Tell me again how to safely use lime

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SDjulieinSC, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I know that I can use lime to help with my piggy smell. I just don't know how much or what kind ( is there even more than one kind?). There are a few places in the lot that are bad this time of year when it gets hot and wet.
    Do I just sprinkle it in those areas and cover it up? :shrug: Don't want to hurt or kill my guy doing it wrong. Thanks

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Agricultural lime from the feed store. Just sprinkle it on the areas where they potty. No need to cover it up. Lime is relatively safe just don't pour it on and watch everyone's eyes including your own. Also helps to neutralize soil and keeps flies down.

3. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

Make sure you get dolomitic lime. Hydrated lime is much more caustic and can burn your animals in the wrong situation. I just clean up as much of the manure I can and then sprinkle a good amount of the dolomite lime around their poo area as well as on my manure pile. Good luck

Chris

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

ok...here's another option to consider. Wood Ashes can be directly substituted for all lime products. I just finished reading a paper on the use of wood ash as a soil amendment and it is more beneficial in many ways than lime! I can't see why it wouldn't work as an on-farm alternative to purchasing ag lime. Again though, it acts in every way as a lime and is still caustic when over-used. I have used it successfully as a soil amendment for a few years and even feed the salted charcoal to the animals as a mineral supplement.