Tell me about Columbia SC!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thinkinaboutit, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Thinkinaboutit

Thinkinaboutit Well-Known Member

My husband might take a job in Columbia SC. Can anyone tell me about homesteading in SC? Where should we look for inexpensive land? What are the laws like there for building as well as selling processed livestock? What else can you think of that you think I should know about moving there?

www.WhatIsTheTrueGospel.com

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I considered Columbia years ago. Columbia has to be the hottest city east of the Mississippi. I also remember something about a hazardous waste incinerator or dump being near there.

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Columbia IS HOT ! You will have to like hot weather to live there. I am a native of S.C. & spent time @ Ft. Jackson, there. Partially sandy soil, lots of pine trees, large Army base, much growth, & plenty to do.Beaches, or mountains are about 125 miles away, large lake in the area, plenty of jobs, &&& did I mention it gets " HOT " && humid, there?

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I lived there for three and a half years. I've been trying to think of something nice to say. They have a long deer season. Good fishing. The mountains and lakes near greenville are nice. On the other side of the state is Myrtle Beach, and the girls are pretty. Don't go anywhere in between those two borders. Stock up on cases of roach killer. When I was there we had a hurricane, tornadoes every other week, it snowed there three years in a row... dusting...and shut down the state for a week each time. More types of poisonous snakes than any other state in the union. Don't say union down there. Gators, snakes, ticks, cockroaches in plague proportions year round, same for fleas, and fire ants. Don't ever get stopped by the police with an accent from any other state. Really bad idea. You'll learn quickly about which bars to stay away from. I knew several 13 year old girls who were married there. Good fishing there.

6. Sparrow

Geez woodspirit, your post makes mine look like optimism. LOL

7. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

I cant say that cause I would probably be kicked off the board.

8. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

My gosh!!! Boy do we sound bad...

I live in the 'upcountry' and it is most pleasant with plenty of farmland and pleasant communities, though most of our communities are hobby farms or farms with at least one person earning an outside income. Most of SC is friendly, even to people from out of state, if YOU try to fit in. You can NOT come here and continually berate our way of life and think that we'll be pleased to have you. There ARE two or three areas of SC where 'outsiders' will always be 'outsiders', Charleston and "old"Columbia being two of them. Beaufort on the other hand, Charleston's southern side neighbor, is VERY welcoming to folks from everywhere.

My daughter lives in Columbia, while she is attending medical school. She's been raised here in the upstate on a farm, and attended college in Spartanburg. She's having a terrible time adjusting to Columbia, but alas, there are no med schools in the country... It is indeed the hottest city anywhere, and humid and apparently, to hear her tell it, full of insane drivers. On the other hand, she found a summer job, where folks were friendly and helpful, even when bad things happened, like her car broke down in an intersection. They went out of their way to help. She runs in local parks and neighborhoods, and kayaks the Saluda river. (every day after work , friendly kayakers meet and paddle). She found a good fit in a church right away. She found a hairdresser and plenty of acceptable shops that suit her just fine.

Were my husband to be transferred to Columbia from far away, I'd look to neighboring counties. Newberry is beautiful, rural and very nice. Plenty of jobs, lots to give credit to it.

We live about an hour, fifteen minutes drive from Columbia. If you come in state to take a look, give me a heads up and I will be delighted to meet you and show you around.

hugs,
    dawn

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

My father-in-law is from Columbia and when we've visited family we've found the people to be very nice in the area. It is beautiful in the spring.

10. Sparrow

11. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

Not wanting to be rude or crude,
    There is only one "secret" to getting accepted here in the South. Just remember, "We dont care how you did it up north!" People want to move here and change things, thats why some people are never accepted. That is the biggest reason northerners dont get accepted.

Point of information! :p

12. Sparrow

13. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

Better not say that in public! I think you'ld find out you are wrong. :p

14. Sparrow

15. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

See what I mean?

16. Sparrow

17. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Moving to any new place requires that you keep an open mind, & accept things/people that are not just like " back home."

18. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

I apoligize for the rambling nature of the following, as I am tired, it's been a long day!
    We've worked fencing and repairing the hens outdoor runs.

Back to the original post, We have four beautiful seasons, three hot and warm ones and one cool one... we get snow about once every two or three years, that lasts about a day or two. I garden, organically, and have chickens, dogs, cats and horses.
    Our kids go to public schools, and have done well. One graduated at 16 and has completed an excellent college and is in medical school. We live in a very rural community, with few problems at all with building codes and restrictions. Our property is reassessed every 10 to 15 years or so. Our taxes in the upstate are reasonable. Our taxes in the lowcountry are NOT. We have excellent hospitals and many public venues. We get our electricity from an electrical cooperative, as well as our phone service from a rural telephone cooperative. We do NOT have high speed cable availability.(folks in town have everything, but there is not availability where I live) Again, we're very rural. In the outlying areas, rural property is reasonable compared to some states. Many farms are being broken up and sold to make developments, with the vast majority of these developments being within 20 miles of a metropolitan area, like Greenville, Columbia and Florence.

I can't tell you too much about processed meat sales, except that I get my meats from a small store and the meat is locally grown. It's good meat at a reasonable price. There are three such stores in 20 miles of me. There is also a business that will kill and dress your animals for youor you can purchase 1/2 a hog or cow.
    We do have plentiful deer, and we hunt and eat the creatures.

We do garden year round. There are few winters so cold as to kill the 'greens', which I harvest in deepest winter. We are in a river bottom with rich, dark soil. Our horses are on pasture, with us supplimenting with hay about 4 months a year. Depending upon where you land in the state, you're in zone 7 or 8.

In town, we're like everyone else. In the tourist areas, the prices of things are nuts.
    You can drive across the state in about 4 1/2 hours and get to everything from the ocean to the mountains. Our water, from a well, is clean and wonderful. Our river is clean and serves as the main source of drinking water for the next town down river.

I'm not sure if it's considered a disadvantage, but we have to drive about 15 to 20 miles to work, because, again, we live in the boonies. We don't consider it a disadvantage.

Big disadvantages...Heat It is very hot here in the summer, you can plan on July and August being stifling. Sounds strange, but your blood gets thinner so that you can tolerate it. The folks I know from upnorth tolerate the heat better than native southerners do.
    Taxes in tourism areas, along the coast, mainly are pretty high, property taxes, sales and hospitality taxes. This is on a county by county basis. Again, that's something you check BEFORE you buy.

Contrary to what some may believe, most people in SC are great. We have many great colleges and universities, and our public technical colleges are free to nearly everyone thanks to the lotto. So, educational level is improving. Even those who aren't degreed seldom live in the past any more. We are not a state of stupid, ignorant people. Most folks here are deeply faithful and church attending. There are enough of us who live fairly simple country lives. We have a great state fair. (I'm taking my exchequer leghorns and a pair of domineques)

While I do not homeschool, I have a number of friends who do and they are members of homeschooling cooperatives that are very successful. It's a very acceptable thing and some homeschoolers here even do things at the public school like marching band.(Not every school district allows this, but some do)
    They are included in things like extracurriculars, recently we held a 'field day' at a local wetland preservation and the homeschoolers were invited and came.

Like any other state, it's all about what you make it.
    I pm'd you some websites that you might find useful.

19. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add about Columbia, but I lived in the Charleston area for 4 years. We loved it and would happily return to the low country and would readily consider other areas as well.

I think SC license plates state, "Beatiful places and smiling faces." How true.

20. Thinkinaboutit

Thinkinaboutit Well-Known Member