Teenage pup with leg deformity

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by jen74145, Nov 29, 2006.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all, could use some advice here.
    This summer, we adopted a mixed breed pup (german shepherd x border collie?) with a deformed front left leg. Where his inside toe should be, he basically has a dewclaw, and where his dewclaw should be, he has a toe. Very strange, he grasps things with it and everything. The bones in his wrist are all messed up too, they don't "look right" and you can feel how they twist.

He is an outside pup (he was having a hard time keeping his feet under him on our hardwood floors, poor guy) and his leg seems to be beginning to bother him. He limps after a nap, or when there's a nip in the air, and sometimes won't let you touch it, and if you insist, he cries. Poor baby!

Of course, I'll bring him in this winter at night, don't want my guy to be in pain, but what else can I do to ease his pain? Vet suggests meds, and perhaps when he gets older he may wind up an amputee. I don't want to give him prescription meds, as during the majority of the day he's fine and I don't want him to be all loopy. Anything holistic I can try, massage, any suggestions?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of my boy who has a deformed left front leg too. His deformity was caused when he was dropped as a TINY (like 4-5 week old) puppy and the growth plate in his ulna was broken so it didn't grow at the proper speed. Sage's injury didn't become apparent until I had had him several weeks. Sage is now 9 and only gets a prescription med on rare occassions when he's way too active. Otherwise the leg really doesn't bother him (he limps on it, but that's mostly because it's several inches shorter than the other leg).

[​IMG]

For your pup I would definitely get him started on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. For a GSD mix I'd probably start between 1000mg G/800mg C and 1500mg G/1200mg C. I wouldn't go any less than the lower dosage. You probably won't see an immediate difference in the dog, it's more of a long term supplement to keep the joints as healthy as possible.

You could also take the prescription meds but only give them on an as needed basis. They won't make him any more loopy than you taking an Advil (DON'T give the dog Advil though!).

3. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

Sarah,

What about Cartrophen? Would you recommend it for Jen?

My GSD Emma was abused by a puppy miller in the first few days of her life and her leg, which was broken in 5 places, was allowed to heal out of place. Her growth plates also closed prematurely and her radius and her ulna fused. She had orthopedic surgery to "straighten" the leg as much as possible and now, even if her leg is still crooked and a bit shorter, she uses it like a champ. I find that Cartrophen really helps her.

Lisa.

4. GoldenMom

I'm sure that wouldn't hurt! All it can do is help. If it doesn't seem to help then it can be discontinued. BTW Cartophen=Adequan in the US

5. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, thanks for the great advice, from me and my Harley!
    I'd been kicking around Glucosamine, but couldn't seem to find a recommended dosage anywhere... I'd put him at about thirty pounds at eight(?) months.

6. GoldenMom

Well at 30 pounds I'd probably go with the lower dose (I was picturing at least 50-60 pounds!), maybe even drop back to 500mg G/400mg C.