Tell Me About INvisible Fencing

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Lynnette, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

I need to know the pros, cons, good, better, best products, effectiveness, and any other thoughts on this. I have 2 labs that it is intended for, I have heard they have a high pain tolerance and shock collars don't often work on them, True or False? HELP! I hope to install it in the Spring. DH doesn't want to bury the wire, he says it isn't neccessary, I disagree. Any thoughts on that one? :shrug:

2. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

I guess it works for some people, but friends of mine who installed invisible fencing earlier this year found out it only works until the dog figures out that running across it only hurts for a second. Maybe your dog will be different!

Margie

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Labs have thick necks. They have been bred to be stoic and bravely press through thick brush and jump into freezing water. If your labs have been bred for show or pet stock, they may be soft enough for underground fencing. Also, underground fencing will not keep other dogs out of your yard.

A regular electric fence, three strands would probably keep them in, and everything else out.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I have goldens and it works for them. It did not work for my brother's GSD. So it very much depends on the individual dog and the amount of training you put into it. Don't rush the training.

I have the PetSafe brand and have been very happy with it. My collars are the "deluxe" ones so I can determine how strong a shock to administer.

DO bury the wire. If it's just sitting on the ground it is very susceptible to breakage.

5. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

If you have the finances I would get it professionally installed...the wire is much heavier gauge with very low chance of failure. A good installer will make all the difference in the world. I get dogs dropped off all the time at my clinics who got out from their do-it-yourself set-ups.