Tell me about your dog door

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Judy in IN, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm planning on installing a dog door (actually two--one in the back door, and one in the breezeway wall) but I have no experience with them, and don't know the best brand to get. I picked up a Dog Fancy magazine, and of course, all of these are wonderful, according to their ads.

I'm looking for pros and cons opinions.

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Door Open

[​IMG]

Door Closed

This is a Large Petsafe Door. It is plenty big for my 75 # German Shepherd. It is a Wonderful Thing!!

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

So...how long have you had the door installed? Has it held up well? Now, just in case you didn't have GSDs, is it designed to keep out varmits?

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

My dog door is a standard door...With a knob. Dogs can sometimes open it or lock it but they rarely, if ever, close it behind them...Same with the kids. I'm thinking about getting one that closes on it's own with some sort of hydrolic device. All kidding aside...I have danes so getting a doggie door is moot. I just simply couldn't resist.... :baby04:

5. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

That door has been installed for about 12 years. Had a carpender put it in the wall for me. If you put it in a wooden door you could probably do it yourself. I did replace the flap once as a puppy chewed it up. Otherwise I have not had any problems.

I guess anything that could figure out how to push it open could come in, but I have never had it happen. You can close it up when not in use and I usually do.

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

A Dane could fit through the X-large size with no problem. They could probably go thru the size I have even though not at a dead run like my guys come thru it :rolleyes:

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the top of the line door from Pet Doors USA. http://www.dogdoors.com/

They are expensive but I like the look and they have lasted beautifully. There are two of them and they've been in since December of 1998. I've replaced springs on the doors once.

I have four dogs currently, have never had less than two, and they go in and out all the time. The doors get used more than you'd think possible. :) I've never had any other animals use the doors except once, when a half grown puppy from two miles away found our place and followed the dogs in.

Jennifer

8. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I have one floating around that we "uninstalled" because the dogs never used it. They much prefer the human door :rolleyes:

9. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

My boxer has to "ask permission" to come in or go out. No Pet Door. Besides, he's such an "aristocrat", he thinks he's entitled to a "doorman"! (Welcome to the Waldorf)

Ha-Ha!
    Bruce

10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

My friend has one she installed for her Rotties. The last of them has passed on, but she has two housecats that use it now.

She came in one day and her cats were on the sofa, eyes wide, and all fuzzed up but couldn't figure out why. Said there was an odd odor in the house too, and strange hair on the carpet.

She found out a few days later, when the opossum paid another visit! It was crunching down on cat food in the kitchen...

I'd like a pet door, it was wonderful having one while we lived in England, but I think I'd just have to lock it at night. We have coons and skunks out here and probably other things that would consider visiting.

We are currently building a screened in back porch, may put a pet door there but not into the house.

11. GREG VT

GREG VT Well-Known Member

I put one in the wall of our mudroom so the dogs could get inside from their kennel.

I found a great door from a place in Wisconsin called Gunddogdoors.com or something very close to that. Google "Gundogdoors" and you should find it.

The door is made of welded aluminum and has a lifetime warranty. The best part was that it was only $70.00 which is much less then any other door I could find in the size I needed. I also feel it is a much better door then the plastic ones you find at the pet superstores.

My two mutts had no problem figuring it out, in fact the first time I called them through it they almost got stuck trying to get through at the same time. lol

12. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

So now I see my problem! We have Labs. They aren't exactly known for their intelligence. If I had intelligent dogs they'd be able to figure out the dog door! :doh: :rolleyes: