Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
loving life on the farm
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever read this book? I'm re-reading it and learning some new things since I have cows now. Just curious if any seasoned cow people have any comments? It's a fascinating book-she is an autistic PhD who designs humane slaughtering facilities for most of the big names in the industry-McDonalds, Burger King, etc. She says that autistic people think like animals so she knows what frightens them,etc.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I am very familiar with Grandin's animal handling designs and have studied her work over the years. her ideas and designs have been "borrowed" as I have made handling equipment for use on my farm. I have never had one of her ideas that did not work. Her designs make for easy work on the handler and safe easy movement of the animals. Anyone handling animals can learn something from her.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I also have learned a few things from her.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have read her book, after hearing her interviewed on the radio. She is a fascinating woman. I think she has very interesting insight on many types of animals, humans included. Most of her ideas seem to make lots of sense, and I too designed my handling and loading chutes after her reccomendations.

I liked her insights about how we choose animals for breeding, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts