Tell me about living in Alaska

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CJ, Oct 10, 2005.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

:) Anyone from there? Pros, cons.... the tax situation looks excellent. Not so sure about homesteading though, a bit cold :)

2. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister lived there for eight years and emailed me just about every day. She lived in four different locations as a teacher. There were many things she loved about it---mainly the kids, the elderly, and the scenery. But I don't think she'd go back for more because of the way that most of the locals live. The winters are long and lonely. Food is expensive, fresh food almost not to be had. Do you like powdered milk? Forget salads. And although she has friends that she still talks to, she wasn't treated very well by most of the native villagers. Once she was threatened with a gun by a local drunk who had children in school. The local "police" (a tribal leader that acts as police) simply gave her a gun and showed her how to use it. The schools pretty much raise the children, feeding them, clothing them, taking them to the doctor. But don't expect to be appreciated for it. The one thing my sister said NEVER to do is take your own "white" children into this environment. What the local children do to them is not worth it.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, probably too expensive overall. Maybe South America. LOL j/k.

4. CountryChris

CountryChris Member

What part of Alaska did your sister live? I am seriously considering moving to Homer in 2 years. I don't have small children and having checked the demographics don't think too many Natives live there.

5. norris

norris Well-Known Member

I didn't live there but we spent 2 weeks in Homer last year. Alaska and the people are great...not much materialism or Hollywood culture, just down to earth folks and concerned about their liberties...good people.
    What I have heard about the natives (Indians) is consitent with Annas comments, but don't let that dissuade you, they are not all like that and they are not everywhere.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/02000.html

I had even considered moving to Alaska.

6. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in hearing from more people about this too, as DH and I have often talked about moving to the Nome area.

7. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

hubby lived and worked there a year, he wants to take us back to vist NOT live, its not like you expect, where its populated is not the pretty snowy mountains, its the coastal skeeter swamps, and he said it was a rough crowd, i think most of the picturesque places are government land

8. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm not disagreeing with you about the natives, but my experience is way different. Maybe times have changed ,but talking to all my relatives still living there it is like time has stood still. As a child growing up North of Fairbanks, the natives were my favorite people. There was a little village that was closer to us, then going into Fairbanks, so my friends were all natives. If anything I was treated very special because they were fascinated by the blue eyed white girl. In fact, I remember my mom saying that in a case of emergencies my brothers and I were to travel to the village and seek out the elders because they knew we would be safe with them. When shopping with them, I remember the ladies trying to hand me homemade dolls and necklaces as gifts. AND, they always had big grins on their faces.

Now going into Fairbanks, you have a different environment. Lots of drunks to contend with, and I wouldn't feel safe letting a child be without a parent there.

The sourdoughs (long term alaskan's) are more standoffish. You have to realize how many people move to alaska and then realize that it is not for them and leave after their first winter. You pretty much have to prove to them that you are tough enough to stay, lol.

9. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I lived outside of Anchorage for four years in the early 90's. I loved it. We could get anything foodwise that we wanted...it was just expensive. It was cold...but we acclimated. I loved it and would go back but for the expense. Homesteading there is different. You live more off the land ( hunting and fishing and foraging) Livestock isn't that prevalent...matanuska has some farmlife. Beautiful country and I loved the people...not nearly as fast paced or strung out as those in the lower 48. It was a wonderful adventure for us and our kids. They ranged from 4-12 in ages. One son is on his way back up there to live in Nov.

10. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

Alaska is where the last homestead under the Homestead Act was given out. Who knows, maybe you might find a small piece of snowy land to claim. (teasing :p)