Teat trouble?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TWOGOATS, Apr 4, 2005.

1. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

For the past couple of days, my hands have kinda gotten wet when I milk my goat, Cinnamon. I think, weird, cause I didn't have wet hands to start with. I just assume that I got milk on my hands from putting them too close to the orofice (spelling?). This morning, Cinn came in with what looked like a half-milked udder -- normally she is really bagged up, this time her skin was looser. I think, weird, she must not have drunk enough water last night. At midday milking, I investigate the cause of the wet teats, and discover that the teat itself is leaking milk!! Seriously, if I squeeze very hard to milk, little milk-droplets appear on her teat! The milk comes right through the teat. Has anyone had trouble with this before, and what did you do about it?

Thanks!

P.S. I do spray Fight-Bac mastitis control stuff on her teats after milking.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of it before but not personally dealt with it...I think the idea is to use the main orifice and "patch" up the others. I do know that vets carry something like "DErmabond" used on people. Its like liquid stitches and bandaid all in one... My first thought for my own herd would be to call and discuss problem with vet....and see if he recommends that treatment and see if the vet will let you do it on your ownor if you need more expertise.The feed store and Hoeggers I think both carry the stuff.

Keep it clean in the mean time.

3. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

Thanks for the advice. Although I would rather not see the vet unless absolutely necessary, I have started putting "New Skin" on the teats. We'll see if it works!

4. calicosheep

calicosheep New Member

5. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

No, the last time the babies nursed off her was when they were 24 hours old, and that was two weeks ago. Since then, they have had no chance at nursing, as they have been kept in the house and given the royal treatment. It is pretty easy to milk her; I don't think her orifices are tight.

Some questions about leaky teats:
    1. Is the problem genetic?
    2. Will it get worse over time?
    3. Is it something the goat can heal?
    4. Is it a bacteria or something?
    etc.