TeacupLiz

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Patty0315, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Could you post here or email me what you have had to go thru for your raw milk liscencse ? We are thinking about it in the future "maybe" I will not affect your sales as I am far north ! Also have you talked to the guy from central NY who wants to start hauling goat milk ?

Thanks , Patty
    forbesfarm@msn.com

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Hi Patty and other goat friends-
    I would never worry about you taking my business as there is a great need for raw milk. Where are you, as I am in the upper most part of WesternNY as far north as you can get in these parts. LOL
    First thing I would do is get a local inspector out to see your place and let you know the best way to get certified. We had a old milk house and cow barn- I put a good amount of money into- hot water, SS tank, cement milk stand and total gutting and redoing the milk house. It has to have a drain- set up no closer then 18" from the milk tank drain. With 30'' clearance around tank- spot lights ect.. I just took one rule at a time and still have to test goats milk and blood. Then I will get my certifcate- the inspector as been great help and easy to work with.
    I have talked to the guy picking up milk but there is no-one in my area but me with milk to sell and I feel that there is a need for raw milk so I am going this way. If I would like to increase my herd and fill my 250gal. tank I could do the milk pick up. At this point at peak I will be making about 20 gallons a day. That is still a lot of goats to milk. Feel free to ask any questions if you or anyone else needs help. There are a few Co-Ops starting where you share a tank and all add your milk to that one tank to be shipped. You would still need a clean place to milk but no tank or milk house saving a big cost-
    Hope this helps some-Liz
    Teacup Farm

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I always read these posts with interest - I am in Arizona, so not exactly what I need, but every bit of information helps!

I called the head dairy control person here and asked for goat dairy requirements and got a thirty page paper on cow dairy requirements.....What the hay? THAT'S helpful, lol. I need twelve foot ceilings so the goaties don't bump their little ol' heads. :rolleyes:

Maybe now that there are two goat dairies in Arizona - I can call and have him come out and inspect my building and tell me if it will work or not, retrofitting it.

Thanks for all the info!
    Niki

5. Teacupliz

Niki-

That is what they sent me too the COW Regs. But when the inspector came out to my farm and he high lighted what pertained to me and goats. I may also be getting a certificate to sell Raw cows milk also. and I am working with the state to make it a bit easier for the next person.

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Maybe my evil plan will work! lol I think I will call them over before I get started on my milking room.

Thanks;
    Niki

7. Teacupliz

Niki--

Good luck-- and share with us how it goes. I know each state has it's own set of rules.
    I tried to get some goat friends to start a Co-op with me but they do not feel the start up cost is worth it. I know I have a lot of money invested and pray to sell all of my product.

Liz
    Teacup Farm