Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a few people mention using them ... can someone tell me exactly how one uses the thing?

My only mental image is Sunday School pictures of Jesus retrieving a lost lamb that had gotten itself down a ledge by hooking a crook around it's middle and hauling it up by the chest.

Someone care to give me a dose of reality? :)

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,598 Posts
You can hook them around the neck to hold them until you can get your hands on them, or around a leg. It basically just extends your reach.

It's also handy when herding them, for the same reason

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Crooks with a small handle at the end are useful for catching lambs by a leg. If you ever tried to catch a lamb you would notice when you are closer and bending over to grab them is just the moment they dash away. Being able to get a hold of them without getting so close helps. A crook with a larger opening is great to catch a sheep around the neck to restrain temporarily until you can get a better hold. It can also be used to guide a sheep around a pen a little for sorting. From behind you can tap a sheep on his right or left flank to turn or move her sometimes, depending on the sheep. I'm sure there are many other uses besides to hang a hat on.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Basically there are 4 or 5 types of crooks or crook-like sticks.

Staff- just a long walking stick, the kind like Little John used.

Neck Crook - the kind most people think of, also used to pull bad performers off stage

Leg Crook - used to grab the animal by the leg, not the neck. 4 to 1 odds as most duck and hide their necks once they know you are after them.

Market stick - a shorter type stick or cane mostly used when tapping or nudging livestock whilst moving them at the market. They can be plain or flashy and vary in price.

Show crook/stick - well now, these are where one spends a lot of money to look good either going to town or in trial settings. There is actually an art to making a good show stick, in fact they also have fierce competitions mostly in the UK. There are Champion crook makers who make a living off of it.

A popular top for a show crook is to use animal horn, either sheep/goat or other type. Typically it's heated up and then, .....well, everyone has their own secrets on how to shape/mold or carve into them. But some people simply whittle or carve elaborate or plain tops out of wood as well.

(and Wendle, you didn't know I knew that much about crook making did you?)

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I use a leg hold crook, but be ready for a very occasional broken leg. Great for frishing out pails from pens too! :)

·
Alannaeowyn
155 Posts
http://www.waytome.com/ sells shepherd's crooks. I have a lamb from this lady, and it's her husband that makes the crooks. They have a pretty wide variety of critters. :)

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I can't seem to get the link to work, but if you go to e-bay and then enter this: RAMS-HORN-SHEPHERDS-CROOK-COLLECTABLE-LONG-STICK you should get a great web site that offers all sorts of sticks/crooks look on the left side of page!

I sent an e-mail to the man I bought mine off of several years ago, (back in 2003) man how time flys!!! If/when he contacts me back, I'll try to post it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is a really old thread, but I was in a pinch and just bought a cane from wally world and it work pretty decent, worked our 20 head in a little over an hour with two eager but not so talented helpers, and they are cheviots so a bit crazy

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I've used mine so the sheep can see me, I'm short and the crook is at least a foot over my head. After a while, they knew if I had the crook in my hand it meant they were being moved to fresh pasture and followed me right where I wanted them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Got a little ram whos a bit lippy with me these days...until he see i have a crook in my hand and he dashes away. I've used it to hit the ram in his shins. I assume it hurts just as bad for him as i does for me from his reaction. Its a good way to demand attention from the sheep.

·
Farm Goddess
262 Posts
I carry my crook 95% of the time. I have a 9 mo old BC puppy and it is as useful to catch/slow him as it is on the sheep. It is enough staff to ward off my ram if he gets bashy. I can push the dog out farther away, shake a little to change the sheep's direction, lean on it when it's dark and muddy.... It was a gift and is seriously THE MOST USEFUL present I have ever received!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts