Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temperature do you keep your house at? Right now I have mine set at 61 seems chilly but I have a big warm sweater on. It is actually 63 right now so heat hasn't kicked on. I ran the propane wall heater this morning to just get the chill off. I was just curious as to what everyone else considers comfortable.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
70ish. It differs in type of heat. Electric I think I would be cold at 80°. I run my gas furnance warmer, it's not as warm as Wood heat either. I like to sleep between 65-68°.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
72 or higher; although if it gets above 78 it's uncomfortable.

Conversely, it's tolerable down to 68; much below and I'm getting cold feet.

If it drops to 63, (or lower) I'm heading outside to the wood boiler (which heats
water via radiant floor pex tubing) to either fill it back up or get the fire restarted!!!

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
The thermometer sitting here on the kitchen table says 74 at the moment... It's also the cooler room of the house. I'd bet upstairs it's close to 80.

It's 47 outside right now.. .

During the dead of winter I've pushed the kitchen up to 80... I'm pretty thin and I cant stand the cold!

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
50 this morn. If the inside temp gets up to 60 in the winter I'm too hot. I work outside all year and get acclimated to the weather. I don't need the house to be 70-90 degrees warmer than the outside temps.

T

·
0 Posts
The thermometer sitting here on the kitchen table says 74 at the moment... It's also the cooler room of the house. I'd bet upstairs it's close to 80.

It's 47 outside right now.. .

During the dead of winter I've pushed the kitchen up to 80... I'm pretty thin and I cant stand the cold!

I feel ya there!

Durning the Summer, we run 82 daytime and 76 night.
During the Winter, I keep the house 70-72 daytime and 63 night. It takes a while to work the temp for Daytime down that low...
We have Gas heat, so it's actually very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm much warmer temps then I thought I would see in the replies. I was just outside pulling burrs out of my mini's mane. A thankless job since she will manage to get in the same burrs tomorrow. Must be the sweetest part of the pasture. I can't stand to see those burrs in her forelock

Anyway I have a long sleeve top on a heavy sweater AND a fleece vest and I got chilled. My hands were the coldest.

B

·
0 Posts
68 during the day and 66 at night...This home has all brand new windows...in the townhouse, if you wanted to judge how windy it was outside, you just sat on the couch...LOL..we had to cover the windows with heavy plastic..so nice to sit here and watch the leaves blow and not feel a breeze in the house :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I understand what you're saying starjj. I turn off the propane heat as soon as I can in the spring and keep it off as long as I can into the fall. I mark on the calendar when I turn it on for the first time. This year it was 10/23. We have a timer set on ours in 4 intervals. Comes on at 6am - 68 degrees. At 8am it goes back to 65. At 4pm it goes back to 68 degrees. Then at 7pm it goes down to 62 degrees.
I would love to keep it at 64 all day and 58 at night. The family will not stand for it. Oh, well.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I heat house to 65 deg; before I go to bed. Turn heat off; turn back on right before I get up; so I can take a shower. Then turn off rest of day.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
When I checked the temp a couple of hours ago it was 53. I'm surprised the kids weren't pitching a fit. I figured it was about time to turn off the fan and close the window. :D

If it weren't for the kids, I'd keep it somewhere around 55. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for heat.

With the new house, I decided to turn the enclosed porch into my bedroom. It has its own window air and gas heater. That way I won't freeze the kids out, yet I'll be comfortable. My mom thinks I'm nuts...

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
No heat here yet. 68 for a high. Will start a fire when it gets below 60. It is 71 in here now, we open the door a little if warmer than that during the day. I am still drying mushrooms so the heat of the solar dehydrator is not being used as cabin heat yet, either....James

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
72 ....now that I have the luxury of forced air central a/c & heat

T

·
0 Posts
No heat here yet. 68 for a high. Will start a fire when it gets below 60. It is 71 in here now, we open the door a little if warmer than that during the day. I am still drying mushrooms so the heat of the solar dehydrator is not being used as cabin heat yet, either....James

Ha! We had a cold front push through so I chose today to dry some potatoes, to warm up the house a bit. Ended up opening a couple windows because it warmed up pretty well!

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
75 and comfy in the living room*, upper 30's outside,since I began taking blood thinners, I am the freeze baby!

Had such a cool summer, did not feel the need to use the central air this Year*

1 - 20 of 49 Posts