Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I were coonhunting one night, he had a dog on trial and I had a small redbone gyp. We turned them in a swamp beside the river. After a while they started opening and the race was on. Then they cutoff and started throwing tree barks but were not treeing right, but we went to them anyway. When we got there the dog he had on trial was blowing the top out of a tree next to the water. My dog was not treeing, we looked the tree over and no ****. He reached and put a leash on his dog and I reached for mine, but she jumped in the water and started swimming away, I thought why is she doing that. Then she started swimming round and round a tree out in the water and barking treed, then she came back to the bank and sat down and looked toward out in the water. I shined my light up the tree that was out in the water and there was the ****. Some dogs are smarter than people.LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Myself and a friend were **** hunting one night and we were about done. All we had to do was cut through a cedar ball area and then back to the truck. Well we were about halfway through and the hound we had was out front just running circles when all at once some kind of nasty squall that sounded like it was right next to us cut out. Well my buddy was carrying the single shot .22 rifle, he cocked it immediatly. Then we started real slow slipping along trying not to make much noise. When we got to the truck the dog was already there and hid out under it. We had to drag him out to get him in the dogbox. The next morning we were telling his dad about it. He said it was a mountain lion but I just can't imagine one there. He says his dog would chase a bobcat or anything else but I don't know. I guess he could have gotten scared as well. I know my buddy was sure white.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Was out Deer hunting with my BIL.He was using a 16ga. with Slugs,I was using a 30-30.

We was walking along up jumped a Buck,my BIL pulls up and shoots,the Deer flintches but keeps running,I pull up and dropped him.

BIL runs over puts a Tag on him and says thats the first Deer he has ever killed.I informed him that he still hadn't killed it that I did :shrug: He says well where did you hit it,because here is where I hit and showed me where his Slug had clipped the Ham and came out the Flank.He said oh well we'll see when we skin it.

Took it home and skinned it didn't see no other place it had been hit.Told my DW that I know I killed that Deer because I had killed too many.

Well later my other BIL came down there gave me a 30-30 Slug.I asked him where they found it? He said it was up in the Shoulder from where his DB Slug had came out.So I had shot through that hole,went through and lodged in the Shoulder.

big rockpile

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is something I had posted here as Hillbillybob47 and ot is now gone. You wanted a true story well here is one about the 13 point buck that I shot. Nothing made up at all.
Hillbillybob

My nephew call this morning asking what I would like him to bring down special for deer season. He wanted to know if I still had that big old bucks horns or if I had left them at the other house. ( lake house sold after wife passed away and moved back to farm )
Anyway I was remembering that hunt and it is one of the few times I almost forgot to thank the Big Boss for putting meat on the table!
It was opening morning and my wife was in the hospital due to get out sometime that day! We knew it would be in the afternoon. I don't hunt for horns, only tender meat to put on the table. She demanded that I hunt before I came up and got her. Didn't want me to loose the first day to have fresh meat.
I sat down at the bridge, one of the few places poachers come onto my property until about 7:30 AM. I do this every deer season. I finely head to my stand and where the old logging road splits I decided that the wind is wrong to hunt from my stand that morning so I go on straight about 200 feet and sit down on the road that goes to my good neighbors. His land is only another 250 feet away. I am just getting settled in when I notice movement to my left behind me along the fence line between the neighbor and my self. I look and see the horns so I settle back to let him pass. More movement and I see a very large doe well now my heart beats a little faster. Meat for the table and If I get her I will try for the buck for hamburger. I raise my rifle and wait for her to come into the road clearing but who comes out. The buck. I just can't believe he came out first but I wait finely she comes into the road clearing behind the buck. Now my heart is really beating. She will make a lot of meat! I wait for about 10 minuets to get a clear shot and finely get a chance at her. The buck is out of the way! I get my shot placement ready and squeeze the trigger but just as I do the buck jumps back and I see him going down and see the doe gone.
Now I get up and walk over to the buck and he is dead. I don't carry a knife with me as I can always find a sharp rock or make one on the spot. I'm already upset because my meat has run off! Now looking around I don't see any good flint to make sharp. I'm also lost it with anger at myself for killing the buck as this thing has 13 points and his rack is large. You will never hear me use foul words but this day was different! All my neighbors for a mile could here me and I wasn't talking very nice!
I walk down the road back toward the split not finding any flint and remember an old heavy window glass I have their. I break it and use it to field dress the buck the best I can. I put the liver into a bag and put that inside the carcass. Now even though my neighbors hears me gone native and mad none have come to see if I need any help. It's down hill to the pond road as their in only one pond then. I get the buck dragged that far across the spill way and I'm not able to drag the deer any farther as the next 100 ft is up a small grade. At least it's not far to the neighbors so I walk down and get some help. I finish field dressing the heart and lungs out keeping the heart. I went to the farm in my good car so I get some plastic and line the trunk. we slip the buck in and had a time with three of us getting the job done. I have blood all over me that never happens and I'm really upset with my self. I still haft to check in the buck and go pick up my wife. It is now about 11 AM. No time to get cleaned up so I put a blanket over the seat and head to the check in station! Everyone at the station is trying to pat me on the back telling me what a good job I have done, and all I can think of is my meat is still running around the woods. I get to the hospital having to go in by the emergency room and this nurse sees me covered in deer blood and wants to know if I'm alright. ( this is a bad day ) I let her know that it is deer blood and go on up to pick up my wife who is waiting for me. Her room mate has company and I walk in blood covered. My wife looks at me and ask what happened to me. I grumble a @#$# old 13 point buck in the trunk of the car.
Well we had company going down to the car as the other woman's company wanted to see the buck. We finely get home and I get the buck shinned ground
and wrapped. I told my wife she had better fix some plain hamburgers out of the meat. I wanted to know if we could even eat the meat. I must admit that buck was about the finest eating I have ever had out of deer meat but had to grind everything. He was just to tough to eat other wise.
My wife about beat me to death with a fly swatter everytime we had that buck for my small thanks to the Big Boss for providing meat for us to live on. I had only shot one other large buck in my life. I was 17. He was old tough and stunk so bad we couldn't eat him. My dad tried to feed him to the dogs but they wouldn't eat that deer either. We ended up burning up the meat. I guess that is way I was so disappointed in killing this buck.
I have killed lots of deer for meat but this buck has the most memories that are both good and dad with it.
Now I can look back at how foolish I was on that day. For the very spot that I shot him has give me some of my best flint to work with.
It is funny how blind you can be with you have anger in your eyes.
May you have peace in your heart and no anger in your eyes.
Hillbillybob

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Okay here is a true event from when I worked for the California Department of Fish and Game at Hot Creek Fish Hatchery in 1987. That is located at 8,000 feet in elevation on the Eastern Sierras off of Hwy 395. South of Yosemite Nat'l Park and North of Mt. Whitney (highest point in the lower 48 states).

Well it was time to do some fish planting of the several species of trout that we raised there - rainbow, brown, brook, cutthroat, lake, and golden trout. One day the Hatchery Manager comes in and says it is time to do aerial fish planting. Who wants to go?? Well out of 15 employees 6 of us volunteered. So we drew lots, and I got to go on the third flight. There was a small single airstrip rural airport near the fish hatchery which we flew out of.

This was in a twin engine beechcraft heavily modifed aircraft. In the lower fusilage, they put in bomb bay doors which opened and closed remotely. There were 30 seperate 5 gallon aerated tanks full of 2-4 inch long trout. The co-pilot could control which tanks were released by a remote control board at his seat. I was there to monitor the fish and to see how the aerial fish planting hit on the alpine lake. It was very strange to be flying at 12,000 feet in altitude and see mountains outside the window of the plane!

So our 1st aerial planting site was just outside the south edge of Yosemite National Park. We confirm that it was the correct lake, circle around twice, and get orientated for the "Bombing Run". The co-pilot says, "hey look there is a guy in an inflatable raft way out here, lets have some fun!" Pilot goes, "OK just don't loose the fish.." and I keep my mouth shut not knowing what is coming next.

We circle around and line up on the middle of the alpine lake where the guy is fishing. We dive down and at apogee where they pull the nose of the plane up to climb, they release the 6 seperate five gallon compartments of fish and water. I see it hit very close to the raft, while the pilots are banking and climbing the plane, and laughing hysterically. At this point I am laughing from the event or out of not being sure what these two fly boys are gonna do next flying between mountain peaks.

Meanwhile as I tell this on ham radio: The unlucky recipent of hundreds of 2-4 inch long fry is probally wondering what those crazy yahoos in the plane are gonna drop next as we circle above (they plant the fish that small so they will stay in the water column and break the surface tension of the lake for higher survial rates). But now 20 years later, when that rafter tells the story, I bet he is saying we dropped 2 foot long trout out of the sky and into his raft that day..

Now I know why the long time hatchery employees, did not want to go do aerial fish planting that day at work... I did not get airsick, but was concerned on their abilities to fly into the small alpine lakes we planted the fish in. Some highly dramatic flying that day. I think that they were ex-fighter pilots maybe???? And I had been in the Infantry in the Marine Corps, with my feet on the ground not used to such manuvers.

Many years ago, they used to plant fish into alpine lake by hauling them in by packmule. That journey would take days at times.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Now Bob, I've heard some tall tales before but that one takes the cake. Ain't nobody gonna convince me somebodys wife "demanded that I hunt before I came up and got her." Nice story otherwise.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Farmerwilly2 said:
Now Bob, I've heard some tall tales before but that one takes the cake. Ain't nobody gonna convince me somebodys wife "demanded that I hunt before I came up and got her." Nice story otherwise.
Well farmerwilly we never eat beef and deer is as close to beef as we get. Hunting for deer wasn't something that I done or do for fun or sport. I hunt for one reason and that is to fill the freezer with meat, nothing more nothing less. You might go to the store and buy your meat, well I get mine during hunting season. I don't raise any animals to eat. I have 1 dog and 1 cat.
So you can see hunting for meat is not a pass time with me or something that I just do with my friends. No deer no meat for the year.
Hillbillybob

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
oops :shrug:

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
I was fishing with my GF all day (past event) and neither of us caught a thing.

I handed her my pole so I could get off a rock and she tossed it into a fast deep spot in the creek and something hit it, she panicked, and yanked out a 23 inch brown trout.

I havent caught a trout since, and that was about 5 yrs ago.

I do try.... I even hand her the pole now and then to see if its jinxed.

LOL

G

·
The first year after my wife and I got married she wanted to follow me everywhere. Even into the deer woods. So I bought her a deer tag and was letting her use my Remington bolt action 30-06 to hunt with. On the very last day she hadn't shot a buck yet. Here in Oklahoma if you haven't shot a buck yet by the last day you can use that tag to harvest a doe. Well we was looking for doe's when I spotted 3 does walking about 80 yards from us. The lead doe was a big mature deer and behind her was probably a 1 year old doe, and last in line was last springs little doe.

I told my wife to aim and shoot the big doe in the lead. She took aim and tried to squeeze the trigger off but she didn't have the safety off. She raises the barrel up in the air and flipped the safety off and then started lowering the rifle. Just as she was lowering the rifle and before she could view through the scope, the rifle shot off. BOOM! Just as it fired off I seen the little wee doe collapse to the ground and never move again. I hollered out "You got one"! My wife looked at me and said "I did"?

It dressed out at 49 pounds! :rolleyes: My wife was so disapointed cause she wanted something big enough to brag about.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep um coming guys, Im enjoying readnum. Here a shortun while you catch yur breth. My dads cousins had been bugging him about wanting to go **** hunting with him, so he toldum to be to his house friday night and they could go. Friday came and they were there well before dark. After supper they help dad load the dogs and they left. Dad new where a cornpatch was next to a large woods which was thick with catclaw briars and mud but a lot of *****, but it must have been a night when ***** feed late. Anyway after the dogs had been gone bout an hour, you barely could hear um treeing bout a half mi. Now this was lantern light **** hunting. Dad lit the lantern and they followed him single file through the briars and mud without a light for them.Finally they got to the tree and the **** was in a holler tree. The boys got to looking at their wounds and thinking about that trip back. Dad ask them how they liked coonhunting. All three said they did'nt like it and would never go again. Dad said whats wrong with it? They said all this mud and them briars and we got to go back through them. Dad said oh I see You dont like the briars, Follow me over here about twenty yards, they did and they walked up on a ridge and there was an old road. Dad said, boys this old road goes to within ten yards of the truck. They said why did'nt you tell us about this road? He said, up to now I thought you liked **** hunting. :)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
This happened about 40 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I had never been fishing before. I was a new bride and DH was a fisherman so I decided to go with him. I would NOT touch the bait so he kindly baited my hook for me.

I caught a fish, got it close to the bank and he netted it. While he was taking the fish off the hook, putting it on the stringer, and baiting my hook, he got a hit on his pole. Of course being the wonderful helpful wife that I was, I set the hook and brought his fish in for him.

He was very happy that I seemed to enjoy fishing. He wasn't so happy when the same scene was played out 3 or 4 times in a row. Finally he told me I would have to learn to bait my own hook. I would NOT touch that bait. I got a bit snooty and told him I'll just fish without any bait.

Now you have to picture a brand spanking new shiny gold hook falling thru the water. I tossed it out there and got a hit. In came another fish. I had snagged it thru the tail fin! :)

He never took me fishing with him again. :(

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Was shore fishing with ex FIL some years ago for pike. He had a big hit on his dead bait with a bobber, and hooked a big northern pike. Then the line snapped ahead of the bobber. Not from the bite of the fish, but the line must have had a weak spot and broke when he made the hook set.
We watched and could see that bobber moving across the top of the water. It would go down occasionall, then pop back up somewhere, and then sometimes move very fast, sometimes stop dead still. We knew the fish was under that bobber hooked with the bait. So, we had a canoe on top of the vehicle and both looked at the canoe and looked at each other saying, 'how about we try chasing that fish down with the canoe'? Okay, so we takes down the canoe and launch it.
We paddeled right up to the bobber that was still at one spot. We had a long handled net to try and scoop up this fish that we were canoe chasing....or try and grasp any line we might see trailing off that bobber and hand reel the fish into the canoe.
Well, the fish took off again with the bobber moving so fast it creates waves. I paddle like a maniac and FIL is in front ready to use the net. The bobber stops!
We think, Okay, this is it. We now will net that stupid fish once and for all!
Then the bobber disappears as the fish takes a deep dive. We feel beat, so we turn the canoe back. Then the bobber pops up again right in front of the canoe. FIL frantically shoves the net down in the water and feels the fish hitting the net, but can't scoop it in. Too big. Don't know how big, maybe at least 20 lb. cause we used a big smelt bait for the big ones in that lake.
Anyway, he was so excited, he wanted to keep up the chase feeling convinced we could get that fish in the canoe.
Well, it didn't happen. We did one final 'chase' of the fish toward shoreline and it got into a some underwater brush, but the bobber was now still... and some line attached. FIL reaches down picking up the line...then the bobber comes in,,,,but the fish broke the line at the hook. Probably it wrapped around a snag and took off without the bobber.
For that day, our prize was this big bobber and a lot of fish story talk. Laughed our butts off. :rotfl:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Back many years ago a friend and I were bowhunting. He had a Baker "Mighty Might" tree stand. A deer walked right underneath his stand and he took a shot at it. Only problem was that his feet were bigger than the platform on the stand. Shot right through his tennis shoe between his big toe and the one next to it on his left foot. Six stitches (lucky!).
Worst thing was, his wife had the shoe mounted and gave it to him for Christmas that year.

galump

·
Registered
509 Posts
I thought I would tell you another true only fishing story.
I was about 10 when my best friend moved away and I have never seen him since. He was 14 at the time. He had taught me to fish when I was 6 years old and we fished almost everyday during Summer break.
Well I moped around for several weeks and my dad finely said he would go fishing with me one Saturday afternoon. My dad wasn’t much of a fisherman or hunter. He worked and worked it seamed all the time.
Well we got to the creek and settled down. We were fishing with whole corn to catch whatever would bite. My dad got his hook baited and cast out his line, A carp jumped out of the creek and grabbed my dads hook in mid air. My dad had the time of his life and we finely got the carp in. It weighed about 5 lbs.
That made a fisherman out of my dad and we spent many Friday and Saturday evenings fishing after that. I have never had a fish grab my hook out of the water in mid air.
Now as I look back on it I can’t help but wonder how much the Big Boss had a hand in that carp jumping out of the water and taking my dads hook?
I think we get blessing when we least expect it or even give thanks when needed.
Hillbillybob

·
NJ Rich
1,239 Posts
I took my eldest son, then 8 years old, fishing with my buddy George. As poor luck would have it, fishing was very poor. My son wanted to fish with a hand poured plastic worm I made. I figured he had a better chance with a night crawler but he wanted to "fish like Dad". We were on the edge of a flat in about 4 foot of murky water and he said he had a fish. I watched his rod tip and there wasn't any movement. I grabbed the tip and couldn't feel anything on the other end. I told him he was "stuck on something". He insisted he had a fish. We troll motored over to where the line entered the water and there was a bunch of brush. When he pulled on the rod I could see a largemouth bass in the middle of the brush. As providence would have it, we were able to get the fish out of the brush and net a very nice 31/2 pound bass. His first bass.

About two hours later I hooked and lost a chain pickerel. It rolled on the surface and I knew it was a nice fish. I told Rick to cast in there. He did and the pickerel hit the same worm the bass was caught on. We were able to net that one too. It was about 4 pounds.

Dad didn't catch a fish that day but I wouldn't trade that for a wall hanger fish. I still have the plastic worm pinned to the wall in my "fishing area of the basement". Rick has a 8 x 11 color picture of him and his fish. He has one of the biggest smiles you may ever see. He is now 38 and can remember every moment of the trip.

It doesn't get any better than that. Quality time with your kids is one of the best investments you can ever make. Take your children hunting and fishing. It can be a win, win time with your kids. NJ Rich :dance:

UP-DATE: Saturday, September 1st, 2007: I just received an e-mail from George's wife Vera. He passed away due too cancer at 4 am this morning. Please say prayer for my friend. :Bawling:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well I'm gonna help ya out then Bob and see if we can't get you some meat in the freezer. What we do here is we catch us a spring doe, best way was to lure em in with apples beneath the tree. See, then we take and leap down on her, wrassle her to the ground. We take a length of monofilament and thread up through her backside till it comes out throught her mouth. Now, you take the mouth end of the mono and tie it to a wide gum band (that's a rubber band for the ill informed), leaving about a 2 inch tail. We tie off a 1/4 ounce lead weight to it. You have to be careful here, but you pry that deers mouth open and slip that gum bad round it's teeth so its snug like. Now, you take two shot shells (I like 000 buckshot) and twist them around in that gum band, but make sure they are tucked back inside that does mouth so's they caint be seen. Now, lastly, and you got to make sure you keep a tight grip on that doe whilst your doing this, you tie a bright red and yellow bandana to the end of that mono sticking out of that does hind end. Make sure that the bandana is sticking at least 6 inches down below that does tail. While you're tying it off you need to make sure that doe don't jerk forward on ya or the games up. Once its tied off turn her loose and wait. Now whats gonna happen ya see is that young doe is going to run to catch up with the rest of the does its been a running with. Now deer is quite quizzical creatures by nature, and sure as shootin once that young doe catches up to the herd they're gonna gather round to make sure she's fine and to welcome her back. Now you know how curious they are, one is for sure gonna see that bandana grab ahold of it and start tugging. When she figures out its still attached she gonna let go, and that gum band is gonna shoot back. Well sir, that lead weight is gonna keep sailing forward till it hits them shot shells and buckshot will go to flyin. I seen up to 12 deer killed in one good butt pull this way. Usually ya only get 4-5, but still not bad. Once even got a turkey that was browsing acorns with the deer when the doe went off. I hear telll you can do the same thing with alligators if your cannon ever melts down, but I discount that completely. I mean, who ever heard of a gater eating apples??

·
Registered
509 Posts
Farmerwilly2 I want to thank your for your ideas but I only have a few problems with it around here. I’m not sure that I can even get 000buckshot around here.
Now I really don’t have a problem with you if you want to work that monofilament line around and through that deer yourself but I don’t want to wound an animal and have it run off so I think we had better skip that.
I get three deer tags here on my farm anyway and can buy all the antlereless deer tags I want for just $7.00 each no limit.
I do fine at filling my freezer and several others around also every year.
2 years ago I killed 31 deer no bucks and had homes for all of them all legal. I think that I can still kill all the deer that I want without any help. Maybe you need some help?
I have several older folks that must come first and you will haft to be here when the kill is made. It only takes us about 20 minutes to skin, cut and wrap a small yearling. It takes just a little longer for a full size doe and a bit longer for a full size buck.
I have several buddies that help in cutting and wrapping deer. We can get er done!
Hillbillybob

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That's why you got to use red and yeller bandanas. If you was to use something like blue, or even just an old white hankerchief well they wouldn't come in close enough to get a clean kill. Good deal on getting the tags filled and lookin out for the old folks. Maybe I could give you a good tip on getting you a nice string of fish to go with them deer. Now you start with getting you a few acorn caps......

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
One time I was out Squirrel hunting with my DB.I was using a single shot .22 that I was very good with.I was walking along the side of a hill.This Squirrel about the same level was running along a limb with his tail up,I pull up and shoot the Squirrel drops.I go down pick it up.

My DB comes up,did you get him? I scared him,I was holding the Squirrel by the Hind Legs.My DB is looking it over :confused: Wait a minute,spread them Legs.

Right center the Hole! :p

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.