Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have over a quart of a maple nueget that i thought of turning into candies. i thought of using little paper cups and surrounding chunks with chocolate. i have seen chocolate tempered before on cooking shows, but i have never tried it. does anyone have experience to share? are there any easy recipes or types of chocolate that require no tempering to make candy with?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
If you want the best possible product, then look for couverture chocolate, which has more cocoa butter in it for a shinier product. Any good quality bar (pretempered, meaning it's shiny and makes a cracking noise when you break it apart; ie, NOT chocolate chips) chocolate can be easily tempered by melting 2/3 of the amount you're going to use at 50% power in the microwave (or over barely simmering water on the stove), then removing it from the heat and stirring the rest of the unmelted quantity into the chocolate until everything is melted together. You can briefly apply more heat if it won't melt together. The finer you chop your chocolate, the better this will work. As long as your mix never goes above 90 degrees, your chocolate will stay tempered. I wouldn't do this techcnique without at least a pound of chocolate either, because it'll probably get too hot and go out of temper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts