Tell me about Boise Idaho and surrounding towns

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

What are the typical concerns for that area?

Is Idaho a Gun Friendly place?

Is the water good or mineralized as in some states where a lot of mining took place? Typical depth to hit fresh water. (well)

Any crazy laws on zoning, raising animals, building codes and permits?

Typical insurance on 3 vehicles (yearly) House Insurance?

Weather in Boise?

Thanks for your insights.

Kenneth in NC

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

IDAHO STATE LAWS (Idaho got an F+ rating from the Brady Bill org http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=id so it must be a good place for gun owners)

Anti-Trafficking: Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on gun sales? No

Assault Weapons: Are there limitations on assault weapons and magazines? No

Attorney General Regulations: May Attorney General regulate guns? Yes

Background Check At State Level: Do state police perform a background check in addition to federal NICS check? No

Ballistic Fingerprinting: Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale? No

CCW Limits: May police limit carrying concealed handguns? No

Child Access Prevention - CAP: Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids? No

Child-Safety Locks: Must locking devices be sold with guns? No

Gun Manufacturer Accountability: Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable? No

Gun Show Checks: Are background checks required at gun shows? No

Juvenile Possession: Are minors restricted from possessing guns? Partial

Juvenile Sale: Is it illegal to sell guns to kids? Yes

License or Permit to Purchase: Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? No

Local Gun Laws - Preemption: May cities enact laws stronger than the state's? No

Record Keeping: May police maintain gun sale records? No

Safety Standards: Are there consumer safety standards on guns? No

Safety Training: Is safety training required for handgun buyers? No

Saturday Night Specials: Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns? No

School Zones: Is it illegal for CCW permit holders to carry guns into schools? Yes

Secondary Sales: Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No

Waiting Period: Is there a waiting period on gun sales? No

3. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

4. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

About 3 hours North of Boise there is a county that doesnt have land use planning. Building permits are required in the county seat (Grangeville) but outside of that town just septic and new power hookups.

Gun laws are easy IMO.

We pay about $900 a year for insurance on 2 newer rigs. Tags for the Durango are $47 a year.

House insurance maybe $300? we are guessing here LOL

Some water up in our area is iron others is very good.

I know you wanted surrounding towns but north of Bosie there are some really nice areas. Boise/Sounthern Idaho are totally differant than Northern Idaho climate and lay of the land wise.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I live in central idaho in Idaho county where grangeville is the county seat.... my brother lives in Boise 5 hours on dry pavement away.... my five acres and house cost 90K insurance runs about $400 per year..... his less than an acre subdivision look like all the nieghbor houses cost him $140k and his insurance on a no wood heat is about $700 per year.... his water is community system, mine is 700 feet about 40 degrees very little mineral....

in 1978 Idaho people decided to make an addition to the consitution for firearms that makes it clear no one is gonna take any of them away [unless like most idiots you hand them over to a person with a badge without cause]

http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/const/icA01TOC.html

Article one SECTION 11. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. The people have the right to
    keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision
    shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons
    concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum
    sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent
    the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms
    by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the
    use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special
    taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition.
    Nor shall
    any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the
    commission of a felony.

Any legislative administrative laws contrary to the above are/were void at the inception as afforded in Marbury v Madison 1 cranch, 1803

I had my 45 win mag stolen one night by a state trooper, so i filed a criminal complaint for grand theft, had a judge witness my signature and within ten days i had it back... of course since he gave it back [i had to travel 70 miles to get it from the state police shop] then there was no reason to persue the idiot cause i guess if after a person commits a crime and gives the property back there was no crime..... at least in Idaho county where I am concerned.

and abovein section 11 if you read close about concealed cary, only WEAPONS are to be licensed here, firearms by definition in several supreme court rulings are different than weapons..... they are considers ARMS and as such are not covered by the tricky wording..... know a few people who have beat that count too.

So firearm friendly yes, you can have just about any firearm you want here if you know how to do your own paperwork in the court system, if you "rent" and attorney to RE-present you [dead body in front of the judge] they will generally sell you short into administrative legislation

Water rights in idaho are getting screwed up with the "snake river adjudication" action that has been taking place the past 20 years or so.... mostly in a nutshell the defacto side of the state brought suit against the DeJure side of thecstate to pervert the water rights by getting the old holders to "refile" and take away their grandfather clauses.... so the old water rights if filed again are subject to the new rights which may have been filed relatively short time but get president over the once established right because of inability of the holder to understand the pettyfoging shysters bring such an action in the first place...... conspiracy? kinda.... queens equity court of england most definately.... its all over dollars and makes no sense, except that perhaps in a couple more years idaho water will be travel via pipeline to southern california.....

Idaho is a great place to live, raise a family but its getting to be so much like Kalifornia it isnt funny, Idaho law is based mostly upon Kalifornia law, and with so many transplants here with the attitude "well where i came from" it gets to the point of cant fight it anymore and have to be assimilated into being inland Kaliforina perhaps.

Vehicle tags cost perportionally to what tonage you are loading... cars are about $35, light trucks can run a car tag, but cannot tow a trailer without the additional cost of a truck plate pushing it to $52 for up to 12,000 pounds, next jump is 16,000 pounds for about $65 +/- next jump is 24,000 and is just below commercial tags..... just about everything you mght wanna know is profiled in 49-idahocode-401 et seq motor vehicle code.

Rant over hopefully i even provided some information worth chewing on.

William

6. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

The weather here is sometimes fine and sometimes not so good. Just like anyplace else. We get alot of inversions because of the foothills we are surrounded by. Today however is beautiful. Sunshine. We haven't had any winter to speak of this winter. The taxes here are high in my opinion. And propery is high.

7. Kenneth in NC

Gun Wise sounds great.

Now on taxes. Our place here ($94,900) taxes run $375 year and vehicle tax on a 1992 Ford Explorer ($27) and a 1995 Dodge Dakota ($33). Insurance for both was $700 (year) House Insurance runs $425 yearly.

That's on 2.3 acres, 1997 3bed 2 bth mobile home.

If all works out we'll be visiting Idaho this summer.:)

8. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Previous post was my wife's...

We paid about $71,000 for a two-bedroom, one bathroom, stick-built house on 2.42 acres.

I don't know too much about the areas around Boise, but I've heard acreage is getting expensive there. I think there are still some "ranchettes" in that area.

I'm sure if you got online and contacted a real estate agent in the area, they would be glad to send you one their quarterly fliers that show what's available.

Jobs probably pay better down that way, at least in my field.

The Boise area is as much as a metropolis as you are going to get in Idaho. I think Boise is maybe 150,000, and not sure about surrounding towns like Eagle, Meridian, Nampa.

I have also heard of some gang activity in Nampa area.

Gun laws are friendly. If you follow the rules, i.e. leave it out in the open or get a concealed weapons permit (which is pretty easy), you'll be okay.

Even if you accidentally don't follow the rules and get caught by LE, it's likely you'll be warned, as long as you are not on probation or wanted on a warrant, since most prosecutors would probably decline to prosecute anyway.

As far as Californians, yes there are many, but most do not want Idaho to become California. I am a native-born Californian and know what it's like down there. I certainly do not want that here.

One of the funniest things, along those lines, is native-born Idahoans with useless land that sell it at inflated prices to Californians, then complain about how things are changing. They want the Californians money, but want them to go away. :haha:

9. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to idahostatesman.com and check real estate prices out. I think today is the day with the most listings. If you want country living I think you might want to stay out of the Meridian area even though we are close to Boise. We are becoming so metro there won't be any place left.
    When I wake up a bit I'll tell you about the nice ladies from California who moved in the subdivison behind here and the "Poor lost little cows" LOL PAM

10. Kenneth in NC

Tell Us PAM What about the "Poor lost little cows"?

Kenneth in NC