Tell Me I Don't Need Them!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

Just talked to a local elderly man that is selling out all of his goats. 10 does, 3 wethers, and a buck, all Alpines! $600.00 (No that is not a misprint) I don't need that many but wow what a deal.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

First question: are they healthy?

Second question: can you milk that many goats?

Third question: IF you get them, and IF you are capable of milking all of them, do you have room to store the milk (at least a day's worth at a time)?

Fourth question: are you allowed to sell milk and/or cheese where you live?

Fifth question: do you have room for that many goats, or would you have to also build a new barn, fence more pasture, etc.?

My thought is, if you can make them pencil, then go for it! But don't get carried away -- make sure you have thought it through first, and that you'll be able to manage them, and use them profitably.

Kathleen

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

We bought a guy's herd of 6 goats (2 bred) and I know the guy personally. He's a great guy. All seemed well. He delivered them and two days later I noticed one of them squinting a lot and one of the others with teary eyes. Now, half my herd has pinkeye. If I had it to do over, I'd have passed on the deal. One of the bred does that we were hoping to make some money from, is blind and her eyes look so bad, I doubt she'll ever come out of it. My brand new Nubian that I was so proud of has her eyes turning white now. What I'm trying to say is, be careful about introducing that many new goats ino your herd. You might put them in a separate lot for a month before combining them. Other than that and sorry if I scared you, it sounds like a wonderful deal!! Good luck to you!!

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Good advice, Kathleen.

If you do decide to get them, please do quaranteen them. I cannot stress that enough. Have blood drawn on them and have it tested for CAE and CL. If you are getting the goats that cheap, then it is worth getting those tests. The results are back rather quickly. Meanwhile, keep them in quaranteen not just for these diseases, but for the "common cold" type thing and other things past around that your goats may not have an immunity too. You could end up with massive vet bills. If they look fine after a respectable length of time, great, put them with your other goats. Sometimes this is hard to do, but well worth it.

Check the goats feet, make sure they are sound and the goats are not lame.

Are the goats registered? Will you have a market for all those dairy kids? Will you have time to have all those pens built by next spring? That is potentially about 20 babies, maybe more. They will need disbudding, castrating, shots etc

If you do buy them, I would go ahead and sell at least two of the weathers right away to ease the feed load. Keep one wether as a buddy to the buck unless you have a companion for the buck already then get rid of all the wethers.

Worm the new goats the day you get them so you can knock out any new worms you bring to your farm. Not 100%, but it helps.

I just tossed out a few ideas that came to mind, hope that helped. I don't think I talked you out of them though!

5. ChickenMom

Oh! Lordy no, I don't want them all (well I do WANT them all, I'm a goat-a-holic). I'm trying to talk him into selling me one or two. I have an Alpine/Spanish cross that I milk now but would like to have at least one more. I have a friend that I give milk to and she has started showing up with a bag of alfalfa every now and then and my mother uses it plus my oldest son and daughter-in-law that live next door. We already have 12 goats but only one is a milk goat, although I thought of trying one of the Boers that we raised next year for milk. She is part Nubian.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Whadayamean you don't want 'em! Take them all. You can always sell the excess later!

Ruth

7. ChickenMom

OK you're supposed to tell me I don't need them, not tempt me to buy them!

8. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

IF you can afford it? Buy them all: eat or sell the wethers (or sell for pack or pet), sort the does and sell them as needed. Use the buck if you don't have a buck on staff now...

babies babies babies for next year!

Good Luck!

(Do you have the hay for all of them?)

9. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Buy em and then sell what you don't need. That's the way you do it my dear! HAHA!! You buy them all then pick out your favorites as there will be some you look at and think NO WAY..... or WHAT A PAIN!! and then you say ok see ya later babe.... then sell them at a normal price and make a little extra to pay for feeding. There ya go! That's what I did with my girls. I knew I wanted a couple but got a better deal for the group so I bought the group then found out that I really liked one or hated the one I thought I'd love and it worked out great! Now I have a really good group that will be thinned even more after kidding cause I plan on keeping 9 doe kids and I can't have 18 does as they all need milked..... saanens who produce HEAVY! Anywho..... best of luck!

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If he will split them up, just buy the one or two that you want so you can deal with them properly. Otherwise, you will become overwhelmed unless you have the facilities, hay, feed and inclination to do what is needed to take them all on. If he will just sell a few, then go and make a selection based on quality and temperment. If you have just a couple, you can isolate and test for disease and you will have babies in the spring to raise up for more milk goats. If you end up "hating" the personality or whatever from the ones you chose to buy, then sell them. It is easier to sell one or two goats than a whole herd. That is why that gentleman is letting them go so cheap (one of the reasons perhaps). Just get what you need and can properly care for.