teat infection - mastitis?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lessard, Sep 21, 2004.

1. lessard

lessard Member

hello all, I just dicover this forum and it is really nice :D

I will have 2 sheeps about 9 month old next month and I am answering if I can let them with the goat I have: A friend give it to me and I keep it as a pet because she have an old infection in one «teat» (not sure of the right term to use). White stuff coming out the teat that I remove from time to time.
    Don't know where she was before, don't know since when she have that.

Is it contagious? Do my female sheep can have it? Is there a simple way to treat that problem?
    Do you have good web links for informations?

thanks
    Marie

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Mast means, breast/udder
    Itis means, inflammation of

So :) it this is a teat wound infection, no she does not have mastitis. I would however get her up on a milkstand or have someone who knows a little about goats, really look this does udder. You definently want to deal with this problem now while she is dry and not wait until she kids.

They make cannulas that you can insert into the teat to keep it open, these are medicated. They make infusions that you can purchase for dry cows, that you can insert partially and squish this medication into the teat to help heal it. At the same time you will likely want to put her on injections of penicillin.

But until we get more information, which means temp, what's the teat really look like. What happens when you milk it. Is the white fluid coming from the udder or the teat? Is the udder warm, is there fluid in it, in each side? Do you feel lumps inside the udder or teat?

Of course you would never want to put an animal with an undiagnosed problem in with your other stock.

Worse case scenerio is that this is a CL abscess that has burst in her udder, the exude is infecting not only your other stock but your place. Vicki

3. lessard

lessard Member

when I «milk» her the white viscous liquid come from the teat. The teat is harder (mostly on the tip) and shorter than the other one.
    The goat do not move or dislike when I touch her teat, do not seem to hurt. maybe I can post a picture but I don't know how and if I can.
    Do cannulas for goat the same than those for cows?
    I hope it is not an cl abcess, look bad...

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yes the cannula's are exactly the same. Dr. Naylor used to be the brand years ago, you can find them in most livestock catalogs. They are medicated to clear up infection, yet keep the orifice open. vicki