Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know how everyone does Christmas?

When I grew up everyone gathered on Christmas Eve at mom's house and we had lots of food (a supper where everyone brought stuff). We then gathered around in the living room wherever we could all set (usually about 40 of us). Mom was handed "the" box that would start things off. This was a box that came from her sister. It was a box that weighed somewhere around 10 pounds and was filled with homemade candy. Mom would take the first piece and then it was passed around to everyone. After the box made the circle, the littlest kids got up and passed out presents to everyone.

Then once everyone had their presents, the frenzy began! Paper was torn, shrieks of glee, lots of what'd you get? (these presents all came from mom), and then after everyone had the time to see everyone's gifts, we had a paper fight with the wadded up christmas wrap. Everyone from mom to the babies participated in that and then everyone cleaned it up and it was quiet in our little 2 bedroom house for the year again.

Now, its just my husband and I. Mom is gone. All of my sisters have their own families and their own things to do. We don't get together. Too much arguing in the family for that. My husband and I rarely do decorations and nearly never any gifts, simply because of the money situation. I always get bluesy around this time of year, missing my family, so allow me to live through your upcomings Christmases. Tell me what's happening! And I wish all of you, my HT family, a very wonderous, merry, and happy Christmas!

Valorie

·
Registered
474 Posts
We decorate the tree on Christmas Eve then have a quick supper and off to Midnight Mass. When we come home the party begins - we put on loud music and traditionally have smoked salmon on French bread and mince pies. It will be the first time we've all been together for ages - three of our four children now live away. Last thing we'll put baby Jesus in the manger in our crib. Christmas Day starts with a big breakfast, then lots of present opening.At tea-time my parents come over and we have more presents - nothing huge but picked with love. When they go home mid-evening we're all a bit tired and happy to read our new books and listen to music.
I love our Christmases but I know it will all change sooner or later - the children will make their own Christmases with new families, my parents may not be here. That's why I'm determined to enjoy it as much as I can.
Happy Christmas, Valorie and husband, and everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I get into the office at 745 and get computerized report from the offgoing triage. Work till 8 pm taking calls from anxious or ill patients or family members.
Much improved over the days when I used my home phone- rotary dial and had to fill out 3 forms on every call- 1 telephone call form for the chart, one call diary for reimbursement, one call log for all team leaders to review listing the problems chronologically.

We like to do our christmas the day after with the grandkids- it prolongs the merry season for them and their other grandparent likes to open gifts on Christmas eve so it works out all right. Now they've moved away I really miss them the day after Christmas...

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
GMB, I'm working too..... cardiac monitors and call bells beeping, and then the vent sounds off.... There will be a smaller patient load as everyone who can possibly be discharged will be, even if they come back on the 26th! Families bring presents and "goodies" for their loved ones, and we look the other way for one day when the diabetic at the end of the hall is eating fudge... :icecream: It's always nicer around Christmas. I wear my Santa scrubs and reindeer antlers, and everybody smiles.
I work nights, so Christmas will be when I get home in the morning. DD will try to keep DGS from opening everything before I get there. :p We open presents, then have a big breakfast, then I go to bed. :sleep:
Sometime during the season we try to get to the city park to see the light display. And we always pick a name off the Angel Tree at Wal*Mart or the mall. The lights are up on the outside of the house, and the cookie baking is an ongoing project. We try to have lots of kinds, old favorites and new ones we find on the net.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
On Christmas eve we drive around looking at all the decorations. Then we go home and read the Christmas story from the Bible as well as "Twas the night before Christmas". We have a veggie tray, cheese ball and crackers and of course, some home made cookies. We open one gift on Christmas eve, then DS leaves out cookies and milk for Santa and he's off to bed. Christmas morning we usually have cinnamon rolls and open gifts. Until recently we invited military people that didn't have family around over for Christmas dinner. We always had little boxes made up for them of homemade goodies to take back to the barracks with them. Since moving to Georgia we haven't done that because we don't know any of the troops that don't have family in the area.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neat stories so far. I enjoy hearing these! I especially like the idea of inviting the military folk over. That's pretty special!

This was for Thanksgiving, but when I was a teenager, my oldest sister and I would delivery a plate to some folks that we had heard were by themselves and shut ins, yet still at home for Thanksgiving. Gives a great feeling to help others like that, doesn't it?

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts