Teat spraying in all directions?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, Apr 14, 2006.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi,
    this morning on of my doe's teats was spraying, not coming down in a stream like usual. Her udder checked fine-no heat or hard spots and the milk seemed fine as well.
    Any ideas?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

When any of my milkers do that, it is usually a slight "plug" in the end of the teat causing the milk to spray out to the sides and everywhere. If you are gentle and use your fingernails, you can usually pull it right out, its no bigger than a crumb. Or sometimes using a warm wet towel to clean the end of the teat will rub the plug out.

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have a doe that does that, she forms plugs real well and hers are usually quite large. If I don't take it out before milking it will spray everywhere, sometimes the first milking will pop it out and its like an explosion. I don't like that and try to remove it before hand with regular cleaning before milking.

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yep! They both said it. It's just some of the plug that didn't come out.
    I can usually get it out by just a stripping pinch and squeeze at the tip of the teet but you might want to look to see how big the piece of plug is and how hard before doing that.

5. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

This is why some people milk the first few strips into a cup. Those first few are where a lot of your bacteria count will come from.

6. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Yep, there was a little crumb at the end. No problems. thanks so much for the help