Ted Nugent --- Chicken killer !!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SignMaker, Jan 6, 2007.

How do you prepare your chickens for food?

1. We usually skin the chicken

2. We usually pluck the chicken

3. We usually buy the chicken from the store

4. We do not eat chicken

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SignMaker

SignMaker Well-Known Member

Have any of you seen the Ted or Alive episodes?

On one he killed a chicken (rather abruptly) with his bare hands much to the dismay of the city slickers on the show. :eek: What struck me was how easy it was to get to the meat by skinning the chicken instead of plucking it.
    Now, when I was little, we had chicken killing/plucking parties and it was the biggest mess in the world. Skinning a chicken seems so easy in comparison.
    So, here is the question.

Do you pluck or skin your chickens? And why?

:hobbyhors

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

For chicken I skin them. Turkeys and ducks are plucked As well as geese. That helps hold the moisture in on those birds.

3. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I admit that I buy mine at the store...My two birds are my pets and I can't imagine eating them...if I got birds specifically for meat, that might be a different story.

4. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

We've plucked and skinned younger adult roosters (kinda old for the "fryer-broiler" designation, but still tasty), and I think I prefer plucking. It's easier, and the skin helps retain moisture during cooking. Otherwise, you need to use an oven bag and add some water to the bottom of the roasting pan.

Ducks seem to be easier to skin though...those feathers are something else!

--> DSis

5. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Skin fryers, pluck everything else..:)

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We skin them if we are using them fresh. I think they keep from freezer burning longer if they have skin. My husband is really fast when it comes to dispatching and preparing a bird. I like to think that the quicker you grab them and do the deed, the less stress they feel at the end.

7. SignMaker

Well, it is real interesting to hear everones comments. I had asked my mother about it not to long ago, she said that she never really ever thought about skinning them. She also said that she wishes that she would have cause it would have been a lot less of a mess! :) My wife and I buy whole chickens and bonesless skinless chicken meat. We (almost)never buy chicken meat on the bone. We freeze ours and have not noticed any negative effects due to the lack of skin.

I was just thinking about this today and was wondering what you all thought. :)

8. Lolly-Dolly

Lolly-Dolly Well-Known Member

I have tried it both ways and I see a lot more freezer-burn on the skinned ones. maybe using one of those Sucker-sealing machines would help prevent that, but my experience is that the skin helps keep it from drying out. Besides.... the most fattening part is always the most tasty <grin>

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Unless I want a particular bird for smoking or roasting, we skin 'em. I use a vaccuum sealer, so no freezer burn problems, and have the birds dismembered and mostly deboned by the time they're packaged. Bones and backs and such get cooked down for meat and broth to can.

11. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

After years of the stinking mess of scaulding and plucking, then being scolded by the Doctor for eating chicken skin, I switched to skinning. No sense saving the parts you don't eat, skin, wing tips. I had an elderly neighbor that grew up on a farm that raised chickens. They were too poor to save any chickens for their own consumption, but she told me that they " pealed the feet and made soup. Some times they cooked the Pope's nose for soup, too".
    I have a friend that raises turkeys and Cornish Rocks and he always skins them. I've plucked a Canada Goose, doubt I'd do that again. Lots of work and lots of mess.
    Surprised no one has focused on 'ol Ted yanking the head off a chicken. I'm sure it was for effect and I hope it caused a few people that live (physically and mentally) far from the Farm to realize the beginnings of the process that gets them their popcorn chicken.

12. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I'm surprised Ted didn't bite the head off. He's made himself known as a killer of animals. I prefer plucked. The skin is the best part of fried chicken. I made a plucker, so the reasons are obvious. 30 seconds and it's done. If I didn't have that contraption I wouldn't do it. NO WAY!

13. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i skin. if i had a plucker i'd likely pluck a few, but everything gets skinned around here. i can process one from catch to freezer in 12 min, not rushing. that is bringing it into the house to do all the washing and bagging up one bird at a time. i think that's not too bad.

i've watched ted or alive, and i think i'd do pretty good on that show. at least i'd have no qualms on killing something i was gonna eat.

we either wrap the meat in foil and bake it slowly or it gets boiled down and canned if i'm in the mood to save a few birds and do a whole bunch at a time. makes great quick meals when it's canned....

14. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Me and my boys have watched all the Ted or Alive shows, great fun!

I don't know if this is a "spoiler" but when the people cook their chickens, they don't do it long enough, and all get sick---nyaa,nyaa!

I did like that skinning trick, like peeling off a sock right?

(uncle Ted can come whack my chickens any day! :rock:

15. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of skinning...my kids love the crispy skin on a roast chicken. We dunk them into almost-boiling water for a few seconds and the feathers just rub right off.

Our friend, Marcel-the Farmer, kills his with a scissors-type of knife...inserted into the animal's mouth with the rounded blade facing upwards, one crunch and the blade goes into the brain....he uses a cut-off traffic cone, nailed upside-down to a post, to bleed out.

16. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

We usually slow cook ours on the gill or roast them in the oven. The skin keeps the meat moist. We hardly eat the skin, most goes to the pup. We also save the down. So, plucking serves us best :)

17. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Pluck only. The reason we pluck is for cleanliness. It keeps the outside and the inside seperate untill it's all clean. Eating the skin is "bad" for you so it's not eaten but cooked.

Store bought chickens.......... If you watched a video of a slaughterhouse at work you would not eat a chicken from the store again. Think poop soup. :eek:

18. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

I skin most of mine. I do like having the skin on a roast bird, so some get plucked for roating. IMO it is much easier to peel the skin off than pluck.

19. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Nugent is an idiot and impressionable minds should not be allowed to hear or see him. One of my earliest memories is of my grandmother catching chickens and snapping their necks. Her plucking abilities were excellent and she could gut the lot in no time.

20. SignMaker

LOL I guess it is OK to highjack my own thread right? So here goes...

Why do you think that Ted is an idiot? From what I saw on the Ted or Alive shows, he was just fine in my opinion. Over the top? Sure. But it was good tv! :)

or maybe..... I am just an impressionable mind that doesn't know better. hmmmmmm. :rolleyes: