Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love being in the kitchen. In (almost) every home, I have every been in..it makes me feel good and welcome. I love kitchen gadgets, appliances, dishes, glasses, pots, pans and utensils. Cooking makes me feel good and like I am sharing part of myself with those that are sharing the meal with me.. I love to hear/see others ideas and likes and dislikes about their kitchens..What colors they use and how they use their storage, intrigue me! Does the sunshine brightly in the am or pm?? Do you have a wood cookstove, electric or gas? In other words==Tell us all about your kitchens!
Thank you sharing with us...Queen Bee

·
Registered
713 Posts
It isn't big enough....I should have made it half the house!!!

Anyways, we are total electric, which I do and don't like. The house is new and kinda country cottage-ish, not real rustic. I think I will want my next and last house to be more rustic w/ a HUGE open kitchen with an electric stove as well as woodstove. Now, my kitchen is bright yellow and blue w/ some green. I picked the colors b/c I have a huge bay window (floor to ceiling) that is a sitting area in my kitchen and the colors mock the outdoor sunshine, leaves, and sky. The sun rises on that side, so it's my morning spot! I love the view...it is of my backyard and you can see the goats and chickens running around! I have lots of cabinets (one corner one that has 2 lazy susan shelves for all my pots and pans, which I love) and a bar that overlooks the sitting area on one side and the living room on the other. So it does feel nice and open. Like I said, I just wish it was bigger. Oh, and I do have an a nice size pantry, which I LOVE!

OK, you tell about yours!

Rachael

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Well, mine isn't anything special. I can't figure out what to do with it. It is sort of an efficiency kitchen, there is a wall oven and an electric rangetop, a span of laminate countertop and the sink, and then another short span of countertop. Window over the kitchen sink. Cabinets underneath all, and a cabinet on either side of the kitchen window. Very plain.

I refinished the cabinets, down to bare wood and then stained with a color called 'golden pecan'. Plain wood knobs, a very small bit of decorative rope trim. Kitchen island, very plain, beige laminate top, body of the island painted white. Very plain.

I just don't know what to do with it. Whatever I would do would have to be on an extreme budget.

Also, while I like the country farm house look, all the clutter is just too much for me to deal with anymore, too much greasy dust.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,817 Posts
I am SO glad you asked this. I am thinking about designing and building a canning/milk processing/cheese making kitchen. For those of you describing your kitchens, please include what works especially well for those homestead style projects!

My kitchen at home is long. Counters down each side of the length. Kitchen window and sink in the middle of the north wall, with the fridge at the east end of that counter.

The south wall has the range, roughly opposite the sink.

Things I especially like:
1. Pot drawers instead of cabinets.
2. A place to hang my big stainless steel colander above the sink.
3. Wide space between the two counters.
4. Under cabinet lights.
5. Under cabinet radio/tape player.
6. Toaster oven mounted under cabinet instead of taking up counter space.
7. Huge walk in pantry with shelves, floor to almost ceiling on three sides.
8. 36" Stainless Steel natural range, with a convection oven. Cost an arm and a leg and worth every cent.

Things I don't like:
1. Microwave taking up counter space to the left of the kitchen sink. Its location means that there is no usable counter on that side at all. I am thinking of giving it away and replacing it with one that mounts under the cabinet.
2. I have too much stuff. I need to sort my pots, pans, cookie sheets, muffin pans, cake pans, pie plates, casserole dishes, coffee cups, mugs, glassware, and kitchen utensils, then get rid of the ones that aren't used regularly.
3. The dishwasher is rarely used now that the boys are grown and gone. It's really wasted space except on a holiday or when they come home to visit.
4. When I got the most recent refrigerator, I downsized. BIG mistake.
5. We use the area to the right of the range for our vacuum sealer. It actually lives in a former bread box that is located there. LOL I think I'd rather have that space back for more daily use.

What I'd do differently (if I had unlimited funds):
1. bigger fridge
2. stainless steel counter tops
3. Drain in middle of the floor! (I think I stole this idea from Erma Bombeck.)
4. Convert all the lower cabinets to big, deep drawers.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i have a small kitchen in my mobilehome.heres a picture for you.i like it real well...wished it had a widow looking out.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Nothing special. I like the countertops, they look like brown autumn leaves all squished together. And there's lots of counter space, which is a blessing.

What I don't like is that there aren't any windows that open, so it gets pretty hot sometimes. The window over the sink is blocked by the solarium and is just a solid pane of glass.

It has great new cabinets, hickory ones. The vinyl floor needs replacing. It gets compliments because it's unusual, sort of like rocks, but it's really worn out. The fridge is old and will need replacing soon. And I want a dishwasher!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
My kitchen isn't big enough either. There's always a dog or two lying in the floor right in front of the sink, fridge or stove.

I hate my stove too...hubby insisted on an electric flat top and I wanted gas. However, I love my solid surface countertops, especially the dish drain I had carved in to one side of the double sink. And I love the built-in microwave over the stove.

I don't have enough cabinet space, but I do love the lazy susan in the corner cabinets...above and below the counter. And I love the cabinet with dividers for cookie sheets, etc.

The window at the sink faces West so I had to put up a blind. We also took down the original light fixture I'd chosen and put in a ceiling fan...a big improvement!

A bar separates the kitchen from the den and the is an open doorway into the kitchen so you are definitely not cut off from the rest of the house when you are in the kitchen.

I am currently in the process of changing my kitchen to a rooster theme. Here's a few photos of my kitchen:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I dislike my kitchen. The only thing I do like about it is that it's a big old country kitchen with lots of space, but they really skimped on the counter top and cabinets.

Every pan with a hole in the handle hangs on the wall to conserve cupboard space. I keep all my baking pans on a wine rack, again to conserve cupboard space. Most of my canned goods are on a shelf in another room.

The kitchen looks ok, but it's a bear to work in there. The stove and frig are in opposite corners so it's a long walk from one to the other. The old countertop is high in front, low in back so eggs roll across it. The 100 year old floors are not level and I still haven't leveled the stove so cakes bake high on one end when I forget to turn them part way thru cooking.

In an effort to like my kitchen a bit more I have done a lot of remodeling in there. I cut a hole in one wall to make a broom closet. I sanded and refinished the fronts of the cupboards. About 3 years ago I bought a new countertop but haven't found anyone with the proper tools to install it yet. I've considered using the new top to make a outside kitchen. I've been dreaming of having one for many years and I WILL have one someday :)

The ceiling has had that yukky popcorn finish put on it. It gathers dust and cobwebs real bad. When I dust it those little balls fall down and make a mess. You'd think after all these years they'd all have fallen, but I swear they reproduce when I'm not looking! LOL

When I bought this place they had carpet on the kitchen floor. I ripped it up and put down a new floor. I found out why they had carpet down. The nails in the floor work their way up and put little holes in the tile. Now I'll have to take up the tile and put down new sub-flooring before I can re-tile.

I have 1 tiny window above the sink. I need more light, I have to use a light in the kitchen even in the daytime. The kitchen lights are on pull chains, not switches so if I'm going to raid the frig at midnight I have to turn on another light so I can find my way to the middle of the room to pull the chain.

I really don't like my kitchen at all.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Elkie, can't you just saw a hole in the wall, frame it up and put in a window somewhere? I like your cabinets, they're pretty.

Raven, who's the little helper in the photo? The assistant chef? :angel:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I designed the space for the kitchen with the help of the builder and wanted an island as shown with the range built in there. It works out good with that.
There is lots of windows and the garden door for light in the daytime, and above the range area is a large fluorescent that makes it good to use nighttime. The small dining area to the left of the counter where the sink is looks out a view that's the sun/moon room with windows along that whole side. The counter at the sink juts out enough to use as a bar eating area with stools.
The picture doesn't show the current mess. lol. But, there is a small microwave and toaster oven on the counter at the window, coffee maker. The fridge is to the right of the window there now. It's functional and big enough. I keep just what I need to use. Plenty of cupboard space and some on the island also.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
RoseGarden said:
Elkie, can't you just saw a hole in the wall, frame it up and put in a window somewhere? I like your cabinets, they're pretty.

Raven, who's the little helper in the photo? The assistant chef? :angel:
LOL...that would be Kyla, hubby's little princess!

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Queen Bee said:
I love being in the kitchen. In (almost) every home, I have every been in..it makes me feel good and welcome. I love kitchen gadgets, appliances, dishes, glasses, pots, pans and utensils. Cooking makes me feel good and like I am sharing part of myself with those that are sharing the meal with me.. I love to hear/see others ideas and likes and dislikes about their kitchens..What colors they use and how they use their storage, intrigue me! Does the sunshine brightly in the am or pm?? Do you have a wood cookstove, electric or gas? In other words==Tell us all about your kitchens!
Thank you sharing with us...Queen Bee
Our kitchen at the new homestead is very large (in proportion to the house), and it has lots of cabinets. We cook with gas (I would like wood, but unfortunately cannot do at this time). Since we have not yet moved in there, it doesn't have that "homey" feel just yet, but hopefully soon it will.

I am not big on sunshine, especially in the morning. I expect I will be keeping the curtains shut, just like i do now. LOL

donsgal

·
newfieannie
9,186 Posts
I do like looking at pictures of kitchens! Elkhound: your kitchen looks a lot like mine out in the country. I took out the stove and put a countertop in and a wall oven and island and pushed a hole through the wall over the sink. I can now look out over my field at the wildlife.
the kitchen in the condo i can't stand.cupboards are particle board and falling apart. bar like top with stools looking out over the ocean but I seldom look. oh ,who cares! it's sold anyway and someone else can have the problems . I do hate to leave the new fridge I bought with the ice maker and filter. and the microwave. other than that I can walk away. easy.
kitchen in the new house is quite spacious. 2 windows. 1 overlooking a lake. cupboards are maple. dishwasher .which i dont use anyway but it looks good. french doors leading into dining room and the other into the living room( which is what mother had in our house and I have always wanted for myself) door leading out on the deck which I will have open when I'm working in my kitchen but there is no screen. which will be first thing on my list. oh yes. I think I will be very happy there once I put my touches on it!
Wildwoodflower: is that an antique cabinet.? also love those pretty dishes. everybodys kitchen looks good! ....Georgia.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My kitchen is way too small for me. Actually, it is a decent size about 12x13, but I have three doors! One outside, one to the hall and one to the dining room, and doors waste a lot of space :rolleyes: The kitchen gets afternoon sun, which means this time of year it is HOT when I'm cooking. Half of the cabinets are old (50's or 60's) and my things don't fit in them, did they use to make smaller dishes? lol, the other cabinets are new, we rearranged the stove to add counter space. In the spot were the stove was we put up open shelves, and keep the toaster, crockpot, etc. there. That is my favorite thing about the kitchen.

I really wish my counters didn't have so much on them. I have tried to pare down to the essentials that are used daily, but it's still a lot. The top of the fridge has bags of cereal, pretzels and my oversized bowls on top. To me it all looks cluttered.

One day.... I am going to open the dining room up to the kitchen and make it one room. I already know where I will put the wood cookstove, and I will put the leaf in the table and hive it right in the middle of the room. Of course by the time I get around to that, the kids will move out and I won't need the space.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not the cleanest - but here it is

Southern exposure which is nice in the winter, not enough counter space and the dreaded popcorn textured ceiling. To the left of the fridge are sliding doors to the deck. If I stay here eventually the deck will be a sunroom and there will be an island for more work surface.

·
newfieannie
9,186 Posts
Nice! and you've given me some more ideas for my new kitchen. I will hang my pots on the side of the long cupboard and instead of putting a screen on over the steel door to the deck I'd much prefer to take it out and install a sliding door. thanks! ...Georgia.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My kitchen is very old and needs to be updated badly!

I have old, handmade cabinets made out of plywood, and the doors are all warped because of the humidity. Most days there's at least one that won't close.

The windows are old and won't open and close hardly. We open 2 of them when the weather gets warm and they stay open no matter what until cold sets in.

My refrigerator is on it's last legs and freezes stuff in the bottom most of the time. My wall oven is way off temperature-wise and it cooks way too fast, burning things before they are even close to done in the middle. My countertop slants toward the back wall, and all the oil and water I cook in on my cooktop are higher in the back than in the middle where they are supposed to be.

Hopefully, one day we will be able to start re-doing the kitchen, but for now, I just put up with it. :rolleyes:

At least I have a home with a kitchen! :angel:

1 - 20 of 188 Posts