Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very small horse boarding barn. Really small compared to most, actually. Due to RA and work schedule I find it necessary to hire the cleaning done. I've had a succession of teenagers "working" over the past three years or so.

Today was about the last straw for me. I had to fire my last kid. Even though he lives about a block away and is apparently capable of picking up the phone, he found it impossible to contact me to tell that he had been grounded to the house (4 times!), had sprained an ankle, hurt his back, was sick, or played with friends for the weekend. He also tried to tell me he worked for three hours the one Saturday when I was actually there-he worked about an hour and 15 minutes. He was incapable of actually doing the whole job at once (about 45 minutes worth if it's done regularly) so this created issues due to unsanitary conditions.

So, naturally DH passes along the word I need some help to his buddies. A kid was supposed to show up over the week, but didn't. Same kid finally calls late last night and after grilling, it seemed he would show up about 1 pm today. Because there are specific things I need done, I canceled my planned day at the state fair (and it's SUNNY!) to wait for him.

Ayup, almost three, and no show and no call.

It's not like I don't pay decent, it works out to about $10 an hour, or more. With extra pay for extra work on the weekends if they can. Not only that, I don't care when they do the work-we can work around school, etc.

Now I understand kids not really having a handle on the "you should let someone who is expecting you know you aren't coming", but what's up with the parents here? How are they helping them learn about responsibility? About work and about real life?

I am really ticked about giving up the ONE day I had to go to the Fair, only to be stood up because no one gave a thought to the convenience on the other end, not even the parents.

I hope they are enjoying the Fair!

:flame:

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
I had that happen with my babysitter when my kids were little. We would plan an evening out, line up a babysitter and have then not show up, or call an hour after they were supposed to be here (after we had called their parents) to say they were out for the night and couldn't make it. I finally gave up and quit hiring teenagers to babysit.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,468 Posts
We had to quit hiring teens, too. Just too frustrating. Between me, my best friend, my farmer friend, we went through about 20 of them. When they cost you more in damages than the benefit of having help is worth, it's time to just do it yourself or hire professionals.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
When I was a teenager I couldn't understand why people were so reluctant to hire teens. Now, I know why. Most of them have no jobs at home and don't know how to act when they get a real one. Try going to the other end of the spectrum- a retiree. There are people who like animals and would like to be around them, but not own them.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I won't hire teens anymore either unless I know in advance they are capable of working. DD and a couple of her friends are the only ones I know that will work.

Local hay growers were commenting to me about the poor work habits of teens these days compared to previous generations. When they were looking for hay workers, I called a friend of mine to let her know of work for her son, who didn't work out for me. The kid is 17 years old, 6'4" lifts weights. The mom called the employer to ask what the work entailed....and decided it was not appropriate work for her son. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, my DD in her size 4 jeans was out there busting her butt getting 5 tons of hay out of the field for a discount on price.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
I had good luck with Teens(15 on up) My only problem was they were not alowed to even run a Sewing Machine.But they was good about showing off who could get the most done.

But maybe that was the thing I had more than one working for me :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Not all teens are bad workers, I have 2 boys here, almost 17 and 15 that have held the same summer jobs all summer. Their employers have only good things to say and they are both guaranteed employment next summer. I'm sure they are not the only ones out there.

·
Administrator
21,167 Posts
I think you should speak with the parents because I'm darned sure they aren't getting the whole story. I had much the same problem and figured the parents were not teaching their kids proper work ethic till I happened to run into a dad at the post office and he said something about being sorry that I didn't have enough work to keep their kid busy. I asked what he was talking about and he said his son was telling him that I was calling to let him know that he should not bother to come to work because I didn't have anything for him to do. From then on, I found it best to work with the parents as well as the kids when scheduling them.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Pouncer said:
I have a very small horse boarding barn. Really small compared to most, actually. Due to RA and work schedule I find it necessary to hire the cleaning done. I've had a succession of teenagers "working" over the past three years or so.

Today was about the last straw for me. I had to fire my last kid. Even though he lives about a block away and is apparently capable of picking up the phone, he found it impossible to contact me to tell that he had been grounded to the house (4 times!), had sprained an ankle, hurt his back, was sick, or played with friends for the weekend. He also tried to tell me he worked for three hours the one Saturday when I was actually there-he worked about an hour and 15 minutes. He was incapable of actually doing the whole job at once (about 45 minutes worth if it's done regularly) so this created issues due to unsanitary conditions.

So, naturally DH passes along the word I need some help to his buddies. A kid was supposed to show up over the week, but didn't. Same kid finally calls late last night and after grilling, it seemed he would show up about 1 pm today. Because there are specific things I need done, I canceled my planned day at the state fair (and it's SUNNY!) to wait for him.

Ayup, almost three, and no show and no call.

It's not like I don't pay decent, it works out to about $10 an hour, or more. With extra pay for extra work on the weekends if they can. Not only that, I don't care when they do the work-we can work around school, etc.

Now I understand kids not really having a handle on the "you should let someone who is expecting you know you aren't coming", but what's up with the parents here? How are they helping them learn about responsibility? About work and about real life?

I am really ticked about giving up the ONE day I had to go to the Fair, only to be stood up because no one gave a thought to the convenience on the other end, not even the parents.

I hope they are enjoying the Fair!

:flame:
I'd give up on the teen set and start looking for an old retired guy to help out. At least they know how to work (and use a phone).

donsgal

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
not at all.... many people have several jobs.

if it only takes 45 min and he pays $10 an hour to do it, thats an extra $70 a week for some poor schmuck who needs it besides his "day job".

how many stalls are we talking about?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
not at all.... many people have several jobs.

if it only takes 45 min and he pays $10 an hour to do it, thats an extra $70 a week for some poor schmuck who needs it besides his "day job".

how many stalls are we talking about?
true enough but in looking for a helper myself these last couple of weeks Ive gone through nearly twenty aplicants from job service the longest lasting managed sticking around for nearly two hours , three more are due to show up monday Im betting none show on time if at all . wages are a min of $8 per hour with possibility of $80 per hour depending on how much they get done

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 15 yo and my 17 yo just started working at a BBQ restaurant that just opened )today is the 3rd day open) and they are working their hind ends off and have gotten compliments from the managers, about their being dependable and hard working.

My complaint is they are working them 10-13 hours without a break because they are so short staffed. But school is starting on Monday, so the long hours are about to end.

Diane

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
wncramsey said:
My 15 yo and my 17 yo just started working at a BBQ restaurant that just opened )today is the 3rd day open) and they are working their hind ends off and have gotten compliments from the managers, about their being dependable and hard working.

My complaint is they are working them 10-13 hours without a break because they are so short staffed. But school is starting on Monday, so the long hours are about to end.

Diane
Time to teach you children about employment laws unless your state is of the mind set that business can do what business wants, laws be danged.

·
Registered
746 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
I will seriously lower my moral standards for $80 an hour.

lol
I could manage a couple hours at that rate. :chicken:

I wished you lived close enough to me, I'd do it, On top of my 40 hrs a week day job. I have a mortgage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My father has a landscaping business and has a horrible time getting good workers. Most of them don't have a drivers license, can't come to work because they are high or drunk.
Unfortunately, most of the time they just don't want to work hard and still expect to make $15 an hour. It really is hard finding good help these days no matter what age. :)

Tanya

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.