wire for the perimeter fencing, electronet for rotational grazing, and cattle panels for any smaller lots, pens or temporary gates/pens.

3. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Right now I have two little guys in a small temporary enclosure that is just four cattle panels joined at the corners with no posts. They've been in there about a month and we drag it every couple days to a new patch of grass. No escapes or attempts yet but I know that won't last forever (or very much longer really). It's working well for now and makes it easy to move them frequently. We've moved T-posts a few times too. A rope and lever pulls them out pretty easy, even easier if the ground around the post is wet. We do tend to not pound them in quite as far when we know we'll be moving them soon.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I use electric "polywire". Its nylon rope with braided stainless steel wires woven in. Its very easy to work with and can be wound up on a reel and reused. I use plastic temporary fence posts so theres no need for extra insulators. If they are trained to electric fences they can even be contained with plain rope or twine as long as they dont get too hungry

5. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks to all for the ideas. There are fence posts that were here when I got the place that make a "alley" about 15' X 100+' along one edge of the pasture. I am putting new fencing on the inside row of posts and will replace the outside fencing when I can. That will make a permanent/temporary pen without dealing with posts and I will try the 4 cattle panels without posts to make use of the 1/2 acre untill it can be properly fenced.

I need to learn more about any kind of electric fencing to help divide up the pasture as needed. I can already see that rotational pastures will be the only way to make the best use of the pasture. I also have 2 pyr pups because of the number of coyotes around here, so need to keep them in mind with fencing also. One part of the pasture will contain them, but the other part is no contest. They are out of it in about a second flat. Yep, new perimeter fence needed there. Again, posts are there, just need to replace the wire (field fencing).

I am beginning to see where I need to go with all of this, Thanks

6. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

When I needed a temporary pen quickly, I picked up some free pallets and tied them together. I used them to raise 2 lambs for a 4H project for my son. We made it big enough (about 16 pallets) and they were fine there. Never got loose. We even made a gate. It lasted well enough, I use it now for isolation, weaning etc...

Just a thought for a cheap temporary pen for you.

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I know a couple of folks who've begun using the electric poly fencing and it's been working great. Super easy to pick up and move for rotational grazing. There's someone in Eastern WA who's actually making money taking her small flock from home to home to 'mow' the oversized lawns of some of the more wealthy summer residents in the area.

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

When I look at electric poly fencing, I have to admit there are so many things available that I get confused as to what might be the best to keep a few sheep in for temporary grazing. Can you all clarify what works best?

~ Carol

9. jlo

jlo Active Member

I found that the Priemiere (sp?) Sheep fencing catalogue has TONS of information in it about all the different types of fencing and pros and cons. And you can call them with any questions even if you don't buy from them. They were a big help to us as we sorted through all the options.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

11. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

300ft of field fence is about $120 at home depot. The posts are about $4 each.