temperature question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by luv2farm, Nov 11, 2017.

1. luv2farm

luv2farm Well-Known Member Supporter

How cold can 1 week old kits take before we need a heat light?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I have raised them---5 litters born on one of our coldest nights----in the teens---they were fine. As long as they stay together--under fur---they usually do good. I have never used a heat light here(East Coast SC) and have been messing with rabbits since 1977---took a break a couple times---but steady since 1995

3. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't want or need a heat lamp or a heat pad.
    The babies can't get away from it if they get too warm.

Better to just keep them in a sheltered area and make
    sure the box has plenty of hay and the fur is heaped on top of them.

4. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

if you have a wooden nest box( Metal or plastic cause mosture condensation and draw heat away ) with hay, and fur in the nest they will do fine ; improperly constructed nest boxes with entrances to low that allow the kits to crawl out ,and not back in ,lead to kit chilling and loss . a 5-6 inch high entrance height is usally enough . the kits trouble window seems to be from 10 -15 days of age when they hop out and can't get back in the nest box. adding an extra lip at the lowend to keep em in the box, and a ramp to get back in helps . the best nest for winter ( or any time ) is a drop down or sub floor (check a couple out on youtube) ; where the entrance to the nest is level with the floor . most i'v seen are wire box added to the floor of the cage where you drop your nest box in in winter . and the entrance being level with the hutch floor if the kits get out they can crawl back and fall in after the kits are old enough (about 4/5 weeks ) simply remove the box leaveing some hay for clean bedding if cold . I just built a old time wood n wire hutch with a subfloor wire nest and a wooden 6 inch drawer nest box that slides in from the front the wooden top half is permanent to be used as a 5 inch elevated excape/resting board for the doe .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 12:19 AM