Tell me about guns/rifles...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RollrXGirl, Aug 28, 2006.

1. RollrXGirl

RollrXGirl Member

As my previous posts indicate, I just moved out to the country from Los Angeles and am getting quite an education on country vs city living. That being said, last night I caught a trespasser on my property (very close to my house) and found myself feeling extremely vulnerable since I just basically shouted at the trespasser "what are you doing on my land?!" got no response and hightailed it inside the house where I proceeded to lock all the doors and turn on all the outside lights.

I have a big dog who's good at barking when someone or something is not right (hence how I learned of the trespasser last night) but he doesn't attack as far as I've witnessed. So basically I know I need to get a gun but I have no idea what kind to get. I can't afford to spend a lot of money and I need something that won't be too heavy, can be used to shoot at coyote or bobcats, as well as trespassing humans, if need be. I don't think I'm a handgun type of girl, but again, I don't know anything, so I hope someone here can guide me in the right direction. Thanks so much for your help.

2. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

You just need a little training! Go find a local gun shop that has classes and learn about different kinds of guns, they should also have rentals so you can try out different guns. We have some great guys at our gun shop that are really helpful!

Edited to add- we are about 25 minutes north of Dallas in Princeton- if you would like the name of the gun store we go to in Plano just let me know! That may be too far depending on which side of the area you are....

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

If you are only getting one weapon I would recommend a shotgun. You can either use shot or you can use slugs. The choice you will likely have to make would be pump or semi-auto. At least in my area pumps are generally less expensive than semi-autos.

Find out where your nearest gun dealer is. See if they have a range and/or offer a course. Try a few different weapons. Depending on your size you may want to consider a .20 gauge or a .410. These generally have less kick than a 12 guage.

I would avoid a double barrel shotgun or a single shot.

Last but not least, if you point a weapon at someone you better be prepared and willing to use it. Having and using a weapon is not something to do lightly. Be aware of your local/state laws regarding the use of force.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

4. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

Here is a little info from a fellow female LOL..
    for a shotgun get a Remmingtom 870 It is a pump. They are not too heavy and the 12 gauge is what I have. There are 2 types of 870's the express and the wingmaster the express is a little cheaper, but either one is a great gun.
    For a rifle I have a .243. You can take down alot with these(varmits, deer, bear,etc.). I have a Savage model 110 bolt-action .243... I also have the same in .270 cal. A little more kick there but not much. I hope this helps you.
    Lee Ann :)

5. RollrXGirl

RollrXGirl Member

Thanks for the replies so quickly. I'm planning to go to a local gun shop that also has training courses and a shooting range but I wanted to have some input as to the type of gun to look into before I go down there. I want to make sure I don't get talked into getting the highest price gun just because I look like I can be taken advantage of easily.

Mike in Ohio, you're totally right - if you point a weapon at someone you should be willing and able to use it - I agree 100% - I'm not really thrilled about ever being faced with that situation but I honestly don't know what else to do. If someone were to assault me, even outside my house, my neighbors more than likely would never hear a thing, what can I do to ensure that I have some protection/peace of mind since I live alone?

It's honestly very depressing to think that I cannot live without being afraid for my safety out here. :mad:

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Something that's easy to carry is a little double shot .38 derringer. They aren't worth a cr*p for distance, but do some damage up close.

7. mkh100

mkh100 Member

Wow..the possibilities are endless. For just about every gun made there is someone out there pushing it as the best home defense gun. Many will argue that one gun cant do it all and you need at least a couple to a handfull to handle every eventuality.

A shotgun springs to mind first it can be loaded with different rounds for various chores and close in is a devastating weapon. I like 12 guage for the variety but a 20 guage is a bit less difficult to manage when shooting and kicks a bit less. If I could have only one gun a decent pump shotgun would be my choice.

A rifle is great but you really need to train and practice a bit to gain any proficiency. We could talk for days about the best caliber so I am not gonna go there except to warn you that some will tell you a 22 is suitable for self defense and it just isn't so. While many a countryboy/girl received a 22 rifle as there first gun (me included) it was usually not the only gun in the house and certainly not the "go to" gun if something went bump in the night.....22's just do not have the stopping power to be seriously considered. I make 2 exceptions to the no 22 rule. #1...if its all you can get or all you can afford it sure beats a sharp stick. #2 If you wanted to buy or beg or borrow one to practice with or harvest small game and shoot nuisance animals, it is OK, but you will probably want to upgrade to something more substantial before confronting tresspasers and the like.....I know some are gonna disagree, but I have seen first hand the results of more than a few shootings and the 22 is by no means the man stopper some think.

You say your not into pistols but let me remind you that a pistol can be clipped on your belt and be taken with you next time your on the back forty. Comforting next time you come face to face with slithering vermon (2 legged or otherwise) and your out of reach of your rifle or your heavy shotty is in your closet. A revolver makes a great first handgun maybe in 38 or 357......there are a lot of those out there used for $200 or so. The concealability factor is obviously huge as well. Check your state laws before doing so but a pistol can usually be carried in your car on trips and such much more easily than a long gun. They even make "snake" loads that fire buckshot for pistols.

A lot of smart folks have been kicking this question around a long time....it pre-dates the internet even !

In order to have whatever "tool" you need for an occasion the 4 gun battery works pretty good. I would buy in this order....

#1 Shotgun, it does most close in chores really well. It is not accurate enough to say shoot a coyote thats fighting your dog, its effective range is typically less than 100 yards (for most folks about 50 yards). Wal-mart sells a line called "maverick" for under $200

#2 Pistol, keep it close for when you need it. As mentioned a used 38 for about $200 will do it......though you can spend a little or a lot depends on your choices.

#3 22, Again would not be the first or only gun I would buy, however,would likely be able to stop the coyote/dog fight without shooting your dog. Is by far the cheapest thing to shoot (like under .02 a shot or less. great against rats and squirrels and rabbits etc.. and just plain practical and fun. buy a ruger 10-22 for around $175, or a marlin model 70, or a mossberg...I think its a model 700. any of these will do $100 - $200.

#4 Centerfire Rifle, For reaching out there and making a distance shot....it really is advanced shooting but a worthwhile skill to have and to practice. a used 30-30 or 30-06 can be had for around $250-$300

Whatever you decide get someone to show you haw to use it properly.....train with it like your gonna use it, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Good Luck,

Mike

8. mkh100

mkh100 Member

By the way all the advice so far is SPOT ON....good job fellow bloggers.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i agree with the shotgun idea and the suggested size. i would add 16 guage. i have an old wingmaster 16 gauge and i love it. a twenty gauge or .410 may be best for you though. if you get a deal on a 16 gauge don't pass it by just because it seems like it is too big. it really is not that bad. if you decide to hunt someday, a .410 single shot makes a good hunting gun. my dad used a .410 for deer for many years.

10. RollrXGirl

RollrXGirl Member

Wow, this thread is exactly what I love about this board - you all are so helpful and knowledgeable! I am planning to print this thread out and holding on to it since it contains so much useful information regarding firearms.

I truly appreciate all the responses, thank you so much for your input and if anyone else has anything to add, don't let me stop you! :)

11. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I'm with the shotgun crowd.

I will take a different track as to which one though.

The Remington 870 is a great gun, I have owned a wingmaster for almost 30 yrs now. However I would recomend you find a New England Firearms "Handi Rifle" with a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel and a 30/30 or .243 rifle barrel. These are single shot guns with interchangable barrels. This gives you the flexibility of having both a rifle and shotgun for less than most rifles or shotguns cost.

Under the influence of adrenaline, a pump action gun can become awkward for a beginer. The singleshot breaks open at the chamber allowing you to see if it's empty or loaded. You can also drop a shell in the chamber and carry the gun action open, not closing it until it's needed. I should add I am teaching my wife and three stepkids with a single shot in the manner I just described.

Should you dicover you want a handgun later on, I recomend a 22 long rifle caliber revolver. I carried a 22 hndgun for years due to a feral dog problem in the area I lived. The big advantage of a handgun, is they can be carried on your hip, leaving your hands free for chores. The disadvantage of a handgun is they take alot more practice to master. That's why you want a 22 long rifle for your first handgun, the ammunition is very cheap. Also, I should mention the "rifle" in long rifle is just a name.

Best yet, take the course. Then have the instructor show you a bunch of guns and how they work

12. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

If I could only have one gun, it would be a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun, and it would also be a single shot. Very reliable, hardly any moving parts, simple to operate and clean, and inexpensive. I personally believe them to be safer for a new gun owner, but that's only my opinion, no statistics to prove that. With practice, you can fire off several rounds very quickly...not as fast as a pump or auto, but still fast. Did I already mention inexpensive?? But all advice given on here so far is first rate.

By the way, I have a Ruger 10/22 semi auto pistol. It is a well built weapon, shoots well, but a total nightmare to re-assemble after cleaning.

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you must have been the only person in LA that didnt own a weapon :)

14. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

For starters you learn that guns aren't for shooting at trespassers.

You only shoot at humans that are getting ready to do you bodily harm, i.e. to protect yourself.

You are getting enough responses to cover the rest.

15. cavscout

cavscout Member

Just remember SAFTEY first with any gun. A shotgun is not the best thing inside your house. if you get a shotgun don't load it with buckshot, just birdshot. If you shoot inside your house with buckshot it will go thru walls and possibly hit people in other rooms, such as your kids if you have any. When you do decide to get a gun. shot it often so you keep in practice with it. If you get a pistol dont' buy the cheapest one you can find. get a quality weapon.

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    All readers do be aware that in the past there have been numerous inquires concerning guns - in some cases it appeared to be rookie police officers fishing for information. This forum is publicly accessible, your words can be traced back to your location - speak accordingly. As far as trespassers goes I just give them my meanest look. The combination of low post counts here should be observed.

17. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I don't really have anything to add as far as gun choices. The advice you've received has been excellent. One thing in your original post did catch my eye, however, and I wanted to mention that. You said that you turned on all the lights in the house when you went back inside. This is the worst thing you can do, because then you can't see anything outside, but puts you in clear vision to whomever is outside. You want to turn on any lights you have outside, and turn off all the lights inside. This way you can see more clearly what's going on, and at the same time make it more difficult for them to see you.

18. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

When I took my handgun course the instructor told us, "if someone is in your house nothing will get them out faster than the noise a shotgun makes when racking in a shell". Almost everyone knows what that chunk chunk noise is. For home protection, I would go with a pump shotgun. This is just my opinion.

19. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Very good advice. The sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell strikes terror into just about everyone, and is probably the best "alarm" sound there is. Practice, Practice , Practice. When you can handle a gun as easily as you sign your name your getting there.

20. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Tyusclan, reread her OP. She said she turned on all her OUTSIDE lights.