Teary, white and red eye and NO VET.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rn71953, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rn71953

rn71953 rn71953

I posted several days ago about my goat who had a clear teary eye for 3 days and then on the 4th day the eye became cloudy and now a red ring in the inside and she is blind now in that eye she was started on tobramycin eye drops (By Phone) from a Vet he doesn't see goats,I tried this drop for 2-3 days they were extreamly difficult to administer and now using NFZ Puffer (Nitrofurazone) instead of the tobramycin it's easier to administer but I can't see any improvement. I called 2 vets and none of them treat goats, I'm waiting for the last vet to call me back but they ususally don't treat goats either. So I want to know about this LA200 I know it's an antibiotic, the goat weighs close to 200lb I'm guessing (she's nubian/alpine mix.)I called the feed store and they do have it, how often and for how long would I give this medication. The poor thing is probably going to be at my mercy because I can't find a Dr for her. Any other suggestion, I'm sure she is in a lot of pain and I'm in tears, and feel helpless.

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I had an elderly Nigerian doe (still do!) with pinkeye, last spring. After messing about with eyedrops and such, I got the LA200 and just dripped it directly into her eye, using a syringe without the needle. Cleared it right up.

4. TC

TC Well-Known Member

No matter what you use, it might take a few days or a week to clear up. It basically has to run it's course, and the meds are mainly used to keep the risk of secondary infection from setting in. Don't worry, she should be fine in time. I hope this help you :)

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Put the LA 200 in the eye (no needle) try to administer enough to cover the entire eye. Then give an injection of the LA 200 (1cc per 25lbs).

6. rn71953

rn71953 rn71953

Thanks for your post one of the Vet's did give a referral Vet's number to me I called it but it's about 40 miles from here and she suggested I put table salt in the eye, that sound so cruel, I did get some Normal Saline eye wash and sprayed that in her eye today, I have been told so many different remedys even triple antibiotic ointment that say's DO NOT GET IN EYES. The poor thing has started running from me when she sees me and has become extreamly nervous, at this point I feel the stress I'm causing her by trying to treat her is worse than the eye problem. One of my thoughts was, if she was out in the field it could be a week or more before I knew, what would happen if I just did nothing? The eye is so cloudy I just don't see how anything that ugly could clear up.

7. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I know it's hard to believe that it can clear on it's own, but it can. But the big "what if" factor here, is secondary infection. If she doesn't get an additional infection, in a few weeks, you will begin to see the pupils of the eyes again and then all the white cloudiness will go away. If you decide to let it clear on it's own, you must lead her to water several times a day. I would try to clean the eye area with a warm rag daily, just like you would a child with pink eye. I would scrub your own hands before and after handling her, it is contagious. I would also isolate her from the rest of you goats. If you notice any additional problems, increased swelling, bad smell, discharge from the eye that is heavier or a different color, you are then probably dealing with an additional infection, that may not heal on it's own. I personally, in my own goats, have let it run it's course with no treatment to the eye, but I usually give an injection to ward off a possible secondary infection.

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I agree with the LA200 as a shot & also some droped right into the eye. It will be better in time & she should not lose her sight permanately.

9. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

The salt isn't cruel. It works.

10. rn71953

rn71953 rn71953

Update:
    I'm spraying her eye with normal saline eye irrigation solution there is very little drainage coming from her eye now, she is blind at this time and the eye is cloudy with a red ring all the around the eye ball, I'm leaning now to an injury from the neighbors dogs chasing her,does pink eye occur in the winter time? the other eye seems fine and there's no drainage from it. She is my only goat, this has been more tramatic to me that to my elsie goat, she is finally coming back around to let me pet her it was total avoidance she is still cautious and looks for the spray bottle in my pocket.

11. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

oh poor thing! I hope that if it is permanent she adaps soon.

12. pookshollow

The eye has a remarkable ability to heal itself. I've had several experiences with that.

1) I had a pony with a 1/2 inch gash right through her cornea. I did everything the vet said to do (she also said that the mare would probably go blind) and when I sold her, I couldn't remember which eye had been hurt.

2) Teddy, my big Paint, had what the vet first diagnosed as uveitis (moon blindness). We treated him with steroids for several months - no improvement. I finally took him to the University of Guelph Large Animal Clinic. They thought he had an abscess in his eye, and that steroids were the absolute worst thing to use. We stopped the steroids, the blood vessels grew right across his eye (looked like a vampire LOL), then receded and the eye healed up beautifully.

3) I've seen a foal with both corneas completely white, because it and its dam had burrs in their manes, forelocks and tails, and its eyes had gotten scratched. Healed up fine.

Something that is very soothing to sore eyes is cold, strong black tea - the tannin apparently helps. I think you'll find that she's going to be just fine. If she does actually go blind in one eye, she will adapt. I had a dog go completely blind at the age of 9, she lived to be 16.

13. rn71953

rn71953 rn71953

I soooo appreciate all your comments, today Elsie let me pet her and took some twigs from me, and she's still jumping up and down on her little platform my son made her, no matter what happens I will love her and take care of her till she goes to goat heaven.

14. pookshollow

Yep, that's my attitude too! :) I can't tell you how many people asked if I was going to put my dog down when she went blind. :flame: Teddy, my horse, is an eventer - so I figured if he went blind in one eye, he would just have a career change, to dressage and maybe competitive trail. He's going to be here with me until the very end. :angel: