Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby is addicted to the History channel, and so we were watching hte last five minutes of a program about unsuccessful technology - things that were invented but never caught on and the like.

This one man said "In reality, even the most successful technology is unsuccessful. It hasn't saved anyone anything. In fact, we have less down time now than anyone before us ever did" (Not an exact quote...my memory may be off, but you get the gist) I couldn't believe how true that statement was...

opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Snugglebunny said:
My hubby is addicted to the History channel, and so we were watching hte last five minutes of a program about unsuccessful technology - things that were invented but never caught on and the like.

This one man said "In reality, even the most successful technology is unsuccessful. It hasn't saved anyone anything. In fact, we have less down time now than anyone before us ever did" (Not an exact quote...my memory may be off, but you get the gist) I couldn't believe how true that statement was...

opinions?
'technology' and mostly those who manage the providers of technology have foreced most people working to have less down time. That's part of it, along with a drive self management to overperform. Thus technology is needed for time saving devices, making more widgets faster to consume, and shaving any second from any process. We are slaves since 'Time' was invented and protions of each day is measured off nearly in seconds nowdays.
So in a pervers sense it seems that technology has indeed 'saved' time for processes, and has provided for inventions to help prolong human life, etc.
Technology also has provided knowledge to consider basic scientific thought that human capability allows to overcome ignorance. For example, consider the technology of the development of the microscope and all that has aided in knowledge base, which if ignored would make our lives less interesting.
On the other hand, the technology of other areas such as unrealistic expectations (mosty caused by lucrative advertising) with some devices invented either becomes useless to 'save' anything, or need upgrading on their invention, thus this drives further 'technology'.
Technology can do so many things, yet the concept of 'saving time' is the distortion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
I just found this while surfing...

LOG ON: Making a wood stove hot


LOG OFF: Too much wood on fire


MONITOR: Keep'n an eye on the wood stove


DOWN LOAD: Gitten the farwood off'n the truck


MEGA HERTZ: When yer not keerfull gitten the farwood


FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to tote too much farwood


RAM: That thar thang what splits the farwood


HARD DRIVE: Gitten home in the winter time


WINDOWS: Whut to shut when its cold outside


SCREEN: Whut to shut when its black fly season


BYTE: Whut dem dang flys do


CHIP: Munchies fer the TV


MICRO CHIP: Whut's in the bottom of the munchie bag


MODEM: Whatcha do to the hay fields


DOT MATRIX: Ole Dan Matrix's wife


LAP TOP: Whar the kitty sleeps


KEYBOARD: Whar you hang the dang truck keys


SOFTWARE: Dem dang plastic forks and knifes


MOUSE: What eats the grain in the barn


MOUSE PAD: That's hippie talk fer where the mouse lives


MAINFRAME: Holds up the barn roof


PORT: Fancy flatlander wine


ENTER: Notherner talk fer "C'Mon in y'all"


CLICK: Whut you hear when you cock yer gun


DOUBLE CLICK: When you cock the double barrel


REBOOT: Whut you have to do right before bedtime, when you have to go to the outhouse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think in particular, this show was speaking of general household technology, not medical technology, but as you said "Saving time" is distorted.

I often have to wait in line at the grocery store while the cashier sits screwing around with the register...something happens to it and (s)he needs the manager to 'fix' it. I will look at them and say "You know, there's a rumor going around that computers will make our lives easier..." to which they laugh, and then I comment "It's saying a lot coming from me, my husband is a computer technician!"

Right now, most of our technological things are broken. My coffeemaker is broken - a gasket loosened when my husband washed it last weekend. Haven't had a decent cup of coffee all week. Our toaster keeps getting stuff stuck in it, and the turntable in our microwave only turns part of the time - and only if you fiddle with it first. Our Fridge isn't working - the freezer is (sort of?), but the fridge isn't, and one VCR is not right. Our computer is never working properly despite (or because of?) all the work my husband does to it. Even our vaccuum cleaner leaves streaks on the carpet.

And yet, these things are supposed to make my life easier?

The only technnology I can see wanting is a dishwasher...I wish for a dishwasher...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Snugglebunny said:
I think in particular, this show was speaking of general household technology, not medical technology, but as you said "Saving time" is distorted.

I often have to wait in line at the grocery store while the cashier sits screwing around with the register...something happens to it and (s)he needs the manager to 'fix' it. I will look at them and say "You know, there's a rumor going around that computers will make our lives easier..." to which they laugh, and then I comment "It's saying a lot coming from me, my husband is a computer technician!"

And yet, these things are supposed to make my life easier?

The only technnology I can see wanting is a dishwasher...I wish for a dishwasher...
It's not much different about medical technology or the grocery clerk examples. Both use computerized technology. The microscope, for exmaple has developed to an 'electron' microscope and so on. Nothing stops in the march towards inventing, finding things making life 'easier' or time saving.
The example of an automatic dishwasher is classic. Think of how far they've gone in developing these from the early versions, and it's much easier to justify another technology around that, such as super duper additives to dish cleaners to be more sanitizing, faster, hotter, more capacity, etc.

jackie c.
That's a great post. :haha: I thiink I'll pass that on to some 'fast freaks' for a laugh.
 

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
Joined
·
570 Posts
Snugglebunny said:
I think in particular, this show was speaking of general household technology, not medical technology, but as you said "Saving time" is distorted.

I often have to wait in line at the grocery store while the cashier sits screwing around with the register...something happens to it and (s)he needs the manager to 'fix' it. I will look at them and say "You know, there's a rumor going around that computers will make our lives easier..." to which they laugh, and then I comment "It's saying a lot coming from me, my husband is a computer technician!"

Right now, most of our technological things are broken. My coffeemaker is broken - a gasket loosened when my husband washed it last weekend. Haven't had a decent cup of coffee all week. Our toaster keeps getting stuff stuck in it, and the turntable in our microwave only turns part of the time - and only if you fiddle with it first. Our Fridge isn't working - the freezer is (sort of?), but the fridge isn't, and one VCR is not right. Our computer is never working properly despite (or because of?) all the work my husband does to it. Even our vaccuum cleaner leaves streaks on the carpet.

And yet, these things are supposed to make my life easier?

The only technnology I can see wanting is a dishwasher...I wish for a dishwasher...
The thing about technological gadgets is the more you have the more "overhead" you have to keep them up. I am a notorious gadget collector - I think I got it from my grandfather. But at any given time something is out of batteries or gas or the electric circuit needs expanding or a plastic piece is broken, something that takes me time in dealing with. I am trying to pare back for that reason. The other thing is the kitchen gadget trap. A thingy to peel lemons a thingy to slice eggs, thingy's for everything such that when I am peeling a lemon I either can't remember I have the gadget until I am done or I can't find it!!!!

Dishwashers are great, but in the last two years I've had one fail, then a new one had a paring knife fall onto the heating element and melted a hole in the bottom of the unit! My current one is all rust colored inside, but it works. Probably should take an afternoon and scrub it all out - but there goes more time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not saying dishwashers are in any way an exception... heck no, I know from previous experience that they break just as much as everything else.

But right now we don't have one, and it's getting annoying. We live in an apt that doesn't allow us to have one, and it's killing me!

So, believe me, I want a dishwasher. I don't mind cleaning it out and fixing it and whatnot, but I can't stand having to wash the dishes by hand.
 

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
Joined
·
570 Posts
Snugglebunny said:
Not saying dishwashers are in any way an exception... heck no, I know from previous experience that they break just as much as everything else.

But right now we don't have one, and it's getting annoying. We live in an apt that doesn't allow us to have one, and it's killing me!

So, believe me, I want a dishwasher. I don't mind cleaning it out and fixing it and whatnot, but I can't stand having to wash the dishes by hand.

Oh, I agree! Notice I didn't list as one of my options throwing the thing out and adding another cupboard in it's place. :haha: I definitely feel chained to my technology sometimes rather than freed up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
So said:
snugglebunny, Think about that. It takes time loading, unloading, maintaining, and cleaning out an automatic dishwasher. There is some element of time savings, but mostly it's labor saving.
I love to wash dishes by hand. It's calming for my mind, but it's damn time consuming. I love the sport of stacking washed dishes to drip dry. Yeah, it's mindless and risky...sort of like some technologies. :haha:
 

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
Joined
·
570 Posts
moonwolf said:
So said:
snugglebunny, Think about that. It takes time loading, unloading, maintaining, and cleaning out an automatic dishwasher. There is some element of time savings, but mostly it's labor saving.
I love to wash dishes by hand. It's calming for my mind, but it's damn time consuming. I love the sport of stacking washed dishes to drip dry. Yeah, it's mindless and risky...sort of like some technologies. :haha:

A guy who likes to wash dishes!!! :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, for me...it's not calming to wash them by hand. Especially when you have two sick preschoolers fighting, fussing, fuming, screaming and tired in the next room, throwing a fit because you are out of their line of vision. I just don't like washing them, and because my husband doesn't either, they frequently don't get done, which means they are left there making the pile bigger and bigger, making me not want to do them even MORE...

It's a horrible cycle, isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
moonwolf said:
I feel the same way. We had an earthquake several years ago. I'd just finished a big load of dishes and had fun stacking and interweaving them carefully in the drainer when it struck, and it was a biggie. Not one dish fell off the drainer. I was so proud! :haha: I've gotten better at housework and usually do the dishes twice day, but I find I actually miss this game at times.

Now, a clothes washer--THAT I couldn't live without!

Chris
 

·
STILL not Alice
Joined
·
19,808 Posts
The common thread I see running through these posts is the concept of "time".

Somehow, all our techno-toys have given us the illusion that we need more time, we have to save time, if we don't hurry up we're going to lose time... I heard a most alarming commercial on the radio the other day, some guy bemoaning the fact that people in line ahead of him are actually *stealing* his time by not hurrying enough!

Fact is, we each of us have about the same amount of time as everyone else, more or less. And how it is spent is not always according to the schedule we would choose.

Could it be that we're so caught up in saving time, speeding along in our lives, that we forget to just BE who we are in the moment we have right now? And isn't that all we really do have -- this moment?

I want off the treadmill. I don't need to work against time. I just want to be.

Pony!
(wondering if it's the meds that make me feel so philosophical at the moment, and if anything I just typed makes any sense...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Pony said:
The common thread I see running through these posts is the concept of "time".

Somehow, all our techno-toys have given us the illusion that we need more time, we have to save time, if we don't hurry up we're going to lose time... I heard a most alarming commercial on the radio the other day, some guy bemoaning the fact that people in line ahead of him are actually *stealing* his time by not hurrying enough!

Fact is, we each of us have about the same amount of time as everyone else, more or less. And how it is spent is not always according to the schedule we would choose.

Could it be that we're so caught up in saving time, speeding along in our lives, that we forget to just BE who we are in the moment we have right now? And isn't that all we really do have -- this moment?

I want off the treadmill. I don't need to work against time. I just want to be.

Pony!
(wondering if it's the meds that make me feel so philosophical at the moment, and if anything I just typed makes any sense...)
Pony,

A good book to read about time I've recently read is
"In Praise of Slowness".

I think it's more how we define our purposefulness towards our defined use of time. It could be an individual effort in how we want to control that time for ourselves. :)

Rich
 

·
STILL not Alice
Joined
·
19,808 Posts
moonwolf said:
Pony,

A good book to read about time I've recently read is
"In Praise of Slowness".

I think it's more how we define our purposefulness towards our defined use of time. It could be an individual effort in how we want to control that time for ourselves. :)

Rich
Oh, I just love the title! Hmmm... I think I'll ask someone to RUN over to the library and get it for me RIGHT NOW!!! :haha:

Seriously, sounds good. I have lots of uncommitted time for a couple of weeks, and I will definitely get a copy and read it.

Thanks! :)

Ivy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Pony said:
Oh, I just love the title! Hmmm... I think I'll ask someone to RUN over to the library and get it for me RIGHT NOW!!! :haha:

Seriously, sounds good. I have lots of uncommitted time for a couple of weeks, and I will definitely get a copy and read it.

Thanks! :)

Ivy

Yes, Ivy, The book has some good points also about the 'slow food movement' that might have some good homestead applications to think about.
I got something out of it. It was worth the 'time' to read it, and I didn't even delegate someone to 'rush' out to get it before the library closing 'time'. I got it on my 'slow time' one day when I designated it to be my work day off. :haha:

I still can't believe how much I snack on 'fast foods' and I hate it. This book will make one aware of that, so beware the guilt trip that might beset you upon reading this book. :D
 

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
Joined
·
570 Posts
There is a movement under way about the time issue. American's work longer hours than any other civilization. There has been a "take back your time" movement started. Their "day" is observed on October 24th. See the link below. I've never had the "time" to participate in their activities though. :rolleyes:

Take Back your time link
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top