Teenage boys are more likely to be losers than teenage girls

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by primroselane, Dec 11, 2006.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Exasperated by the expanding waistlines of her ninth-grade charges, health teacher Cathy Roach got with her personal trainer this summer and devised a plan: Bribe kids to get fit.

A few corporate sponsorships and a potential copyright infringement later, MacArthur Ninth Grade School's Biggest Loser challenge was born. Modeled after the popular reality-TV show with the same name and concept, the program this week will award up to $250 to students who lost the most weight or body fat over the past 18 weeks.

At final tally, the 215 students at the Aldine ISD campus had lost 852 pounds. 206 pounds were lost by girls. 646 pounds were lost by boys

The idea of trading dollars for pounds may raise eyebrows in some circles. But the pay-for-results concept isn't new to schools, some of which give cash rewards for earning college credit on Advanced Placement exams.

And those in the trenches of the childhood-obesity battle say they are desperate for a model that works.

Just over 16 percent of teens are overweight, up from about 6 percent in the early 1970s, according to the latest figures from the National Center for Health Statistics.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4392692.html

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that was inspireing, But I thought from the heading it might have been about grades.

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Sounds like a great idea! Reading the whole article, I liked how the students were taught small changes that make a big difference and are discouraged from crash dieting.

Thanks for sharing that!

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

The military uses a similar program for its civilian employees. I say if it works, use it.

Nikki