Teat tape question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, May 11, 2006.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I never even thought of this to wean my little girl without having to remove her(have no place else to put her outside and don't want to lock her in a stall) until I read it on another post! Ingenious! Now, where do I get this and exactly how do you use it? Do you wrap the whole teat? Do I need to worry about her getting it off and trying to eat the tape? I have been so wanting to milk my doe but with her still nursing (and getting quite fat on milk and hay!)it's impossible to get anything. I took her brother out and put him with my other buck but just didn't know what to do with her.

Thanks for the help!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

3. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

we wrap in a u shape down, under and back up along the teat, and then around it with another piece to be sure it stays on. we use the tape made by 3M--the kinds that "breathes" or whatever the ad says!

one of our Lamanchas was nursing from her mom at age 8 months, and would still do it if we let her, although she is now a mom herself!

Vanessa

4. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

We tried taping the first year we had kids. I used the 3M kind. We put a strip from front to back to cover the teat opening, then another strip around the teat to keep the other secure. You still will want to let the teat "air out" for a while between tape changes, or the skin will look like it does when you leave a bandaid on too long. Be careful not to put tape on tight, just lay it on. The problem we had was that the kids were sooo stubborn, and would bite the teat in frustration, or tear the tape off with their teeth. I think they were around five months old.

5. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help! I sure hope this works or we'll be trying to figure a way to buy more fence for the babies.

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

When I use teat tape, I also spray with a bitter spray that's to keep dogs from chewing hot spots. Petco Pet Gold, I think. I put the tape on, then spray the teat. That way, when the kid goes to nurse, not only does it get no milk, it also gets a mouthful of the bitterest non-toxic substance known to man. I like the 3M paper tape, an inch wide. Put it on kind of loose, then mush it onto the teat so when the teat expands as it fills, the tape has some give to it.