Teat Rash

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Smoky Rain, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

We have two does (Nubian and Toggenburg) that we have been milking that have developed a rash on their teats. I have tried BagBalm - but haven't had any luck getting rid of it.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this and how to treat? It reminds me of a heat rash except the bumps are raised and run from the middle of the teat to the top...

The milk is still fine in quality and quantity, and there are no other apparent problems.

Thanks in advance for your responses regarding this.

Smoky Rain

2. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

HI, I AM NOT SURE WHAT IT COMES FROM BUT I HAVE 2 MOM'S THAT HAVE IT. ONE IS A MILK GOAT. THEY ARE ROUGH SPOTS AND SOME HAVE PUSE IN THEM AND BREAKE OPEN. I HOPE YOU FIND OUT, I THOHGT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE. IT HELPS TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT. I ALSO TRYED BAGBLAM WITH NO HELP. I DID USE TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC ON THEM AND IT DID SEEMS TO HELP. I DID START USING GLOVES TO MILK BECAUSE I DID NOT KNOW IF I COULD GET ANYTHING FROM IT OR IF IT WAS JUST THE GOATS. I AM WONDERING IF IT IS NOT FROM THE KIDS WITH THEIR TEETH. ONE NEW MOM HAS IT REALLY BAD AND HER KIDS ARE ONLY 2 WEEKS.
    THANKS FELCIA

3. Smoky Rain

Thank you for your reply goat mother.

I will try the triple antibiotic, and see if that helps...

Good to hear that I'm not alone in this. I've been doing a little research on it, and I'm having trouble finding anything about it online. I'm going to sit down with Goatkeeping 101 and a few other books this evening and see if they mention it.
    I don't believe that it is contagious. I've been milking them without gloves, and I haven't come down with anything. The bumps haven't really gotten worse yet... or better for that matter. I'm wondering if they are some type of bug bites.

Smoky

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

We pass this staph dermatitis from one doe to the next. You shouldn't be hand milking without gloves unless your hands are as smooth as a little girls. All the scratches and raw skin on our hands spread staph. Stop using all the balms and salves. Especially with heat and humidity the envirnonment between the salve and skin is the perfect one for growing more staph! Think dry. Use a teat dip, whatever you prefer and then spray the teats with a mixture of 1/4 cup clorox regular bleach and 1 gallon of water. Always think dry when dealing with stuff on goats skin. Clean the barn, wet damp old bedding, especially in humid weather adds to the staph populations in the barn.

Fireants can also bite up does udders. Lime can also cause problems on teats that are wet or leaking milk.

Once you clear this up, take extra care in washing your hands between milking the does.

You can also vaccinate the does for staph, which will remind their immunity that they do in fact have pretty good immunity to staph. The lysigin vaccine from Jeffers works really well. Vicki

5. Smoky Rain

Thank you Vicki. I was hoping for a response from you, and as always - you are so knowledgeable where does are concerned.
    Hopefully now I'll be able to clear this up quickly.

Thanks again!
    Smoky

6. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

I Am Very Thankful To You Vicki!!!!!! You Have Helped In So Much Of Our Problems Around This Fram.
    Felica