Tell us about your homemade household items.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fairywings, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Fairywings

Fairywings Member

Do you have a coffee table made from a tree-trunk slab?
    (I do)

Do you hang your bath towels from a recycled bunk bed ladder?
    (I am)

I'm looking for more homemade ideas and curious about yours.

Please post, ok?

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

thin trees for curtain rods
    A long skinny tree for a banister
    Hollow tree trunks for flower pots
    I have a clock and a crucifix made from twigs-----Adirondek style

And then, all our loft and deck railings are made with pine logs.

The mantle on the fireplace (if the stone mason ever gets here!) will be a flattened pine log from our woods----just as the staircase is......
    and we have one queen sized bed frame made of pine logs.

3. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We took an old twin bed and made it in to a bench for our hall. The headboard is the back, the footboard was cut in half to make the arms, and we upholstered a peice of foam for the seat. I have also seen these made from baby beds, using the crib matress as the seat.

4. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

That sounds kinda neat. I've got an old oak twin bed in the shed that I've been think about selling. I may just take a crack at trying that instead.

Jim in MO

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:)Well, my gun rack over the door is an old canoe paddle..does that count? LOL

I do use old chairs for planters and old ladders for trellises. That's about it.

LQ

6. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

How do you change the old chairs into plantters?
    Thank you,
    Debbie

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My youngest daughter refused to part with her crib. I put a twin bed mattress on the floor in one corner of her room & surrounded it on 3 sides with the crib walls (piecing together the front and back sections to form a longer back crib wall ) and put a lace tablecloth over the top as a canopy. She calls it her "fainting couch" and has stuffed animals on the mattress along 2 sides and a big "reading" pillow on the other side. Her friends fight to sleep there when we have sleep-overs. Whoever sleeps there calls herself "The Princess".

8. Lavenderlady

Lavenderlady In full bloom

Good thread. Great replies.

I have my road lined with tires for flower pots and they are full of what else? LAVENDER!

9. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

If it is like what I do, you just cut a hole in the seat large enough to hold a potted plant. You set the pot into the hole and it is supported by the rim on the pot. Looks nice with things such as geraniums, etc.

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have two garden gates made out of those old metal springs that used to go under beds. Tires for planting bed tier bases, soda bottles for chicken feeders, old ladder for a plant hanger, those are outside, though, does that count? I'm not in the house very much, lol.

hollym

11. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

My husband also made a bench,which is in my kitchen, out of a maple twin bedthe headboard is the back and he cut the foot board in half for the sides, he added a false bottom and thats where we keep hats and mittens...and I have an old ladder in my bathroom holding towel..that is soo comical..I made wind chimes out of a branch and seashells!!! It sounds soo nice. This thread gave me a few more ideas ..I like it!!!!

12. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Lots of big wood ammo boxes for coffee tables, side tables, etc. You can fill them with stuff. Does that count? Lots of stacked tires for garden, 2 big tractor tires in yard for flowers, small tires in back patio area for flowers. All the old rusty metal stuff goes into the garden to use somehow. Lots of neat wood pallet fencing. We built 3 barns out of motorcycle pallets standing on ends.

13. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

I make lots of stuff from eastern red cedar taken from my property. Most of it made from trees that have laid on the ground more than a year allowing insects and weather to do muchof the debarking work. You can see some of the items here: http://stillponds.netfirms.com/

14. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I wish I could see pictures of the things you all have made. They sound really interesting.

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:p Hi Debbie! When I find an old wooden chair and want to Make a planter out it this is what I do.

Cut the seat out of the chair. A recipricating saw works great for this although you can do it by hand. I use a power stapler and staple into the previous "seat" a shallow "basket" of hardware cloth. Some people here paint the chair red or green(or whatever...?) but I like leaving them "natural" and old looking.

Line the wire with mosses(they grow wild here on all of the trees), then put in some planting mix. Then the really fun part of picking the plants.

I like putting trailing plants along the three outside edges away from the back of the chair. Then, upright plants in the middle and a nice climber to clamper up the rungs of the chair back in the rear. Then tuck mosses all around the plants to hold in the moisture, a shot of Miracle Grow, and you are all set!

Hope this helps and that you have an old chair to play with. :p

LQ

16. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband goes to the recycling field and picks up pallets/skids. We have them in the garden betwen the rows so the earth does not get tamped down. It also helps keep mud off your shoes.

Lately, he's been collecting oak pallets, though I think he also has some maple. These he has cut and fitted into a pot rack that goes over the stove fan forming a shelf, and over about three feet to the wall. Right now he's downstairs pounding something and I think he's using his pallet collection to make a rolling cupboard for under the sink. At least, I hope that's what he's doing. He'll also use the wood to make shelves in the kitchen.

In the past, he has used recycled office doors on filing cabinets to make desktops.