Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1950-1955 I played in school band and a small band outside school. The city of St. Louis had a lot of young children on the streets after school. North , South, East, West all had their own clubs. Used to fight a lot if anyone came in our area. The city of St. Louis came up with the idea of Teen Towns. On Friday night our small band would play at dances at local Churchs and the Children would dance. 7pm-9:30 pm. This worked out very well keeping kids off the streels on friday night. I played in school band age 8-15 years old. Our small band after school played at the Teen Towns. It was a great idea and worked keeping teens off the streels at night. Methodist, Episcopal, and Catholic Churchs let us have the dances in their Churches. Sure enjoyed those days. Was there any Teen Towns in other towns in the U.S.?

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
We had a dance after the football game on Friday at the Methodist church.

·
Shazbot!
5,678 Posts
It was teen clubs (imagine a huge bar with no alcohol) with huge dance floors and plenty of softdrinks and popcorn for premium prices around here.

Lots of security which was smart!!!!!

·
The Renegade...
2,244 Posts
Nope, those of us in the smaller farming and ranching communities were too worn out from manual labor to be running around acting a fool like those in the cities... with a few minor exceptions of course.
We worked hard and played hard, but we had respect for our community and those around us.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Born in 57 we had local community centers. Only neighborhood kids. Had different age groups. Teens was the best. No one ever got kicked out for bad behavior cause it was so much fun.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
1950-1955 I played in school band and a small band outside school. The city of St. Louis had a lot of young children on the streets after school. North , South, East, West all had their own clubs. Used to fight a lot if anyone came in our area. The city of St. Louis came up with the idea of Teen Towns. On Friday night our small band would play at dances at local Churchs and the Children would dance. 7pm-9:30 pm. This worked out very well keeping kids off the streels on friday night. I played in school band age 8-15 years old. Our small band after school played at the Teen Towns. It was a great idea and worked keeping teens off the streels at night. Methodist, Episcopal, and Catholic Churchs let us have the dances in their Churches. Sure enjoyed those days. Was there any Teen Towns in other towns in the U.S.?
We had a place called the "suger shack"(think Runaways)No one over 21, no booze(in the building). Fun place. I was also in a "50's" band in jr high. We would play at a church on Saturday nights for 4 hours. That, was so much fun! That's quiet a few songs by the way. Ill never forget the first time we played there, big stage and the girls from school couldn't believe we were as good as we were. They didn't even know that we had a band! All of a sudden, i had like 10 girl friends...i was 14. Our keyboard player Fifi(Nicole) had guys all drooling. My path in life was now clear!!

Eta: we also had Van Nuys blvd to cruise on and Mulholland dr to race on!

Reactions: 101pigs
1 - 7 of 7 Posts