tears

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by canadianmandy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

Flicka is eating real well ...she is drinking well to but her leg is broke ...Its not one of her front legs its her back leg. I am not sure when It happened ... the leg did seem to be weak since last week but she was still walking around and yesterday when we were tring to get her to stand (when I read about using the wheel barrel thing) her leg cracked or popped but she seemed ok and was still walking.... (she wasnt often in her "pen" When I wake up in the morning I put a diaper on her and she has the "run" of the house. Well last night after she had been put in her pen (she went in the pen 5-6ish) she ate her grain and hay and drank water and last night when I was talking to eieiomom I left to give her her shots (her BoSe) and I noticed her leg was broken (I have a habit of massaging her legs and the needle goes into her back leg. I do not know if it is broken or out of joint (she is my first sheep). No Vets will look at her they say that they do not do sheep... or they do not do broken legs and or they dont want to b/c she hasnt walked before so they do not think there is a point. My parents have left it up to me to decide what to do to her. she doesnt appear to be in alot of pain she scoots around in her pen to get water and food ... she still tries to eat anything. Im watching her eat hay now she hasnt lost her spark ... but how do I know if its just wishful thinking Is there a chance in life for her... If I put her down am I losing a chance to see her walk? Did I just prolong her death (which was coming upon her at my friends house) just a few weeks for nothing? would I be being cruel not to put her down? Does anyone know how to splint a leg?? has anyone had their sheep break their back legs.. I really need your advice and prayers... this is somthing tears wont fix. and if they could I have it covered.
    ~`*Mandie&Flicka*`~

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know but I heard that you can splint a leg with pop-sicle sticks and tape. I will be praying for her and for you. If she is still doing well, other than her leg I think that you should wait and see. Good Luck I will be praying for you and Flicka. Good Luck, bye.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Oh Mandi, after all that you have gone through with this lamb, I'm not sure what to tell you. It doesn't help that you don't know if it's a dislocated hip or a broken bone.

I am disgusted at your vets. Over here vets will look at any animal from pet mice through to a thoroughbred horse irrespective of whether they are well versed in that field or not - and if they're not, they will contact vets that are.

I've puzzled about what I would do in the same circumstances, taking into consideration an animals ability to deal with broken bones or dislocation - and their ability to deal with them is much better than ours. I have a pet pig that fell off the back porch as a piglet, a distance of about 3 feet. She squealed and got up and ran away on four legs. The next day she was carrying the leg that she had fallen on so I took her to the vet. X-ray showed a broken bone and they told me to put her down. Like hell. She spent 9 months carrying her front leg then it abcessed at the point of the break. Once it had cleared up she started to walk on all four legs. She is now nearly 10 years of age and the only sign of damage is a slight limp if she walks too far. I also had the use of a bull that had broken a hind leg as a calf. Now this is normally a no-go zone with cattle and particularly bulls as they need their hind legs for mounting. His owners has put a lot of time into him and he went on to become a very good bull. So, it doesn't all have to be bad.

I think at this stage of it, I would persevere if the lamb is eating, drinking and alert BUT taking on board that you may have to make a decision if things don't improve. Even if she survives this latest set-back the chances are very high that she will suffer from arthritis in her joints as she gets older.

It's always a hard one Mandi and I take my hat off to you (and your Mum and Dad for helping) and know that if nothing else, you will have tried and learnt a lot in the doing so.

Take care,
    Ronnie

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Its the lack of diagnosis that stops every thing. If you've been injecting into the rear leg you may have hit the siatic (sp?) nerve and she's simply carrying the leg. If its a break in the lower leg it should be wrapped in cotton splinted and then taped to prevent movement.

5. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

I too am surprised that a vet would turn someone away, maybe the circumstances were misunderstood ?
    We are very fortunate to have an excellent vet, although this hasn't always been the case. Unfortunatly a road trip here would require a 9 and a half hour drive !
    I know people that have brought their chickens with broken legs or wings to be pinned by another vet in our area as well.
    While chatting with Mandie last night I suggested that her mom call the University vet hospital and set up an appointment, whether for x-rays or an exam to see what her options were. I know they will not turn her away (I attended that University and know they are known to have a goot Vet program), this will be a long drive and prove to be expensive, but may be able to provide some hope.
    As Ross mentioned, I did forget to mention the idea of the muscle injury that could have happened while giving an injection.

Good Luck Mandie :)

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

After all of the work you've done with that sweet little lamb, she's very much a pet. If she were mine, I'd see what I could do to get her over this hump. Animals are amazingly resilient if you give them half a chance.

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Does anyone on this forum live near by ?? How about posting on the goat forum cows ect. I could splint the leg but not over the computer.

8. canadianmandy

Flicka woke up this morning and Im am regretful to say she will no longer wake up.. She did see a vet today and her back leg was shattered and even if she did recover from her injury she still wouldnt walk because her legs never would have adapted to carrying her weight. I did not let her go with a bullet it seems to cruel so I paid the vet to put her to sleep ... It was his first ever "livestock" that he had ever put down. He didnt accept my money and he did it for free. I do not know if she would have ever walked ... but I did not want her to go through any more pain. The vet thinks that the leg was already affected when we got her ... and because of the selenium deficiency her bones were brittle. I learned alot from her and I can only hope that I gave her as much as she gave me. I will always miss her and she will remain in my heart.. I spent alot of time with her this morning and I am left with the picture of her looking up into my eyes and doing this snort thing she always does when shes happy. Here are some picture I took of her last night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was a really hard choice to make expecially after working with her so much.. I only wish she could have experienced walking normally. Thank you for all the advice you guys gave me it really was a help I only hope that someone else in future can learn from this and maybe find a cure for what happened to Flicka. Still in my heart I wonder what hurts more death or pain? Her last momments of life were in my Daddys arms I am sure she felt peace there. Thanks everybody for your Prayers and Special thanks to Eieiomom .. you really know how to make someone smile.
    This will be my last signiture like this but its thanks from Flicka to..
    Love....
    ~`*Mandie&Flicka*`~

9. Patty0315

I am so sorry. Know that you did all you could. She had love and was well taken care of. Don't give up on getting more animals and loving them. It may not always be easy but it is worth it.

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry! That's never an easy decision to make, even when you know in your heart it's the right one. She was obviously very much loved, and I don't think anyone could have taken better care of her.

11. sheepgal

sheepgal Member

Mandy, you did the best thing for her. Legs can be splinted, and the breaks can heal, but if the leg was actually shattered, it never would have healed correctly and she would always have had problems. You did right by the lamb, and it was good that she had you to love and care for her during her short life. That's a lot more than many animals ever have.
    Well, done, little shepherd.
    Sunni
    www.m-t-ranch.com

12. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

She looks like a little darling thing. She must have been so sweet. See about getting another lamb, sheep are such wonderful things. I usedto raise them, and plan to start up again this spring. I used to have border cheviots and they are really pretty sheep.

I am sure your kindness to her was felt by her and under the cercumstances, you probably did the right thing.

Good luck

13. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am SO sorry! I don't know what to say, I hope that you feel better. I am just SO sorry. Bye.

14. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say either because I've been there and done it and know there is nothing that can be said. Mandi, I'm sure you will have the heartfelt sympathy of everybody who has followed this thread. You gave your best for her and nobody could ask for more than that.

Chin up and take care - and it's made me cry, stupid old fool that I am.
    Ronnie

15. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Mandie,

Sounds like it was a necessary decision and give you so much credit for letting her go when that was the best thing to do for her.
    This is the most difficult part of sharing life with animals.
    You seem to be a very mature young lady and have wonderful future plans and dreams.
    Flicka was so very lucky to share her short and happy life with you and I think she has a special place in many of our hearts as well, (my daughter has been giving me hugs while I also share tears for you and Flicka).
    You are also very fortunate to have such supportive parents.
    Somewhere I have a copy of the poem "Rainbow Bridge " and will send it to you, it seems to help when having to say "so long" to a loved animal.
    I am sure it has sometimes been difficult to tell the forum what was going on, but others learn and benefit from your experiences, both positive and negative.
    I look forward to hearing about you and Precious as you share your shepherding adventures together, life with animals will always be a learning experience as you care and share your life with them.

Hugs,
    Deb

16. canadianmandy

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your support to my lil girl. each of you have been a great encouragement and helped her in many ways that you might never know. May our Heavenly Father bless each of you. If you are interested I posted a Blog in reference to Flicka and Mandy. Please feel free to read it if you like:

http://www.waytruthlife.com/actsfellowship/

Then click on the "Blog Link" on the left. I want to tell Mandy's friends how very proud her daddy is of her. Thank you all again!

-David

17. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am sorry to read about Flicka Mandy, you did what could be done and hopefully you're not too discouraged.

18. Patty0315

Is anyone local who may be willing to give her a lamb ?? I would but I am in NNY.

19. canadianmandy

I was given a baby lamb last spring before I moved to Mo and Our friends have been taking care of her b/c we are not set up for her and there is no grass on our land... We were going to plant some but winter paid us a visit ... It is warmer now and it looks like it may stay warm so we are going to try and plant some... She is expecting to lamb the end of March ... I cant wait to have her... Thank you for being so willing to give me another lamb it gives me joy to know you care.
    ~`*Mandie*`~

20. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Mandy. Having lost a couple lambs here this year, I know how heartwrenching it can be, especially after you've spen so much time and energy on trying to keep them healthy. Just know that Flicka was a gift, and learn from what she's given you.